Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 10:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Tech Sails for Non-Tech Catamarans? Here is what I did (photos / 4k video)

I was contemplating for awhile on what sails I should get for my 2006 Lagoon 440. The sails on the boat were original Dacron sails from 2006 and they were really stretched out. I knew I needed a new set but man - there are soooo man options out there.

Back in 2004 I bought a CSY 44' monohull and worked with a local sailmaker, Dave Calvert, to supply a new main and jib. They were Dacron and worked really well. I didn't go all that far - from Key Largo to the Virgin Islands and the bahamas. The sails worked great and because of this I really trusted what Calvert had to say.

Fast forward to this year - I have many friends with amazing sailing backgrounds - with different opinions on what I should do. Bottom line - I have enough experience now to take in what others say to form my own decision. Back in the day I would agree with the most passionate person...! I needed new sails that would take me to the South Pacific and beyond.

There are a number of sail lofts around but my experience with Calvert has been very positive and he just so happened to be in Key Largo when I was and we talked about all the different materials that he could offer. I don't have an unlimited budget so price was a factor - but performance and longevity were big factors as well.

I ended up going with Dimension Polyant Lite Skin / Carbon Sport sails for the main and jib with the offshore package. I also picked up a code zero (DP as well - CZ90 that we will install this week). The Lite Skin is really what pushed me over the top. From my research (and there is so little out there to read) the Lite Skin is just an incredible material. It doesn't crease and it is relatively light... and most of all... TOUGH.

My friend came down and we created this quick video to showcase the sails in Key Largo.... it was a pretty light wind day and my friend is from Portland, OR so we had to do it then or not at all. I'll have a video review with boat speed numbers soon. Hope to head to the Bahamas within the next few weeks and will be able to really tell the differences.

Initial impressions are extremely positive. I can tell the speed of the boat is up - and the shape of the sails much, much tighter than my last set. But of course it isn't fair to compare them to the last set as they were past their prime. The new sails are bigger as well.

Bottom line - I'll be able to report back on the performance gain during the trip to the Bahamas and the longevity years from now.... hopefully MANY years....!

Video: https://youtu.be/Q03gA4MqKBI
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09   #2

Boat: longing for a trimaran
Re: Tech Sails for Non-Tech Catamarans? Here is what I did (photos / 4k video)

Looking Good!
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10   #3

What is the price difference between the Dacron and these new ones?.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
What is the price difference between the Dacron and these new ones?.

I would say 70% more or around there - so not trivial.
Old 10-12-2018, 14:03   #5

Boat looks amazing! Congrats
ANJOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 14:57   #6

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

We just put a full set of sails on our PDQ36 X .the replace a kevlar set , boy what a difference. You will really notice it when you are out on a puffy day , when the just hits ,its like “wham “and off you go . Your pointing will really improve .
I raced against Dave Calvert several years ago in Youngstown NY ,super guy
Old 10-12-2018, 15:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am always amazed at people who buy a sailing boat and then dont care how it sails or what the sails perform like. This is a wonderful example of the difference good sails can make , not just to the actual performance but to the enjoyment of sailing. Be interested to hear longer term thoughts.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 17:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I am always amazed at people who buy a sailing boat and then dont care how it sails......

I agree 100%. People are spending major money on these boats but neglect the actual namesake of the vessel.... SAIL boat...!
Old 10-12-2018, 17:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
We just put a full set of sails on our PDQ36 X .the replace a kevlar set , boy what a difference. You will really notice it when you are out on a puffy day , when the just hits ,its like “wham “and off you go . Your pointing will really improve .
I raced against Dave Calvert several years ago in Youngstown NY ,super guy

Nice boat! And yes... I am truly amazed at how much closer we can point. I’m sure not nearly as close as you - but way closer than I was able to! And Calvert not only is a hell of a cool guy - he makes one of the best sails for catamarans. He has been sailing them for many years so he knows what is going to work for our boats.
Old 10-12-2018, 21:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by solecollector View Post
Nice boat! And yes... I am truly amazed at how much closer we can point. I’m sure not nearly as close as you - but way closer than I was able to! And Calvert not only is a hell of a cool guy - he makes one of the best sails for catamarans. He has been sailing them for many years so he knows what is going to work for our boats.
The other thing I think I noticed was less leeway because of less drag in the sails

Up here in Toronto we stilluse the guy that made OEM sails for the PDQs he designs lays out and cuts and his mother and another lady sew . Really old school , my brother used to work with his father when he was younger. Ron Fernandez at Triton sails .
A couple of guys got sails from Smyth , they where quite disappointed, did not fit well and not made by his loft I think .
Old 13-12-2018, 13:51   #11

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by solecollector View Post
How much closer do you think you point with the new Genoa? Is it 2 deg or more like 5. I have found on my 380 that 48 deg works well, 44 does ok and below that I feel like I am pinching more and more. It will hold to 40-42, but i think i am going much slower and too much leeway. Have never measure VMG. But if I could be doing at 42 deg what I am doing at 48 now, that would be a game changer. That would be 12 deg, you could actually tack up a course!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 14:38   #12

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Would you have bought them over other materials if you didn't care about pointing, or were doing trade wind passages?

In my boat I avoid going to wind whenever possible so pointing ability is neither here nor there. That being said, it's probably because I'm in the Med, and going into the wind always means short choppy seas.

I really liked the editing of the video. That day/night shot at the end must have been tough to line up correctly.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 15:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Would you have bought them over other materials if you didn't care about pointing, or were doing trade wind passages?

In my boat I avoid going to wind whenever possible so pointing ability is neither here nor there. That being said, it's probably because I'm in the Med, and going into the wind always means short choppy seas.

I really liked the editing of the video. That day/night shot at the end must have been tough to line up correctly.
On our PDQ36R I found that performance improved on all points of sail. Regarding going upwind you might find that modern sails may change your opinion of doing it , I do get your point on the chop.
Old 13-12-2018, 15:35   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Nice video! Looks like your sailing through the channel leading to or from Tarpon Basin in the Keys?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 15:55   #15

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

SoleCollector. Congratulations on your new sails. We previously had a Seawind 1000 (33 ft) cat, and changed from four-year old Dacron sails to Pentex cruise laminate. It was shocking how much better the boat pointed, and faster. We sold that boat earlier this year, and have a Seawind 1160 Lite (38 ft) catamaran build just about to leave the factory in Vietnam. We are having square top main and a jib built from same material as you - Dimension Polyant Lite Skin GPL. Two other sister ships have the sails and are very happy with performance. When I was considering what material to use for our new sails, I heard a lot of "you only need Dacron." Yeah, but I want to cruise fast, and not just downwind, and I want sails that have the same performance shape ten years from now. Cruising fast is fun. Pointing high is fun. Settling for anything less is just that - settling.

As for the price difference questions: Our Lite Skin mainsail and jib combo were $1600 more expensive than DP Pro Radial dacron. They were $1200 more expensive than the heavy HydraNet. Sure, you have to guard against chafe, but they are also more mildew resistant than the cruise laminate sails. Of course, Dacron is the most mildew resistant, but maintaining shape long term is going to require recuts.

Finally, David Calvert made some very nice sails for our Corsair 28R that we owned before the first Seawind. They were competitive, and held up well. He's also made a set of Lite Skin sails for another Forum member, who owns a Maine Cat 38, and he's very satisfied as well. We considered going back to David for the new Seawind, but instead stuck with Neil Tasker at Barracouta Sails in Australia, who made our Seawind 1000 sails, has lots of experience racing the Seawind 1160, very familiar with the rig, and sail design development.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, photo, sail, sails