Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2015, 08:04   #16

Boat: Shopping
Re: The Evolution of "Condomarans"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Contrary to what happens on land where the fridge is connected to the power line when you sail the frigo is connected to the batteries so you would want it to be as efficient as possible.

Cold air is denser than hot air and it stays on the bottom so when you open a vertical fridge all cold air comes out. When you open a horizontal fridge with an opening on top, the cold air stays in. Imagine that instead of cold air you have water and imagine the difference opening the two different fridges.

Obviously if the cold air stays on the fridge when you open it the loss of temperature when you open it is way less than the one when you open a vertical one and much less batteries charge will be needed to restore the initial cold temperature.

Of course if you want a condo cat to be mainly at the marina that does not matter and I agree with you.
I don't suppose it takes too many w-hrs to cool a few cubic feet of air. I worry more about all the food coming tumbling out.

Old 20-10-2015, 08:41   #17

Although domestic fridge/freezers are getting more efficient, if you are thinking about cruising in the tropics with higher ambient temperatures, you would really want to do your sums before assuming a domestic fridge/freezer will work.

From what I understand from refrigeration standards, they will be be putting an unacceptably high load on your house bank, or giving your genset a workout on a regular basis.

But they look nice, which is all the chartering market cares about, so it's once again, horses for courses.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 20-10-2015, 09:20   #18

That's hilarious!! We have same in a 85ft riva and we draw straws on who opens it when out on a trip . Absolute stupidity imo unless ALL shelves in doors and cabinets modified.
Old 20-10-2015, 09:23   #19

Boat: Catana 471

Hi Bob, Hi everybody and thanks for yours reply. I'm an happy owner of a Catana 471, and what i can answer to you is that this represent a sad evolution for Catana. We all know exactly what does Catana means, i consider the 'old' 471 still a wonderful boat after ten or more years, a benchmark for everybody. What does the Bali with the Samsung, or the new C line represent? Merging into the pure charter concept, not an evolution in performances and modernity. They used to be miles ahead, now they are aligning with Lagoons.
Old 20-10-2015, 10:56   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
The day was Friday, October 9/2015 at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show. I will always remember that day and where I was... (one of those life reflecting moments), in a small way.
I talked with the salesman seated and made note of the FULL size stainless refrigerator (which probably weighs more than some multis owned by respected members of this Forum), at least its a Samsung, their pretty reliable.
But how does this boat (a Catana product, a Bali 43) sail and perform fitted out this way I pushed... what of rough, bouncy weather, out there..
how is it secured? and powered? His answers were vague... "oh she sails really well", etc etc.
"Not as well as your 471, but still real good..."

When you are at the dock or permanently on a ball (with your generator running furiously) this boat will be plush... of that I have no doubt.

What is next in the Evolution of "Condomarans" ?

Bob
I guess what ever people will buy? Remember a smooth talking salesman relies on personality. Throw enough **** on the wall and some will stick.
Old 20-10-2015, 11:12   #21

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

We love our Seawind 1160 , two freezers , one refer , galley down with windows and open to the main salon , Electric winch , everything runs on our solar panals and SAILS LIKE A DREAM ! to each there own . [ One more thing , the Samsung refer has a lot of internal problems with water leaks , Just ask their insurance carrier ] Dave
Old 20-10-2015, 11:22   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

There is not much wrong with the Bali if you have the right set of requirements.

A boat that is very comfortable at anchor or even better in the marina.
A boat that can move efficiently under motor.
A boat that can sail / motorsail when the weather is perfect.

It may be the right choice for some owners and many charterers in the low wind areas in the Med like Balearics islands and the Ionian islands.

One should not consider this a go-anywhere sailing machine. The sails are mostly for decoration and for supporting the engines in perfect conditions.
Old 20-10-2015, 11:37   #23

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I don't suppose it takes too many w-hrs to cool a few cubic feet of air. I worry more about all the food coming tumbling out.
On the ones I saw on boats they have sliding boxes so that is not really a problem, specially on a cat that does not heel significantly.

It seems you don't have problems with keeping the fridge running but it is a problem if you sail a lot use the engine not much time and don't want to have a generator making noise and wasting diesel. The frigo is the biggest consumption source of energy aboard (if you don't run AC) and being a horizontal one is very important to keep the cold air inside when you open it and to make it more efficient.

I have two frigos on my boat. Only use the second one at the marina. Most of the time I use the sails and I have not energy to run both unless I run the engine with good wind, just for charging the batteries.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 12:19   #24

It would make an excellent tax deductible office cum entertainment venue. Good for taking the staff or clients around the harbor for drinks, if you could hire a professional skipper for a day. That fridge would hold plenty of beer. Is there an option for purchasing it without sails, and anchor? It is said that out of comfortable accomodation, performance, and cost; any 2 can be good but you can't have all 3. In my opinion this type has only comfortable accomodation.
Old 20-10-2015, 12:26   #25

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

The Captain of that boat is going to need to do some weight and balance calculations if he stocks that Samsung up with provisions. Otherwise he's gonna list to port. LOL
Old 20-10-2015, 14:02   #26

"What is next in the Evolution of "Condomarans" ? Obviously, townhousemarans.
Old 20-10-2015, 14:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
The Captain of that boat is going to need to do some weight and balance calculations if he stocks that Samsung up with provisions. Otherwise he's gonna list to port. LOL
Don't be mean. There might be a second Samsung on the starboard side. You are only assuming there isn't a second fridge. One for each hull
Old 20-10-2015, 14:08   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know, maybe I need a Samsung in my mono, on tracks, sort of like crew hanging off the rail?

Old 20-10-2015, 14:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, maybe I need a Samsung in my mono, on tracks, sort of like crew hanging off the rail?

No that's not a good idea. When you reach for another beer, all the rest will fall out. Sir Alex Rose ( Lively Lady )had a much better idea. He installed a keg in his quarter berth.
Old 20-10-2015, 15:07   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
No that's not a good idea. When you reach for another beer, all the rest will fall out. Sir Alex Rose ( Lively Lady )had a much better idea. He installed a keg in his quarter berth.
What s great idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: