Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 13:22   #616

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Is it the same CG video? That one doesn't show the boat. If this is a new one then please tell us which station? The vid might be online.
Old 03-02-2015, 14:03   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
"Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Can't wait to see the new picture taken from the rescue chopper looking down on him in the litter."

On last night's local tv news they ran a clip of exactly that (Mon 2 Feb).
Not sure if it was Hot Rod hisself, but the (overexposed) video from the CG helo showed a large male in the stokes being hoisted up with what appeared to be the FH below on a sunny, calm-appearing day.

The announcer referred to five people getting rescued from a "ship" a couple of times (probably reading a script). I don't think the FH ever qualified for that status.
That might have been a typo. "P" and "T" sound quite a bit alike.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:36   #618

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is it the same CG video? That one doesn't show the boat. If this is a new one then please tell us which station? The vid might be online.
Don't know Crab,
I rarely ever view streaming video's (like that link to a video above my comment), and if it's an Adobe Flash, absolutely not (all Flash is blocked on my machines, consider it a virus).

The news clip was kind of washed out/overexposed, so it was a little hard to see, but it sure looked like a big ugly cat (FH) down on the water. The way the "news" is presented in today's media, a very quick blurb, I find real irritating and almost never watch any (and get off my effen lawn...).

It's probably out there somewhere, you probably have much better internet service than me (see rant below).

The station was KSAT, ch 12, San Antonio, TX; it was probably on others, in Corpus too (get both).
Here is a link to their "yesterday's video news" page. I can't see anything because it must be Flash (tried several different browsers).
In Case You Missed It - Feb. 2

I searched them for a plain story link and found nothing, it may have been too ephemeral for them.

Rant on:
Using such websites is kind of excruciating too, for me. I'm rural, we have little ISP access other than a couple ridiculously priced wireless ISP's.
My tethered smartphone connection(s) will be taken away when the Deathstar finishes swallowing my current wireless company (all of 10G/data with tethering from my phone allowed, until real soon now). The new 'Terms of Service' specifically disallow connecting anything to the smartphone, as I do now, to have something besides dial-up landline internet. So going back to a $eparate 'hot$pot', or paying an obscene data surcharge on the phone, is about all there will be (I know, just grin and BOHICA...).

The FCC is going to change things real soon, I hope ( 'Net Neutrality' with teeth, and other stuff).

The telco/cable SOB's have even gotten the politicians here to forbid local municipal internet access systems/provisions too, so we lost that little bit of 'competition'. Our only alternative since nobody will serve the area with decent, reasonably priced HS internet, basturds.
OK, /rant off...
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:45   #619

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That might have been a typo. "P" and "T" sound quite a bit alike.

It's all in the scantlings, whatsamatter with 2x10's and CDX for a floating outhouse?
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:11   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
"Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Can't wait to see the new picture taken from the rescue chopper looking down on him in the litter."

On last night's local tv news they ran a clip of exactly that (Mon 2 Feb).
Not sure if it was Hot Rod hisself, but the (overexposed) video from the CG helo showed a large male in the stokes being hoisted up with what appeared to be the FH below on a sunny, calm-appearing day.

The announcer referred to five people getting rescued from a "ship" a couple of times (probably reading a script). I don't think the FH ever qualified for that status.
Point was, Rebel Heart would have been able to view video of HIMSELF "in the litter" long before the rescue video of HotRod. Be careful what you wish upon others....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:48   #621

Boat: 45ft Ketch

44 You take RH's statement very literally and in antagonistic way.

You could have interpreted that he and others were trying to add impact to the many warning signals already given to Hot Rod. With this interpretation you could have been a little kinder to RH.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:54   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
For those new sailors joining the discussion I hope the lesson learned here is that if you are going to build a boat then use plans and boatbuilding techniques which can only be learned by reading through designers notebooks and boatbuilding books.
Agreed... and the more general lesson is that if you're going to do any kind of DIY, take the time to inform yourself on how to do it well.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:10   #623

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Agreed... and the more general lesson is that if you're going to do any kind of DIY, take the time to inform yourself on how to do it well.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 17:09   #624

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

What could possibly go wrong with a boat built like this? (cabin top meets deck)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hot_rod_cabin_joing.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	96681  
Old 06-02-2015, 01:27   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post

You could have interpreted that he and others were trying to add impact to the many warning signals already given to Hot Rod. With this interpretation you could have been a little kinder to RH.
You seem to be taking my statement very literally and in an antagonistic way...

I suggest you read through some of RH's earlier posts in this thread, if you really believe that he was trying to give Hot Rod a kindly warning. I don't think he was. It certainly didn't seem like it at the time.

Apart from that, was HR even reading this thread? Is there any evidence that he was?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:33   #626
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
What could possibly go wrong with a boat built like this? (cabin top meets deck)
OMG!

Is that hot dipped galvanized!?!?!?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:40   #627

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post

Did you ever see what RH posted on xerq ?

I'm guessing that you did not.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:29   #628

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's the link for anyone curious. It's 101 pages if you can bear to wade through it.

https://xerq.io/threads/376075-Facem...-phone-company
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:57   #629

Whoa, did I miss the point when we all turned against Rebel Heart/Eric? What happened?

Last I heard, all he had done was take a child who was a bit young on an ocean voyage (a lot of people do it, but no excuse), in a boat with a leaky teaky deck (again, he wasn't the first).
That the circumstances coincided of

a) child getting seriously ill - very bad luck and something most parents never have to face
b) satphone getting cut off for no reason
c) leaky teaky doing its thing and knocking out HF SSB in the process

seem to be to be a huge dealing of bad luck, even if he may have been inviting a bit of trouble by making the voyage in that situation.

I remember CF initially being sympathetic... so why is the knitting circle getting bitchy here? Is it just because he's not active on here any more?
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09   #630
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Whoa, did I miss the point when we all turned against Rebel Heart/Eric? What happened?

Last I heard, all he had done was take a child who was a bit young on an ocean voyage (a lot of people do it, but no excuse), in a boat with a leaky teaky deck (again, he wasn't the first).
That the circumstances coincided of

a) child getting seriously ill - very bad luck and something most parents never have to face
b) satphone getting cut off for no reason
c) leaky teaky doing its thing and knocking out HF SSB in the process

seem to be to be a huge dealing of bad luck, even if he may have been inviting a bit of trouble by making the voyage in that situation.

I remember CF initially being sympathetic... so why is the knitting circle getting bitchy here? Is it just because he's not active on here any more?
Could it have been his attitude before their attempt to sail across the Pacific?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-106946.html
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii