Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 13:44   #16

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Re: The Constant Camber Crowd

Looks like the "Full load Displacement" is 1000 pounds heavier. So that would allow for the same payload.

??
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Yeah, somehow, Jaynes Marine rang a bell, now i know why: i have seen the video on utube advertising Traveler.

Perhaps you can answer this:

Why is the dry weight of the FC 1000 lbs heavier than the M on the 44' version, yet the payload is the same?

jon

ps check out the headroom

Jon,

I have not really looked closely at the CC-44 before. But it looks to me that the two (M and FC) are separate designs. The dimensions of the main hull are different. Looks like the beam dimensions are greater. That would add up to more volume and as a result more displacement.

Maybe the two are listed side by side like that because they are the same length over all and fit the same cruising needs............just different types of layout.

Looks like coincidence that the payloads are the same. Or maybe John set out with the need for a 4000 pound payload for both boats. Makes sense for a cruising boat of this size.

Not sure........
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thumbsup, Is "That" in Rio Dulce now?

There is an interesting post script to this story. The builder of That was a "colorful" guy and his adopted son posted here or on another forum about the issues.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:32   #19

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

There is an interesting post script to this story. The builder of That was a "colorful" guy and his adopted son posted here or on another forum about the issues.
link? i would love to read the postscript

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Jon,

I have not really looked closely at the CC-44 before. But it looks to me that the two (M and FC) are separate designs. The dimensions of the main hull are different. Looks like the beam dimensions are greater. That would add up to more volume and as a result more displacement.
i think that you are right on that one, about the beam, the displacement and separate designs. i've emailed Marples about as much as i dare, not having bot a design from him, or one of his boats either, he has been very gracious, but i don't want to wear out my welcome. LookieLoos only go so far.

So, that's why i asked you.
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:53   #20

Here is a bit on Mark Hassall. See post #27.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-4163-2.html

But this is not the one that I remembered most. His adopted Guatemalan son posted somewhere about the less than satisfactory role model that was really MH.
I think he's a US citizen now and that may be him on Facebook. I don't do FB so you'll have to look for yourself.
Old 04-10-2018, 15:46   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Yes, "THAT" has been here for years. The present owners live-aboard. I am not sure about the condition.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 16:57   #22

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
There was a large constant camber trimaran that was built here in the seventies. It was brought back here and the current owners are slowly refurbishing it. The name of the boat was "That" and you can read the "mini novel" here: How THAT Came About
Now that was a good read... thanks for sharing
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 03:35   #23

Thot i'd post this here because she isn't a Searunner or a cheap project, but Juniper is still for sale for 115k euros. Now lying in Denmark. Here is the email i received:

Dear Jon,
Juniper is indeed still for sale and lying in Svendborg ,Denmark.

Kind regards
Paul

Too rich for my blood, anyone?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 19-10-2018, 04:27   #24

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Saw the post and thought I'd wade in. My wife and I have been building a CC44 center cockpit in Texas City and plan to launch in August. We opted for the wide body design and closed side decks. We managed to find a saw mill in California that was closing out his stock of red cedar veneers so we bought everything he has. Our hull layout is exactly like the Searunner design- center cockpit, double berths forward with a dressing compartment, and aft we have the master suite, nav station, full galley and an aft dinette. We are a family of six, and we are building her to cruise long term. Not sure about weight and performance right now, but I can provide that when we splash her. The constant camber method is very good, but fraught with some technical problems. I can give a bunch of building pics if anyone is interested.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:11   #25

Phantom,

Thanks for posting. We corresponded in the past about build issues .......net attachments and bulkhead install techniques...etc. Thanks again for sharing some of your experiences and techniques with CC build.

We did not make our launch this year either. Looks like late spring of next year for us. Cannot wait to sail this boat. Building in Maine and New Hampshire we ended up using Northern White Cedar which is a great boat building species. Light and tough. I cut and weighed square foot sections of panel off cuts and they weighed in at slightly less than 2 pounds each even with stepping up the sheathing to 10 oz. cloth. John seemed very pleased with this. So we are fairly confident that she will float right on her lines. And we kept our systems, fit, and finish to a minimum. Just the basics for a live aboard for two people.

I have to say that it has been a surprise as to how much work has been involved even with such a simple boat. It seems that the list has been infinite. And it is still not done. It has been systems mostly and not the build of the basic boat.

By the way I believe there is another CC boat just beginning the build process in upstate New York somewhere. A CC-37. Very cool!!

Cheers,

SnJ
Old 19-10-2018, 07:48   #26

Hey Phantom, I'm always interested in build pics and I'll be others here are too. Perhaps you should start your own thread on this?
Old 19-10-2018, 07:50   #27

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool trimaran sailor even if I'm now on a catamaran. We love the Marples designs and on our last voyage sailed in company for a while with Don and Anne on Redwood Coast II, a CC44 that Don built decades ago. That boat sailed very nicely and we both turned in 210-220 mile days on the crossing from Mexico to French Polynesia. You have to have a lightweight mentality, but it would be hard to find a nicer general-purpose trimaran for cruising.

I think they've mostly swallowed the anchor, and I've heard rumors the boat may be up for sale soon. A good picture and a bit of write-up of their last long cruise in Latitude 38. Such a sweet boat.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool trimaran sailor even if I'm now on a catamaran. We love the Marples designs and on our last voyage sailed in company for a while with Don and Anne on Redwood Coast II, a CC44 that Don built decades ago. That boat sailed very nicely and we both turned in 210-220 mile days on the crossing from Mexico to French Polynesia. You have to have a lightweight mentality, but it would be hard to find a nicer general-purpose trimaran for cruising.

I think they've mostly swallowed the anchor, and I've heard rumors the boat may be up for sale soon. A good picture and a bit of write-up of their last long cruise in Latitude 38. Such a sweet boat.

D,

Thanks for that post!!! Excellent read. Lots of good solid info on sailing and cruising performance in that article. What a fantastic sail they had.

We looked over a 44 named SUNNER a few years ago. Often times during our build process I regretted not buying her instead. She was and is an awesome boat. Very well built of Western Red Cedar. We have no regrets now tho. Just eager to sit through another New England winter and get going.

Cheers,

SnJ
Old 19-10-2018, 11:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Yes, thanks for a great read. i have some pics of Sunner somewhere in my files. Wasn't she for sale a while ago?
jon
Old 19-10-2018, 13:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Yes, thanks for a great read. i have some pics of Sunner somewhere in my files. Wasn't she for sale a while ago?
jon
Not sure if SUNNER is still on the market or not. Most recent info we have is old. Looked her over in 2014 I think it was. She was in St. Augustine Florida at the time. Super nice boat and very well built. An English chap owned her at the time. I will rummage around to see if we still have contact information for him. I will PM you if I still have anything..............

Cheers,

SnJ