Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29   #286

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
There it is in a nutshell. As I embark on my personal boat building endeavor with my sons that is our only objective. Shared experience of building something together.

Our building project will be of far more modest size than HR's but of remarkably similar method. 2 key differences being its designed by a NA and small enough to be built and tested out of reach of the prying eyes of the forum critics.

If it is a failure as a vessel it will make a great backyard play structure for small children. Either way my sons and I will be richer for pursuing our dreams rather than criticize those others who dare to try.
When I was building my Roberts 34 (steel) my 3 year old son watched with great humor and curiosity at his fathers great metal whale. There were many boats after that. He's 30 now. The experience showed him that he could do anything he put his mind to...and he has. He has no hesitation trying new things. He also doesn't march to the tune of someone else's drum. He's his own man. You can't ask for much more than that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30   #287

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I remember delivering a boat from Texas to Florida, I was about 20 at the time. On the way, we ducked way up into one of the many ICW inlets for protection from a storm. While up in the thick swamp of Louisiana, we spotted a beast of a boat under construction. I'm not sure if it was to be a sailboat or what. It was so strange we couldn't wrap our brains around it, clearly the builder had no inclination to follow the normal proven route of boat building. Beast is what I called it, all 50 some odd feet long and two stories tall of it. Beast. I pronounced, in a know it all tone, that it will never make it out of the swamp. Couple years later I saw it in the Bahamas, still strange, still a beast of a vessel. Have no idea how it got there or how much trouble or peril it went through, but it was there none the less.

Hope whatever HR and son was looking for when they started this project, that they find it, and are better for it.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:54   #288

This entire thread sort of reminds me of how our society switched from results based reward to effort based reward systems. From eliminating the F (failing) grade and replacing it with an I (incomplete), to no longer keeping score at the Friday night football game, the baby boomers and their all inclusive, everyone wins, no one judges policies just continue to permeate our society. So thanks children of the 60s. Thanks for making sure I can never fail and can't be compared to anyone else. I'm my own unique and beautiful snowflake.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18   #289
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
This entire thread sort of reminds me of how our society switched from results based reward to effort based reward systems. From eliminating the F (failing) grade and replacing it with an I (incomplete), to no longer keeping score at the Friday night football game, the baby boomers and their all inclusive, everyone wins, no one judges policies just continue to permeate our society. So thanks children of the 60s. Thanks for making sure I can never fail and can't be compared to anyone else. I'm my own unique and beautiful snowflake.
Your welcome.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:25   #290

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I remember long time ago I saw a site that allowed setting up private wagers for whatever outcome you wish, but can not remember where it was... Let's vote with our hard earned money!
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:05   #291

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Sure this guy is having a go, good for him. He has chosen to ignore help/advice from seasoned builders and people who are pretty salty.This is his right.
To build a boat and ignore centuries of trial and error by human kinds endeavors in this field strikes me as arrogant and naive at the best.
To me he has built '' his idea'' of a catamaran, the engineering is where he has let himself down terribly.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:59   #292

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

On a lighter note, this is a little bit off-topic, but perhaps appropriate. . . . Just saw this news item for an upcoming HTC phone ad campaign:

HTC has pretty well figured out how to make a great smartphone. It's selling them that has lately stumped the Taiwan-based company. But that may be about to change.
After promises of a new marketing strategy, HTC announced Aug. 12 that it has signed actor Robert Downey Jr. to a two-year deal and slightly lifted the veil on a new ad campaign, releasing a 15-second teaser from the full ad on YouTube.
In the ad, Downey, a sort of business eccentric, is hustled into a dull, beige-on-taupe conference room surrounded by bland business types—the answers man to a group in need of them.
"Subversive thinking has arrived," announces his handler. After which Downey, opening a suitcase he's handcuffed to, takes out a piece of paper, touches it to a spot over his right brow, stares intensely into a middle-distance and then tells the group: "Humongous Tinfoil Catamaran."
The spot is a spoof on the HTC acronym, which the company hasn't made public.

Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 14:43   #293
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Apparently Hot Rod has just been arrested by the San Rafael police. Full details (and hopefully pix to come) over on SA.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 16:39   #294
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From SA-

The altercation started in the Marina office around 1 today after HR entered and demanded to know why his marina access gate key was turned off.. He was told that since he was no longer part of the marina residents, that it was standard procedure until the key was returned. Evidently HR wasn't happy with this answer and started becoming belligerent and shoved the Harbor Master which started a fight and culminated in HR biting part of the Harbor Masters finger off (hence the previously reported blood) and fled the office. He was apprehended in front of DE dock access gates where you all know the rest of the story.

- From a resident in the Marina that was there today.
Old 12-08-2013, 16:53   #295

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two_Vultures-94681.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	65447  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 17:53   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I remember long time ago I saw a site that allowed setting up private wagers for whatever outcome you wish, but can not remember where it was... Let's vote with our hard earned money!
And whoever put their money on, "jail", please step forward to collect your winnings.
Old 12-08-2013, 17:55   #297

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

To the OP.

Dulcesuenos

I can't PM you. Your box is full.

I thought you were in Port Richey. I thought it would be easy enough. No prob. But I doubt I will find one to look at in Miami in the spring. Fair winds.

And to stay on topic.

No much to say except poor HR. Sad in so many ways.

As my mother said (sadly) of one of her children. " _____ has so little to offer the world."
Old 12-08-2013, 19:16   #298
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The story now is that there was no finger bitten, and no blood. What actually happened? I haven't got a clue. Here, let me quote that for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I haven't got a clue.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 19:21   #299
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
The story now is that there was no finger bitten, and no blood. What actually happened?
No, the story (as allegedly told by a harbor employee) is that the finger was not bitten off. That doesn't mean there wasn't an altercation and there is a witness who saw the police questioning a man with blood on his face who was not Hot Rod.
Old 12-08-2013, 19:34   #300
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

So the Harbour Master bit HR's finger... ahahahahaaaa

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii