Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 14:02   #661

Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I seem to remember that RH had, besides all the boat problems and the sick child, a wife with essentially zero passage experience. IIRC, she wrote about how unhappy being offshore made her... this added to the work load of caring for two children, one a sick infant.

So, Eric was really singlehanding the boat as well as being burdened with helping cope with the other problems on board. He didn't have a chance by that time. I think that the sat phone issue is a red herring. I can't imagine what he could have learned over that phone, had it continued to function, that would have made the rescue unnecessary. The child needed competent medical help.

But none the less, compared to the FH, he was well off: he had lots of time at sea in his previous life o n sport fishing boats (IIRC). He had successfully sailed the boat as far as the SOC. The boat was of a conventional and successful design. The FH could say none of those things... the only similarity is the need for rescue.

IMO, they represent two different degrees of poor seamanship and preparation, and Eric's, while ultimately unsuccessful, was incomparably better than Hot Rod's.

Jim
That's been my point all along. If one is really prepared for a journey like that, there shouldn't be any problems when one casts off the lines. So what if you have to wait a little longer to complete repairs and wait for another or better weather window, it's better than taking unnecessary risks with your loved ones.

To me, it was like taking off for a cross country trip with bald tires and a car that hadn't been tuned up in a year. Except it's a lot worse out at sea.

FH took off in a horribly laughable home built rig, that was a predictable outcome.

Variable degrees of failure...

Reminds me of a scene from "True Lies."

Quote:
Faisil: "It's a scale really, with a perfect mission at one end and a total pooch screw at the other, and we're right about in the middle."
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 14:11   #662

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That's an assumption on your part. I'm working from memory based on RH's own posts.
No looks like fact
I better edit that the armchair part

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 14:31   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
No looks like fact
I better edit that the armchair part

Of course, as most civilized people do.

What are you sitting on while pontificating on the web? The floor?
Old 07-02-2015, 14:49   #664

Quote:
Of course, as most civilized people do.

What are you sitting on while pontificating on the web? The floor?
Lol true dat

Old 07-02-2015, 15:03   #665

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...my main point was you speculating without facts from an armchair.
Quote:
That's an assumption on your part. I'm working from memory based on RH's own posts.
Feel free to clarify and verify my assumption.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 15:20   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Feel free to clarify and verify my assumption.
I'm not going to bother wasting my time with searching for quotes.

I have a fairly good memory and I recall that he couldn't raise anyone on HF for whatever reason, despite the number of Pacific Marine nets out there (at least 14 that I'm aware of), he had a leak from somewhere on deck that he couldn't stop and required manual bilge pumping every hour or so, before they left he removed a diesel tank and replaced it with one 1/4 the size of the original, they were low on battery power for whatever reason, there was discussion that he'd lost steering (not sure if that was true), the Sat phone stopped working (not his fault, but still a problem), the child was sick prior to the trip and relapsed shortly after departure, and so on. That's all from memory.

I'm not bashing him, things happen; believe me, my luck is almost always worse than his. That's why I just don't take any unnecessary chances with anything that I do have control over, like maintenance, checking for leaks, the electrical system, replacing or repairing a tank, etc. I would opt for more fuel storage, not less.
Old 07-02-2015, 15:30   #667

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
any more news about fh?? just wondering

what I don't understand is why did they have a pregnant lady on board,
she could have taken a bus to LA and meet them there and not risk life.
They were going to Hawaii. Of course some of the FH will likely make it to LA.........

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 16:25   #668

Boat: Able 50

The strange thing is that Hawaii would be one of the most boater unfriendly places there is. Imagine the trouble he would have had parking that thing.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 17:23   #669

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I seem to remember that RH had, besides all the boat problems and the sick child, a wife with essentially zero passage experience. IIRC, she wrote about how unhappy being offshore made her... this added to the work load of caring for two children, one a sick infant.

So, Eric was really singlehanding the boat as well as being burdened with helping cope with the other problems on board. He didn't have a chance by that time. I think that the sat phone issue is a red herring. I can't imagine what he could have learned over that phone, had it continued to function, that would have made the rescue unnecessary. The child needed competent medical help.

But none the less, compared to the FH, he was well off: he had lots of time at sea in his previous life o n sport fishing boats (IIRC). He had successfully sailed the boat as far as the SOC. The boat was of a conventional and successful design. The FH could say none of those things... the only similarity is the need for rescue.

IMO, they represent two different degrees of poor seamanship and preparation, and Eric's, while ultimately unsuccessful, was incomparably better than Hot Rod's.

Jim
I am curious. What medical help did the child obtain?

I assume that if before the times of Sat phone and EPIRBS they would not have gone at all. Because every parent knows kids get sick fast. They also get over things fast.
I would never venture out like that but it is really because I would not tolerate being cooped up with kids underfoot all the time. I don't care much for kids. Kids belong, for the most part, in the cave........with mom, the known primary care giver for small children. Some thing to do with genetics I believe.
Old 07-02-2015, 17:30   #670

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The strange thing is that Hawaii would be one of the most boater unfriendly places there is. Imagine the trouble he would have had parking that thing.
He said he had a friend that had a large piece of property on the beach and his plan was to take passengers (from the beach) for hire. He said he would be able to live on that land too.

This is some of what HR said among many other things.
Old 07-02-2015, 17:34   #671

Boat: Able 50

Imagine the fun he might have had with anchoring. Hawaii does not offer too many sheltered beaches.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 17:57   #672

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...or with good holding ground
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 19:57   #673

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I would never venture out like that but it is really because I would not tolerate being cooped up with kids underfoot all the time. I don't care much for kids. Kids belong, for the most part, in the cave........with mom, the known primary care giver for small children. Some thing to do with genetics I believe.
Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:42   #674

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I am curious. What medical help did the child obtain?
I'm not going to take the time to dredge out the posts and the video from the CG, but IIRC the paramedics got her on IV hydration and some antibiotics, and she was hospitalized for a while on returning to the mainland. Also IIRC, she was not responding to the antibiotics that they had on board, so some outside intervention was required just for that.

Jim
Old 08-02-2015, 04:26   #675

(Quote fom 669)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'd this All so where you drag the female part around by the hair.

Tags
hawaii