Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 16:49   #151

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

My interest is in Multihulls and I always go to the Multihill threads to see what is being discussed.

Also I search the systems threads, electrical, electronics, plumbing etc, but rarely search the monohull section although I will ocassionally read a thread on monohulls that is currently being discussed in the right hand header. That I am not interested in purchasing a monohull does not mean that I am closed minded about monohulls which are the valid choice for many. All vessels have cons and compromises and between cat species there are many as with monos. (Hunters and Wessails come to mind).

I suspect many monohull owners seeing the increased popularity of catamarans (although that thread was closed, thanks a lot) are interested and end up having their say which is just the way of internet forums.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:50   #152
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Now, I don't go to the monohull forum, but does the same thing happen there, do multihullers go over there and put down monohulls?

It'd be one thing if the thread in a general forum, or even a thread in the MONOHULL forum, but this IS the MULTIHULL forum. If you don't like MULTIHULLS then why be here at all?
I think that a lot of us jump into the main portal and then just look at new threads, regardless of what forum they happen to be in. If it's an interesting question, I click it, often without knowing that I've just landed in the women's forum, or....

The question "why be here at all?" is certainly pertinent. I suspect the best answer might be, "Because we like boats."

I often feel that people who claim only to like certain kinds of boats really don't understand boats at all. It's like the guy who claims he's only attracted to blonds. Does he have any idea what he's missing?

For me, multihulls are like redheads. I didn't marry one, but I can't help admiring them.
Old 12-03-2012, 16:51   #153
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
Ya besides joking around about which is better, the whole my boat is better than yours is like a bunch of 12 year olds in a play ground. Who gives a rats ass. You own what you can afford and like. All boats are fun! It just sounds like a bunch of guys in their 50s and 60s with nothing better to do than bash someone else. Do you guys do this on the dock face to face too? Or in the parking lot? My SUV is better than your sport car. ha ha. Mine's faster, well mine can drive over yours. Well I can seat 8. So what I can get to the store faster in my porsche and I don't like taxing people around anyways.

I am assuming everyone is just joking around and meant to be taken with a grain of salt. No one is this immature who can afford a boat right?

I’m as serious as a heart attack-reread my posts!!
Old 12-03-2012, 16:56   #154
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I think that a lot of us jump into the main portal and then just look at new threads, regardless of what forum they happen to be in. If it's an interesting question, I click it, often without knowing that I've just landed in the women's forum, or....

The question "why be here at all?" is certainly pertinent. I suspect the best answer might be, "Because we like boats."

I often feel that people who claim only to like certain kinds of boats really don't understand boats at all. It's like the guy who claims he's only attracted to blonds. Does he have any idea what he's missing?

For me, multihulls are like redheads. I didn't marry one, but I can't help admiring them.
Some classic remarks there...good ones!
Old 12-03-2012, 17:06   #155

Yeah.... like my wife said when that buxom blond walked by and I was daydreaming.... "sure Honey, you can look at everything on the menu, but there are only certain things you can afford!"

Old 12-03-2012, 17:16   #156

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I have both a redhead and a catamaran
And she is the financier as well
Old 12-03-2012, 17:18   #157

I'm one of those newbie folks who reads these threads for real information/ experience. I take all comments with a sense of humor generally and have learned a few things over the past few months which will help me decide which boats I'm interested in buying when the time comes. I'm interested in both monos and multis and what I really appreciate is when folks name specific boats in their critiques, as opposed to ALL monos or ALL multis. For example, I have learned that Gemini's have less bridge deck clearance than most other multis so tend to slam but they also have a narrower beam and can fit in a regular slip which means sometimes you won't be charged 1.5x the mono marina rate. I happen to love the Dana but am concerned that they are too heavy for the light air we often have in the PNW in the summer. I know minaret is well respected around here and does amazing work fixing boats and so I'd love to hear more about the specific multis that he finds are currently being built sub-standard... problems or defects prospective buyers might look for on certain models when shopping would be really helpful. And not just minaret of course but other posters to, your thoughts on specific boats are really helpful and I get that finding MY boat is not as simple as multi vs mono.
Old 12-03-2012, 17:29   #158

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I must confess that I only alluded to his "issue" (as you call wrecking his boat) because he kinda ommitted that bit from his tale of brain free voyaging............and, yes, I would have said the same if he had been aboard a mono - the only difference is that I would not have needed to add this clarification if the thread was not on Planet Multihull.

Wrecking a boat from dumb arsed decisions based on wishful thinking may be considered a succesful completion of a voyage in upside-down-land - but not everywhere, get used to it ....I would have thought acheiving the status of wreck a pertinent fact to mention (allude to? ) whilst blowing smoke up own ass.

Ooopps....I will probably get another whining PM .
It sank while I was at anchor, not sailing, and all in 10 minutes, From a dead calm sea.
Even while it was being smashed on the rocks, I still did not feel unsafe in my Gemini,

I have bought my wreck back from the insurance company and I will ship it to Melbourne where it will be repaired well above the original specs it came with,

It will be a better boat for it, I will be updating the hulls so that I can set it down on beaches with out damage of any kind, Including damaging the thru hulls,

As for a whining PM, you have to joking, I wouldnt lower myself to your standards or lack off,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 12-03-2012, 17:36   #159

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, its more that the OP requested the CONS of a multi. Predictably, the multi crowd can't think of any and immediately start to hyper defensively flood the thread. Id say those posts are the drifting off topic ones. If you don't have a con don't post. Simple. "Spread negative comments" is what we were asked for. You must not have understood the thread. Or conveniently forgot.

Yea, it went the way it always does.

Some of the multi owners just want to dispel some of the ignorance though. I don't blame them really.

I know some Gems have gone far and wide. Maybe if I was young. No way I would do it now though. I remember being out (and having a great time) in a 18' Westerly Nimrod when I was 21. Silly boy!

For the OP.

One of the things you have to take into account is the price. You can get a really good old mono for cheap and head out. A really good old cat is a lot more.

How much you got?
Old 12-03-2012, 17:41   #160

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I just sailed my Gemini 105 MC across 3 oceans single handed and not once did I feel unsafe in her, And I had some very scary moments with the bad weather,

Mooring in a Marina is easy, Both Centre boards down, it does not slip sideways,

I fit in a normal slip, so I only get charged for one hull, 14 feet wide,

The low clearance under the bridgedeck does slam a bit in winds that are on the nose, But with a following sea, no problems, no slam,

Most of the hull cleaning and painting can be done at low water on a sand bank.

Jealosy is extreme when you talk to Mono hull drivers, Most have never even been on a Cat, But they have all the supposed knowledge of Cats, Duhhhh,

Modern Cats have had their sail rigs reduced to stop pitch poling, plus the wider hulls go a lot to stop this happening these days,

Racing Multi's have very thin hulls for speed, cruising Cats dont,

I averaged between 5 and 8 knots most of the way, I cant sail for ****, so am not a racer, so approx 150 NM per day,

I prefer to cruise at a lower speed so as to not over load my sails and equiptment,

You cant get spares out there, so take it easy and dont break any thing,

Love my Gemini 105 MC, 2003 model. Hull 825,

And it is a true blue water vessel. with out doubt, I have no hesitation of sailing it any where across the oceans,

Plus Cats dont sink like Mono's do,

Mono's have a saying, Gone in 30 seconds,

That means they have sunk in 30 seconds,

And in the worst storm, I can still put my coffee down and it will stay there where I put it,

My Gem drives it self, so I just sit back and enjoy the trip. or sleep.
Whoa, there Mr. B! You just answered a question actually posed by the PO. We need more like you! Nice job.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:05   #161
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
cons...
- costs (many variations on this theme...up front, maintenance, cleaning, berthing, etc etc)
- more limited access to marinas
- hobbie horse sea motion
- bridge deck slamming
- lack of wave penetration ability
- lack of rig stress 'feedback' when underway
- leeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It is hard to come up with a Con for cats. These come to mind:
* Moorage at a dock is usualy more expensive.
*It can be hard to tell when you are over canvassed, need to learn to watch for it.
*often an additional motor to maintain. (then again it is redundency!)
*The motion is less severe, but more jerky. Personally I prefer the jerky over bruised hips..
* for the true thrill of sailing, spray flying, beating to weather the mono wins. You just point a cat and go... with your coffee on the table..
+1 for all of these cons.

Another con would be the interior fit and finish is typically less then a comparable in price/length mono.
There's a lot to like and enjoy with mono's. Sometimes I question whether I would have been better off with a 60 footish bluewater mono.

I have to add that so far the biggest pro's have been no rolling at anchor and being able to fish with multiple lines while drinking a beer that doesn't fall off the table. And they are probably twice as easy to sail and dock, IMO.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:07   #162
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

DOJ - I think you where really out of line with your comments on this thread. Please reconsider them.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:32   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
...For the OP.

One of the things you have to take into account is the price. You can get a really good old mono for cheap and head out. A really good old cat is a lot more.

How much you got?
Over the past six months or so, I have looked at several boats - all monos - with a big range in cost. Boats considered bluewater seaworthy are expensive, despite most being 20 or more years old. For example, a 1989 31 foot Pacific Craft sells for around $70,000, a 1989 32 Island Packet sells for over $125,000.
Now, I know that Alberg 30s, Cal 30's, Endeavers, Cape Dory's, and others can be had for $20-30 or under but those boats are 25-30 years old and require serious expenditure for refitting.

When I was in my 20's I bought old houses, lived in the slums, and completely renovated the houses as I lived in them. When finished I sold the house and moved on to another.
Now, I am way past the tolerance of living in a slum, way too old to think about hard labor to restore the ancient and would rather not spend a year or two or three refitting a boat.

Over the past couple of weeks, while internet shopping for a catamaran, I have found an '86 Prout 37 recently completely refitted already for around $60,000 or I could get a pretty new model (2005-08) Gemini 105 for $100,000 to around $150,000 plus several other viable options. And just about all of the cats I have looked at include solar panels, a full array of electronics, dinghy, motor, davits and other nice little amenities that are hardly ever found on the aforementioned mono boats.

As a matter of fact, I have scratched off price as a con to getting a cat. I think overall, the catamarans are better deals. And I there seems to be a larger selection of available boats.

Conversely, I have also noticed some high quality cats that I know I would fall in love with - these include Outremer, Mahe, Lagoon and others but they are much more expensive and even though, obviously better boats, if I cannot afford one, they are not my ideal boat.

Lastly, to address what I want to spend. Well, that $60,000 Prout sure sounds appealing from a price point but do I want a 25 year old boat? Hmm, no. I would rather spend $100,000 and get a 2006-07 Gemini 105.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:55   #164

Boat: First cat Lock Crowther # 150 47' cat, next cat, still looking ..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I'm one of those newbie folks who reads these threads for real information/ experience. I take all comments with a sense of humor generally and have learned a few things over the past few months which will help me decide which boats I'm interested in buying when the time comes. I'm interested in both monos and multis and what I really appreciate is when folks name specific boats in their critiques, as opposed to ALL monos or ALL multis. For example, I have learned that Gemini's have less bridge deck clearance than most other multis so tend to slam but they also have a narrower beam and can fit in a regular slip which means sometimes you won't be charged 1.5x the mono marina rate. I happen to love the Dana but am concerned that they are too heavy for the light air we often have in the PNW in the summer. I know minaret is well respected around here and does amazing work fixing boats and so I'd love to hear more about the specific multis that he finds are currently being built sub-standard... problems or defects prospective buyers might look for on certain models when shopping would be really helpful. And not just minaret of course but other posters to, your thoughts on specific boats are really helpful and I get that finding MY boat is not as simple as multi vs mono.
Mono's, Cat's, and tri designs, can all be completely and totally different with-in their design group, as you could possibly imagine.

Does Monohull westsail 39, sail anything like a open 40? no,
Does Catamaran catalac 12 meter, sail anything like formula 40? no,
Does a trimaran TRi-star 60, sail anything like a orma 60? no.

These are all extreme differences in boat design, all about the same loa, but all as different as chalk and cheese, and I am pretty sure all these boat designs, have crossed oceans, and or logged many ocean sailing miles.

The point is, with so many different boat designs out there, people really need to do their home work, long before they get the boat and systems, that suits "them", and in turn gets "them" out sailing, and going sailing is usually the objective at the end of the day, right?

In my opinion, getting out sailing on as many different designs as possible, will give you the real "hands on" opportunity, to experience the design in real time. Any boat, dock day sailing from home base, will never be the same as, the same boat design loaded for cruising, and how the owner loads the boat down will determine a great deal about how she sails. Ive seen plenty of cruising boats bow or bows down, because the owner threw everything up front, in the bow at the dock, because it was easy...

But, there is nothing better for a real true reference than spending time on the designs you like, actually using the boat, that's the key.

Everyone has opinions, (and i think we all know the rest of that saying)
do yourself a favor, and invest the time "hands on".
Old 12-03-2012, 19:02   #165

Send a message via Skype™ to Ontos45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Yes let us know the details this could help all of us !
I sure would like to know as in the market for a 36-40footer in Australia and have sailed only monohulls in the 80's (Endeavour 24 and Roberts 36)
Looking at cats because of room for 2 couples for extensive cruising (ages from 50-70) Speed above 10knots not neccessary-not in a Sydney to Hobart- and like the perceived safty of dual motors. Most cats in Oz seem to have room, sleek lines but only 1 head and shower. For 2 couples feel that 2 heads neccessary.
As mentioned on earlier post, she who must be obeyed, likes Leopards but I dont like the blunt fore of saloon, sees to be a "wave-trap" to me.
Browsing at the moment but looking at upto AUD$300,000 (goodbye 4x4 and caravan). Am I in the right ball park?
Hope that I can get some constructive advice folks without the denigration of either mono's or multys.
Peter and Sue
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran