Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 23:25   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Temporary electric bow thruster on a cat?

Make a bracket to mount the electric outboard upside down on the aft deck.

Remove the prop and fit a fishing reel to the prop shaft.

Voila, you've solved the problem of what to do with the electric outboard and will be the envy of all your mates

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 02:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I guess I started this. The one I saw locally had a hydraulic mount. I asked the question to get an owners opinion as to whether of not it was overkill with 50HP. I'd bet a couple of 15HP four strokes with the long leg and "power thrust" would be the nuts.
I think you are confusing tiling the motor vs lifting the bucket.

If we just tilted the motor, the skeg was right at the water line, so if you were loaded a little heavy or there was even 6" waves, it was constantly in the water.

On the Gemini there is a fiberglass bucket that the motor sits on and the entire bucket can be raised or lowered. By raising the bucket and tilting the motor, the skeg is well clear of the water. We sold when the motor was 9yrs old. Original paint and only changed the zincs once.

With the 50hp, I think they use hydralics to tilt (the 25hp was manual) but I would expect the same issue with the skeg being at the waterline. I know at least one guy who used a 50hp and wound up fiberglassing the bucket in place to handle the extra strain from a heavier more powerful motor.

50hp is certainly doable but unless it came with the 50hp, it wouldn't be my recommendation.

valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 07:56   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think you are confusing tiling the motor vs lifting the bucket.

If we just tilted the motor, the skeg was right at the water line, so if you were loaded a little heavy or there was even 6" waves, it was constantly in the water.

On the Gemini there is a fiberglass bucket that the motor sits on and the entire bucket can be raised or lowered. By raising the bucket and tilting the motor, the skeg is well clear of the water. We sold when the motor was 9yrs old. Original paint and only changed the zincs once.

With the 50hp, I think they use hydralics to tilt (the 25hp was manual) but I would expect the same issue with the skeg being at the waterline. I know at least one guy who used a 50hp and wound up fiberglassing the bucket in place to handle the extra strain from a heavier more powerful motor.

50hp is certainly doable but unless it came with the 50hp, it wouldn't be my recommendation.
If I implied the 15s would not be on a lift able brackets that was not the intention. I was aiming at a good combination for power requirements and increased maneuverability.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 01:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If I implied the 15s would not be on a lift able brackets that was not the intention. I was aiming at a good combination for power requirements and increased maneuverability.
I was referring to the 50hp option.

When the 105's first came out they did just that...put two 15hp outboards on the same bucket. Only thing I could figure is they wanted redundancy but only saw a couple before they stopped offering it. I think a single 25hp would give you more thrust per HP and make up the difference for a lower up front cost and less complications.

You could retrofit twin outboards to either side of the stern but keep in mind the stern between the hulls is only about 6' wide, so if you are thinking standard twin motor catamaran operation, it will work but not as well as you might think. With the single central motor that turns with the rudders, I'm not sure you would gain much of anything.

If you are thinking redundancy, we had a motor mount on one of the back steps. Primarily for storage of the dingy motor but it was spring loaded and could drop the prop into the water. You wouldn't get anywhere fast with 5hp but you would have backup to get into a slip or anchor. Never tried it but if you put someone on the steps operating the dingy motor, it would work like a stern thruster...but again probably more hassle than it's worth plus do you really want someone hanging off the stern for normal docking procedure.

valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric