Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 16:20   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Love the canoe sterns on that Tri !! Id but that in a quick LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 16:23   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Shoot !! Id BUY That TRI LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 16:32   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The Ark is more my style.

Old 10-03-2012, 16:34   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Welcome to the club, as I too am on the fence for a multi. My first offshore passage capable boat was an old Cal 40, $16K plus $16K in upgrades for cruising, some 20 years back. My brother 10 years ago picked up an F-26, then later an F-28 tri. The speed issue is a bit flawed IMHO. I would consider speed as to what the boat will do for a passage in an open sea state. For the money spent, monos are much faster. My Cal 40 did a downhill run from Long Beach to Cabo, then a mild upwind beat to Mulege, averaged close to 10 kt for the entire non-stop run of 151 1/2 hours. Once there, for fun day sails I was spanked on every point of sail by a family in their Santa Cruz 50. There are so many advantages to a multi, but comfortable, open ocean speed is not one of them. However, when the Cal 40's, SC 50's, and Sundeer's arrive at the next anchorage ahead of you, your reward, if a crowded anchorage, is to be able to take an inside position due to your shallow draft, and host the party in your spacious salon. If it is a rolling anchorage, you won't suffer the motion as much.

But on the speed scale,

Boats under $40K Cal 40 / no multis
Boats $125~$150K SC 50 mono / Gemini and PDQ 36 multi but 50% slower
Boats $400~$800K, now your talking fast multi's but again for a long passage not any where near as fast as a Sundeer 64.

For my money, and not needing the speed, the PDQ 36 is looking good.
I wonder which would.be more comfortable and faster on a trade wind circumnavigation, a Sundeer 64 or a Outremer 64. I would guess the Outremer would be faster. I'm sure the Outremer would be more comfortable.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:41   #20

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wonder which would.be more comfortable and faster on a trade wind circumnavigation, a Sundeer 64 or a Outremer 64. I would guess the Outremer would be faster. I'm sure the Outremer would be more comfortable.
You just might be right. Also Seawind 1000XL is on my short list. Too bad we can't do as the golfers, pull out the club best suited. Outremer 64 for lats of 0~40, Sundeer for lats >40.

How do you like your Seawind's overall performance?
Old 10-03-2012, 16:43   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
the light came on.
At first I just did not see a multihull as an option - it is not Kool, a real sailer would not be caught dead on a multihull, it really is not sailing, is it? Close minded thinking caught me.
When the light came on, so did a clear list of all the benefits. Less heel, faster boat speed, much, much more storage and comfort, much more resistant to knock-downs and capsizing, and stability when at anchor or mooring.
What am I missing that now make a Catamaran the obvious choice for me?
The benefits I plainly see now makes me wonder why everyone does not sail a multihull.
Howz that light working for ya now??? Guess those Mono guy's aren't so closed minded after all. If you're a lower dollar guy like myself, a mono will get you going.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-03-2012, 16:49   #22

The best boat option is the one that fits your budget. Then you can enjoy your life on your boat and afford to maintain it. I have a 46' cat my close friend has a 32' Bristol. He lives off his boat and teaches sailing. Sails every other day. me? Pretty much summer only and when it's warm. His boat $30,000 mine $700,000. Who is having more fun?????
Old 10-03-2012, 16:52   #23
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Every boat involves some compromise somewhere. For me the cat works for others it won't. The biggest con with cat ownership is that there is twice the deck space for the seagulls to sh*t on
Old 10-03-2012, 16:56   #24

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Every boat involves some compromise somewhere. For me the cat works for others it won't. The biggest con with cat ownership is that there is twice the deck space for the seagulls to sh*t on
But you know seagulls, their into a power trip. If they can't have the power, they do their best to cut down your power.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:09   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

BAD GUESS - two up the Sundeer would be days faster as a monohull is self tending so you can just let the boat look after you in the heavy weather - with your 64 foot cat you would need to be totally on the ball 24/7 or just like that big Atlantic cat you woudl be upside down in a flash. With a switched-on on four / six person racing crew i am sure the cat would be faster BUT hardly more comfortable in fact at speed could be physically painfully uncomfortable.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The slip & haul fees for the Gemini will be the same as a mono of the same length.
Not everywhere. I just finished talking to a marina that charges cat fees ($3.50/ft/mo extra) for all cats, even if they fit into a standard slip. Just because it's a cat. No reason - just company policy.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:15   #27

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

One minor inconvenience is the need to wear rose coloured glasses, this is required at times to shield the eyes from the glare of green eyes, although once you've sailed out of sight all is fine.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:24   #28

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Not everywhere. I just finished talking to a marina that charges cat fees ($3.50/ft/mo extra) for all cats, even if they fit into a standard slip. Just because it's a cat. No reason - just company policy.
Yes, there are exceptions. We have thousands of 14 foot wide monos and all the Gemini Cats in my area get charged the same as monos. Just by the length. I would say if the yard wants to charge more for a 14 foot cat beam than a 14 mono beam than its time to run and do not look back not even for a second. Run, Run.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
Never seen the Gemini. The bean is just 14' wide, right? Seems rather narrow. Bridgedeck clearance? Has anyone been through rough weather in one? Seems like a popular boat so maybe it's good. I guess if you are not sailing through any rough weather it would be fine.
The manufacturer sent me a brochure which lists the bridgedeck clearance (at the bow) at 39 inches.

The draft is from 18 inches to over 5 feet with the centerboard down.

The displacement is 9800 lbs and the beam is 14 feet as stated by Mike.

I have read that a bridgedeck clearance of between 2 1/2 and 4 feet is good so 39 inches surely must be adequate. And while the displacement is light, this 9800 is without fuel, water, stores, etc.

Again, my knowledge is below poor so I merely list the specs above so everyone knows my consideration.

Lastly, I am looking to spend around $120,000 or so and I have seen a few Gemini 105Mc's close to that range that are relatively new boats. And because I do not want an older boat that looks ratty, I would prefer a newer boat and with price being a factor, the Gemini seems like a good fit.
Old 10-03-2012, 17:37   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
BAD GUESS - two up the Sundeer would be days faster as a monohull is self tending so you can just let the boat look after you in the heavy weather - with your 64 foot cat you would need to be totally on the ball 24/7 or just like that big Atlantic cat you woudl be upside down in a flash. With a switched-on on four / six person racing crew i am sure the cat would be faster BUT hardly more comfortable in fact at speed could be physically painfully uncomfortable.
Read Gregor Tarjans book. He's writes a few times about smoking every mono out there on his Outies. Yes, he's a dealer. One great writeup is about him starting days late in the ARC and passing almost every boat at the end. He talks about one Atlantic delivery in really rough conditions and just cruising along on auto pilot with wine on the table. There are pics in the book of that one. Sundeer is a great boat but my money's on the Outie 64 or 55, Gunboat 66 or 62, Atlantic 55/57 etc. Damn more comfortable too. I posted this before.

Tags
catamaran