Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2008, 01:50   #31
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Just want to jump in here and add my "Thank You" to Wheels and all the other mods and helpers. You are doing a great job and one can see the task is not always easy. Thanks again

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 03:59   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
.....This forum is first and foremostly a "Cruisers Forum" designed to be a place for cruisers to hang out on, share experiences, share knowledge and most importantly, build relationships/friendships with other like minded people all over the world.
Sounds great Wheels….so when do we all get to come over for a Barbie? ….I’ll bring the San Miguel

Old 16-05-2008, 05:07   #33
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Soooo??? I don't quite understand your point David.
I think he's suggesting that it's possible your actions are arbitrary and a bit uneven.

You have mail Alan.
Old 16-05-2008, 05:13   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Not getting the answer actually answers the first part of your question of "does anybody". The answer is no, nobody has the experience. It can also be interpreted as, "No I don't have the answer, but I do know this" or..."my experience suggest". That is just how a Forum like this one works.
I suggest If you want to discuss technical topics in a technical manner with having accurate information being given, go join one of the technical web forums. But I can assure you of one thing. They are sterile places and often only one or two actually give the replies so as they can ensure correct information is returned. I hope that helps a little more.
A bit. It looks that those looking for the middle ground of accurate infomation or experience (but not overly technical) things are going to be hit or miss.

To address the point you made at the top, I've gotten responses and the more valuable ones are from the "in my experience" presepective. But others have the tone of "I don't know anything about this but other people don't know anything more say it's bad ... so it's bad". The funny thing is, I find the experts to be more willing to consider the advant garde than masses. If you look at recent articles by Nigel Calder you see articles on diesel electric drive and upcomming battery, charging and power management technologies. Not so sure how that would be greeted by forum readers as in my experience.

Regardless, I think this is the best forum I've found in both tone and content and I think in large part this is due to a set of dedicated moderators. So thanks again

Quote:
Ummm, not that I am aware, can you give me more info??
I thought it was was on epoxy vs vinyl ester. When you said I did a little poking about. It turns out it was Composite boat-building materials & techniques thread.

Sorry about that.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 05:27   #35
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
If you enforce your Disagreement Pyramid I for one will be very happy. It's a relief to see that you are now requiring a debatable point to be made in a multihull attack. I would therefor assume that all Trolls, wives tales and rumors will be deleted instantly, thereby avoiding most of the unpleasantness.
Rick,

I just wanted to clear something up.

I posted the "Disagreement Pyramid" as a point of interest, since it describes different levels of argument in a situation where two parties disagree on a topic. There is absolutle NO intent on the part of the moderation team to "enforce" it on anyone.

The Forum's "Rules" (click on the button in the upper left of the page) are what we go by here.
Old 16-05-2008, 05:37   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Rick,

I just wanted to clear something up..
Glad you did
Old 16-05-2008, 06:11   #37

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Personally, I enjoy the cultural differences... it can be fun to try and tease out the meaning of a phrase.
When I was on the So. Pacific it was always dangerous to get drunk and hang out with any Kiwis...I had no idea what they were telling me to do and as an impressionable 20-something they used me like their personal version of Looney Tunes. Thankfully, if I bear any scars, I don't remember their origin.
Oh, and I did make a Brit chick topple overboard by talking about a fanny pack... after climbing back aboard and drying off, she suggested the name Bum Bag. When I explained to her that to me, that meant a homeless man's shopping cart...well, we downed some more liquor and forgot what we were talking about.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 08:22   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Soooo??? I don't quite understand your point David.
No point...just a bad attempt at humor.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 09:13   #39
Provocateur & Raconteur

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau.com TW31 Modified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
So who gets to sit at the pointy end Hud ?
The token minority "stinkboater" of course! It's the only way to get a totally unbias'd opinion on the mono vs multi hull debates eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartass1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	3590  
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 13:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I think he's suggesting that it's possible your actions are arbitrary and a bit uneven.
Rick, do you not read English? You are using my words in correctly. I think what I stated was rather obvious. I don't understand (thanks David, I do now) the comment.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 14:20   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Rick, do you not read English? You are using my words in correctly. I think what I stated was rather obvious. I don't understand (thanks David, I do now) the comment.

I'm fine with English. It's Kiwis I'm having a problem with. Evidently this is a tough dialect.
Old 16-05-2008, 21:17   #42
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
The token minority "stinkboater" of course! It's the only way to get a totally unbias'd opinion on the mono vs multi hull debates eh?
LOL That really cut me up, but are you sure you want to sit up there?....Knot much wiggle room! (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 16-05-2008, 22:10   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Whot Knot?
Even stink boats can be multis and or monos. I think if you look close you may find most are one or the other

Sorry Rick, sometimes us Kiwis forget we don't have accents like the rest of the world
Old 17-05-2008, 00:22   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I'm fine with English. It's Kiwis I'm having a problem with. Evidently this is a tough dialect.

Maaaaaate!! you aint on your pat malone there. Decent cobbers such as myself also cant cop a bar of our sheep enjoying cousins across the ditch

(Translation from Australian -

Maaaaaate!! Friend

you aint on your pat malone there. You are not alone

Decent cobbers such as myself Ordinary decent australians

also cant cop a bar of are not inclined towards

our sheep enjoying cousins across the ditch citizens of New Zealand across the tasman sea

Note for the easily offended - this is a joke, okay designed to lighten the moment etc etc I really do like New Zealand - so much so that I might even buy it one day if their economy goes any further down.
Old 17-05-2008, 00:46   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I might even buy it one day if their economy goes any further down.
Only if you promise to take Auntie Helen as well.
Actually, what you do is buy the country, take as much money out of it as you can, let it all run down till none of it works anymore, then Auntie Helen and Uncle Micheal will buy it back from you for more than you paid and will take all the debt as well. I tell ya, we kiwis are an obliging bunch. But the sheep jokes don't work anymore. They are getting rather rare here now. Mostly dairy now.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: