Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 23:12   #196

Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Are you actually speaking from experience here?

My last 31ft cat had 800mm of clearance and I never experienced pounding but I have on 40fters that had considerably less.
no sorry shouldnt have said that, just for me i dont want a cat smaller than 40' as in general smaller cats have more chance of pounding and only from reading it seems to me in my point of view that i would like something over 40' to cross oceans. But i dont have any feel for boats as i have only been on a 60' foot mono for a day sail. From reading cause of interest in boad and dreaming of circumnavigation, i have come to these opinions from what i have read on many websites. So please dont take it as do have experiance. Im just saying this from what i have read, and i have read alot and searches many designs and theories behind material choice to come to an answer as what i would prefer for who i am.
Old 12-03-2012, 23:15   #197

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The problem is that building a cat well is actually very complex
Yet people manage to build fine examples regularly, many with no trade experience at all.

Quote:
Cat construction in large fiberglass boats can be subjected to astronomical loads which just dont happen in a monohull.
I suppose that explains why multihulls are so much heavier built than monohulls, they have to take all these astronomical loads.

Oh wait

Quote:
If I was going to own a cat, I'd build it myself and it would cost millions of dollars.
Would it be several hundred feet long and made from gold?
Old 12-03-2012, 23:17   #198

Thanks Minaret for the info you are able to provide, I super appreciate it and totally understand that you can't name names, etc... I too had a NDA at my last job which continues. I have looked at some of your pics and the work you do looks really top notch!

Personally I find mono's more pretty than multis plus I like the smaller spaces but I'm not a fan of heeling and I'd rather hang out on a patio than in a cave... but finances will probably ensure that eventually it is a mono for me and I can't wait!

Thanks to everyone for an interesting discussion. Cheers, TCG.
Old 12-03-2012, 23:20   #199
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gentlemen,

This seems like an interesting thread, which is creating in depth debate. However, it is starting to become hard work for the moderators, which is never a good thing!!

To keep it pleasant, I have removed just a few argumentative phrases from a few posts, and we have had to delete a few posts containing bad language in their entirety. Please, please do be respectful towards each other
Old 12-03-2012, 23:23   #200

was it me? Im sorry if it was.
Old 12-03-2012, 23:48   #201

Boat: too many

As Alfred E Newman would say.....

"What? Me worry?"
Old 12-03-2012, 23:49   #202

Boat: Lagoon 440

NDA's aside if there were mainstream re-ocurring problems with the major production cats then the word would be out.

Hybrid's are a flop on Lagoons en-masse otherwise the builder would not be sending tech's worldwide to re-power with diesels.

Mention has been made regarding computer systems on another model and the word is filtering through.

Personally i wouldn't be comfortable with the first anything off a production run for obvious reasons. Preference would be to see how the initial models hold up, buggered if i want to risk the hard earned being a test bench!

The posting is a very concise question, it is inviting an answer compared to Trimarans and Monohulls of the sailing and motoring kind.

So CON's of a Cat in my view compared to Trimarans are, 1) Not as fast in most cases. 2) Double the machinery. 3) Heavier. 4) Less stability in most cases. 5) Often less likely to have a c/board. 6) Windage. 7) Tramp area.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 23:58   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, its more that the OP requested the CONS of a multi. Predictably, the multi crowd can't think of any and immediately start to hyper defensively flood the thread. Id say those posts are the drifting off topic ones. If you don't have a con don't post. Simple. "Spread negative comments" is what we were asked for. You must not have understood the thread. Or conveniently forgot.
If you took the time to read, you'd find the "multi crowd" have answered the OP's question. And frankly the "mono crowd" wouldn't have a clue, so have nothing of any value to add to the discussion.

But one thing is sure as eggs - the fact that they have nothing to say won't stop them from saying something.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:03   #204

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you took the time to read, you'd find the "multi crowd" have answered the OP's question. And frankly the "mono crowd" wouldn't have a clue, so have nothing of any value to add to the discussion.

But one thing is sure as eggs - the fact that they have nothing to say won't stop them from saying something.
Hahahahahahahaahhahahahahahaha Thats so funny. I love it,
Old 13-03-2012, 00:09   #205

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Someone explain why many mulltihullers are so defensive and are the first to propose their boats are superior.

I wonder if the OP was asking whether there are "cons" to multihulls was because of perceived gloating of multihullers.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:14   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Someone explain why many mulltihullers are so defensive and are the first to propose their boats are superior.

I wonder if the OP was asking whether there are "cons" to multihulls was because of perceived gloating of multihullers.
We can multi-task! ie do more than one thing at once i guess!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 00:16   #207

ASK HIM?
Old 13-03-2012, 00:25   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post

ASK HIM?
I thought I already did.
Old 13-03-2012, 00:26   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I thought I already did.
We wait........
Old 13-03-2012, 00:29   #210