Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 08:32   #631

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

I am sure RH has the sympathy and support of of the CF members. I am sure that even he might see karma at work though.

Cursing the sea gods, renaming boats, whistling for wind......sailors are something of a superstitious bunch.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Whoa, did I miss the point when we all turned against Rebel Heart/Eric? What happened?

Last I heard, all he had done was take a child who was a bit young on an ocean voyage (a lot of people do it, but no excuse), in a boat with a leaky teaky deck (again, he wasn't the first).
That the circumstances coincided of

a) child getting seriously ill - very bad luck and something most parents never have to face
b) satphone getting cut off for no reason
c) leaky teaky doing its thing and knocking out HF SSB in the process

seem to be to be a huge dealing of bad luck, even if he may have been inviting a bit of trouble by making the voyage in that situation.

I remember CF initially being sympathetic... so why is the knitting circle getting bitchy here? Is it just because he's not active on here any more?
I'm guessing it's a combination of factors.

Partially his snarky "holier than thou" attitude towards others that he felt were less experienced/prepared than he was. Sure, a little bit of that can be tolerated after you've circled the globe 3 times successfully (meaning with boat and entire crew intact.) Or at least made it to your first destination that's not on the same continent.

Partially his utter failure to get anywhere (regardless of contributing factors of a child getting sick) he was basically single handing it since caring for a toddler and a baby is a full time job, his wife wasn't really a watchstanding crewmember. Too little water, too little electrical power, too few sources of power, too much deferred maintenance. (IMHO.)

Partially his decision to sue the sat phone company. Although I do feel strongly that if you pay for a service, especially something that's primarily for emergency communications, you should be able to use it when needed. However, lawsuits never make anyone look like a hero.

I'm not against him, but if there were any lessons to be gained from his last couple of years on the internet and in the media I think it would have a lot to do with being a bit more understanding and less judgmental towards others, and don't broadcast every little detail of your life, especially if it's not going to agree 100% with something you've just put into a lawsuit.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Partially his snarky "holier than thou" attitude towards others that he felt were less experienced/prepared than he was. Sure, a little bit of that can be tolerated after you've circled the globe 3 times successfully (meaning with boat and entire crew intact.) Or at least made it to your first destination that's not on the same continent.

Partially his utter failure to get anywhere (regardless of contributing factors of a child getting sick) he was basically single handing it since caring for a toddler and a baby is a full time job, his wife wasn't really a watchstanding crewmember. Too little water, too little electrical power, too few sources of power, too much deferred maintenance. (IMHO.)

Partially his decision to sue the sat phone company. Although I do feel strongly that if you pay for a service, especially something that's primarily for emergency communications, you should be able to use it when needed. However, lawsuits never make anyone look like a hero.

I'm not against him, but if there were any lessons to be gained from his last couple of years on the internet and in the media I think it would have a lot to do with being a bit more understanding and less judgmental towards others, and don't broadcast every little detail of your life, especially if it's not going to agree 100% with something you've just put into a lawsuit.
Fair enough.

Although I wonder how many of us would really get away with being subjected to the extreme level of scrutiny they were? Putting to sea in a boat with some serious deferred maintainance? Sailing with a vulnerable passenger? Sailing with an inexperienced crew? Making snarky comments about others? Afraid I tick a few of those boxes...

You're totally right about not broadcasting every detail of your life. The whole saga reminded me why I choose to post anonymously, and will continue to do so, because I know I say things here which could come back to haunt me in the cold light of day. Some of my comments on Hot Rod and co. are a case in point! As for blogs, I suppose you're less likely to get drawn in to saying something silly, but frankly I found the level of detail on the RH blogs unnecessary and sometimes distasteful, and of course they got bitten badly there.

In spite of all that, compared with Hot Rod, Eric is a saint and a thorough-going seaman. That's not saying much.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22   #634

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I know no one asked my opinion but I'll give it anyway.

In no way was RH anywhere similar to HR. RH did something that many of us have done in the past but in his case got stung by fate and bad luck. He was prepared. His vessel was prepared. His family was prepared. HR dared fate and was not prepared for any of his floating experience and got stung. In HR's case it was not bad luck. It was inevitable and it happened just as he was advised that it would.

So how are these two scenarios similar? They involved being on unsheltered water.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:52   #635

Couldn't agree more...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 13:33   #636

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
RH …. was prepared. His vessel was prepared. His family was prepared.

HR dared fate and was not prepared for any of his floating experience and got stung. In HR's case it was not bad luck. It was inevitable and it happened just as he was advised that it would
I don't agree with any part of that first sentence.

I fully agree with the second sentence.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 15:25   #637

Boat: Able 50

Quote:

In no way was RH anywhere similar to HR. RH did something that many of us have done in the past but in his case got stung by fate and bad luck. He was prepared. Disagree His vessel was prepared. Disagree His family was prepared. Disagree HR dared fate and was not prepared for any of his floating experience and got stung. In HR's case it was not bad luck. It was inevitable and it happened just as he was advised that it would.

So how are these two scenarios similar? They involved being on unsheltered water.
I have no objection to elaborating but I'm tired of being bashed by the mods so that will do.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 15:49   #638

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The thing I learned from the RebelHeart and HotRod mishaps is that overconfidence, unwillingness to accept advice and lack of respect for the sea is a bad thing, m'kay.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 16:44   #639

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I agree with SkiprJohn.
RH was prepared more than most for his 1st long trip. Nobody can be as prepared as much for the first as they would for the second. I personally admire the RH story and the amazing rescue.

The often observed Karma comes on those who are ANGRILY judgemental. Otherwise criticism can be just a correct assessment with no spiritual consequence. I'll leave it to RH to be the judge of which category he fell into.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 18:47   #640

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I don't believe any one thought the fh was doing the right thing, because rh also believed this but because one of his adventures ended not as intended he is incorrect in his thinking. These 2 have nothing in common.
2nd since fh was living his dream we should be ok with what he did until another sailor hits his float of junk in the middle of the night that should have never gone out there and then we can all start to be critics. Not to mention the cost of rescue for a boat that we all New would require it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 20:23   #641

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Yup...I re-read my blogs before posting. They can be opininated and I hope at least realistic. I think RH might have fallen into what I call "the Bumfuzzle zone". They are the couple who travelled by Cat, VW camper and then a Landfall 39.
I know a lot of other, hope to adventure cruisers, want to be like the Bumfuzzles.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 21:37   #642

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
"Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
"Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Can't wait to see the new picture taken from the rescue chopper looking down on him in the litter."

On last night's local tv news they ran a clip of exactly that (Mon 2 Feb).
Not sure if it was Hot Rod hisself, but the (overexposed) video from the CG helo showed a large male in the stokes being hoisted up with what appeared to be the FH below on a sunny, calm-appearing day.

The announcer referred to five people getting rescued from a "ship" a couple of times (probably reading a script). I don't think the FH ever qualified for that status. "

Point was, Rebel Heart would have been able to view video of HIMSELF "in the litter" long before the rescue video of HotRod. Be careful what you wish upon others....

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I took your original RH quote (I assume, given from some prior thread I'm unaware of) as RH maybe snarking at HR, and you rightly pointing out the kharmic potential involved.
Not sure of the event chronology either, I guess RH hadn't left when HR was first a hot topic and he had some chance to diss HR prior to his own 'problems'?
I feel bad for both, to some extent; tough losing a dream (and so publicly).
I merely was struck by seeing a video news clip on a local station (date given), when I was already aware of, by a couple of days, the FH foundering and rescue (from reading CF ).
And since there was still ongoing comment about it, I thought I would mention the possibility of y'all watching a video that seemed to have not been known of (and I have little knowledge of, not usually watching local "news", nor streaming media).

As far as "HIMSELF" vs. "hisself", that's just a dumb colloquialism I threw in there, sorry if it aroused your spellingnazi tendencies...
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 22:31   #643

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I have no objection to elaborating but I'm tired of being bashed by the mods so that will do.
Hello Savoir,

I have no problem agreeing that we disagree. In my opinion he, his family and his boat were much more prepared than many of us for his first attempt at what he was intending. He was not a novice, had sailing experience and knew his equipment. I carried 110 gallons of water for 4 of us on my first crossing with a wood boat, didn't have GPS, SatNav or any other telecommunications because it hadn't been invented yet or was too expensive. No EPIRB either. The boat leaked a lot until all the seams swelled shut. If I would have had a sick kid aboard I don't think they would have made it if I were halfway on 22 day journey. There are so many things that can happen that can ruin a crossing and you just cannot be prepared for everything.

kind regards,
Old 06-02-2015, 23:39   #644

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yup...I re-read my blogs before posting. They can be opininated and I hope at least realistic. I think RH might have fallen into what I call "the Bumfuzzle zone". They are the couple who travelled by Cat, VW camper and then a Landfall 39.
I know a lot of other, hope to adventure cruisers, want to be like the Bumfuzzles.
The Bums and RH are personal friends, as distinct from internet "friends".
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 23:44   #645

Quote:

In no way was RH anywhere similar to HR. RH did something that many of us have done in the past but in his case got stung by fate and bad luck. He was prepared. His vessel was prepared. His family was prepared. HR dared fate and was not prepared for any of his floating experience and got stung. In HR's case it was not bad luck. It was inevitable and it happened just as he was advised that it would.

Regardless of HR's lack of boat building talent, or RH's preparedness, they both ended up getting rescued over 100 mi from land, but nowhere near their destination.

2 different levels of knowledge, exact same outcome. It doesn't really matter how much RH knew or how well prepared they thought they were, if you end up in a CG sling while your boat sinks, it's exactly the same, isn't it?

I realize this is entirely subjective, but with what RH had onboard and their level of preparedness I wouldn't venture more than 100 mi from land. But that's just me, I prefer at least a backup for everything if not a 3rd source of water, or power, or communication, etc.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii