Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 20:51   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
A random pick here (Race 2) shows cruising multi times as
1st place) 41 fter Sidewinder 01:08:01

9th place) 38ft Andaman Cabriolet "Nina" 01:48:50

25th Phuket Kings Cup Regatta

Considerably larger Cruising monos in race 2 has

1st place) 54ft Hanse Odin Aquacraft Asia 04:09:56

2rd place) Bavaria 49 Linda 04:29:19

and several what I assume are DNF's
25th Phuket Kings Cup Regatta
Like I said draw your own conclusions. Even if that conclusion is to cherry pick a race result regardless whether you call it a random pick. LOL

Are you sure they even sailed the same course?

It might be more fair to take the top 5 boats in each class, averagae their times on the water by each race in which they sailed the same course. You can display the average on water times for each race. Then an overall average for the regatta. I dont know yet until I look at the data more closely.

The idea will be to pick production boats that are commonly cruised. The Firefly cats are not my idea of cruising. The amas are like Japanese capsule hotels. I will also exclude "hard core" racing monos like mumm's. I wouldn't cruise a Mumm 30.

Another thing to be done is once we know the boat types pick a mono and a multi type and compare their entire regatta results.

I will present all the data, good and bad with an explanation of the analysis methods.

It is extremely easy to pick a race and find the winner one wants. A week long race with multiple conditions and passages is a better test.
Old 13-03-2012, 20:59   #287

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Like I said draw your own conclusions. Even if that conclusion is to cherry pick a race result regardless whether you call it a random pick. LOL
I went to your link and race 2 cruising multi was the only multi link I clicked on.
Surely the fair comparion would be to compare it to race 2 cruising mono or do you think cruising cats should be held up against racing mono's?

Quote:
Are you sure they didn't?
Old 13-03-2012, 21:03   #288

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Ever heard of the Brisbane to Gladstone
Darwin to Ambon
Kings Cup Regatta to name a few.

No shortage of cruising cats and tri's in those races.
Yes I know about the Bribane to Gladstone, Quite a few of the Multi's that live here where I am. enter it every year, I do know a couple of them,

And mainly, they are more race bred than cruisers. I have been on a couple of those Multi's down here, Thats what finally made me decide fully on a cat,

One of the Cat builders down here is also going for the world wind speed record for a Multi. And he aint doing to bad at it either,

And two of them that I know of. have pitch poled in that event. Upside down,

They constantly sail up and down the Tasman sea, Bass Straight and the Southern Ocean, getting to and from races.

A multi of any size will pitch pole, (cartwheel) if it has too high a mast for its size, and is Totally over powered, Just like the little 14 and 16 foot Hobies and Paper Tigers will.

5 Metre waves on the nose for 6 hours, My Gemini slammed chronically, But you could not leave any thing on the salon table, The slam came straight up through the table and flicked the cups vertically up in the air,
Spilling the contents when the cup dropped back onto the table, the cup still in the same position it started from, and the right side up.

The Toilet and shower and front bed room totally unusable, up and down and round and around it went, Do not even go there,
Kitchen, make sure your braced in well,

Coffee at the cock pit, no worrys, It just sat there, Cock pit and back transom area's. solid as a rock,
Very comfortable, with no jumping around, Sleep in the down wind side at the back, no problems,
The windward side will drive you crazy with the wave slap. But still level and comfortable to sleep in,

The motor in the transom, Gear box and drive leg are very awkward to get to, especially the drive leg.
even tho it does jack up out of the water,

It didnt have the same ribbing and stiffeners that you would commonly get in Australia, It still did the job that it was designed to do,

Getting at the steering is a total PITA, its behind the gas fridge, YAAARRRRGGGGG

Other than that I really cant fault or find a con for my Gemini. I love it,

They built the Gemini to a price, But sea worthiness was not one of the things they skimped on,

I can tho pick on the manufacturers of Equiptment aboard my vessel. But only in a nit picking way, It is good gear, but needs that extra bit added to make it work excellently.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:05   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

As I suspected. Depending on the class they sailed 9 races, 7 races or 5 races. I am guessing in races where all competed they sailed the same course but even that needs to be verified before comparisons are made.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:08   #290

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
As I suspected. Depending on the class they sailed 9 races, 7 races or 5 races. I am guessing in races where all competed they sailed the same course but even that needs to be verified before comparisons are made.

And what has any of your drift have to do with this thread???

Your posts are comparing mono's to multi's.??????
Old 13-03-2012, 21:09   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
?

Are you sure they didn't?
Yeah. I'm sure enough to put my paycheck on it.

Have another look at the multi results. There is a race with 4 hour finish times. Pretty sure that''s the same race. The cats sailed more races.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:17   #292
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us

And what has any of your drift have to do with this thread???

Your posts are comparing mono's to multi's.??????
Apologies. One of the recurring dimensions is speed. Many people drag out single race results and many bring out anectodal evidence. Certainly this is big thread drift and I will desist.

Especially since no one ever, ever, ever, ever wants to have a rational data driven discussion.

A return question is after the thousands and thousands of posts I have read over the last 5 years what is the point of this thread at all.

- until you compare like volume, wetted area or something you will never have apples to apples. A 50 foot mono is not a 50 foot cat. Ever, never will be
- compare purchase price in terms of value per dollar - no one ever wants to do that
- compare a lagoon 380 against a Benneteau First 40.7 - not likely. 2 seconds later people are talking about Americas cup boats past and present, gun boats, Sundeers etc.

Look let's just agree on one thing. Everythings been said but things are changing. There is no answer.

You think a thread titled "Cons of a Multihull" isnt gonna get shitty? May as well tell you your kid is an ugly moron and your wife is a slut.

OP asked his question. In 10 posts he had his answer. After that its a gun fight.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:19   #293

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This is getting silly. My boat has a maximum speed of less than eight knots. Does that mean it's a less desirable boat that can go 12, 16, or 40 knots or more?
Old 13-03-2012, 21:23   #294

Send a message via Skype™ to Ontos45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
This thread has reached a point where posts are being deleted and others edited by moderators. It is time everyone took a deep breath and considered the content of their post before hitting the submit button.
Thank you!
Realise I am only a "newbie" here BUT I joined this thread to learn about buying a used catamaran, the pros and cons to look for in evaluating them and that is MY choice.
If you care to look at an Atlas of Oz, I live on the Capricorn Coast, the East side of Queensland. I can look out onto the islands of the Great Barrier Reef. My luck.
Owing to finances Sue and I are buying with another couple, life-long friends, so the consensus of opinion is a cat because of the room and comfort. We can island hop to Malaysia then down to the Philippines with only short blue water crossing, if we wish.
The opinion of the various ship wrights on here is "very well received" by me and I think others, as is the best advise where to buy from others.
I have sailed mono hulls before and am in NO WAY denigrating them in my choice of vessel.
This forum is reminding me of another I belong to, the eternal discussion of which is best between caravans and motorhomes...lol
Please, all constructive help will be very appreciated in MY choice of vessel.
Peter and Sue
Old 13-03-2012, 21:24   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
And mainly, they are more race bred than cruisers.
Our opinions differ.
Broadly speaking, anything with a cabin, double berth, plumbed water and refrigeration is a cruiser as far as I am concerned.

All these are cruisers bar 3 in my opinion
And even those 3 can be successfully cruised on shorter voyages.
Brisbane to Gladstone race 2011
Old 13-03-2012, 21:25   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Notpopeye,

Your the OP here so, you really have to keep this thread on track.
The Cons of Owning a Catamaran. Keep it real and get your facts before the thread gets shut off.
Before you accuse me of being offtrack, I suggest you read the article one of the posters so graciously provided.
Multihull Design Considerations for Seaworthiness
Also, perhaps you should read my post again and see that I was on point. I was asking questions relative to seaworthiness which I absolutely would present as a possible pro or con of a multihull vessel. If factors I am not aware of present the multihull as less seaworthy than what is considered a bluewater seaworthy monohull, I would appreciate being made aware of it.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:30   #297

Quote:
As I suspected. Depending on the class they sailed 9 races, 7 races or 5 races. I am guessing in races where all competed they sailed the same course
Thats why I just looked at one race.
Looking at the course details it appears that a course is picked on the day, therefore, I would assume all vessels that sailed in race 2 will have sailed the same course.

Quote:
but even that needs to be verified before comparisons are made.
Hold on, weren't you the first to make the comparison back here?

Quote:
Regarding kings cup...

Here are the results. Draw your own conclusions. Hard to figure out the boat types as I couldnt find an entrants list. Someone with more time than I could run all the averages and analyze the thre IRC classes against the multihull classes and see which groups on average are fastest on the water.

My eyeballing of it says there are a lot of faster monos than multis even if you throw out IRC 0.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:34   #298

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontos45 View Post
Thank you!

This forum is reminding me of another I belong to, the eternal discussion of which is best between caravans and motorhomes...lol
Please, all constructive help will be very appreciated in MY choice of vessel.
Peter and Sue
~Thread drift~

Now that one I can argue. Had all three, motorhome, caravan, and 5th wheel caravan, hands down the 5th wheel was best.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:46   #299

Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, its more that the OP requested the CONS of a multi. Predictably, the multi crowd can't think of any and immediately start to hyper defensively flood the thread. Id say those posts are the drifting off topic ones. If you don't have a con don't post. Simple. "Spread negative comments" is what we were asked for. You must not have understood the thread. Or conveniently forgot.
The problem is when the cons are being put forward by the uninformed ....
Whats wrong with making sure the 'cons' listed are factually correct?
Old 13-03-2012, 21:53   #300

Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I have both a redhead and a catamaran
And she is the financier as well
I am a red head and have a catamaran ... beat that!
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran