Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 02:27   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Team Australia Sydney to Hobart Record Attempt

Well known Australian yachtsman Sean Langman and his crew on the trimaran Team Australia (ex Banque Populaire Orma 60) are at this very time attempting to break the record for a run from Sydney to Hobart.

The current record is held by the Australian monohull maxi Wild Oats and even though Team Australia is a trimaran it is entirely sailed by the crew and does not use diesel powered assistance like Wild Oats does for it's canting keel.

Team Australia is currently flying along at around 25 Knots and is currently ahead of race record pace and will be entering Bass Strait later tonight in very favourable conditions.

Here is a link to their Yellowbrick onboard tracker.

Yellowbrick Tracking - YBlog - teamaustralia

Sail World Article.

Sail-World.com : Team Australia now chasing Wild Oats XI
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 05:26   #2

Re: Team Australia Sydney to Hobart Record Attempt

Just entering Bass Strait now - current SOG 30.1 knots. Absolutely flying!

Well ahead of the record pace.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

What a blast, go you good thing
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:49   #4

Bass Strait is now well behind them as they are now charging down the East coast of Tasmania at over 25 Knots with over two thirds of the journey behind them.

Top speed so far has been 38 Knots.
Old 22-02-2013, 14:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

They are well in front of the motor sailer that currently holds the record. Hope the weather holds for them.
Old 22-02-2013, 15:49   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hmmmm does this sort of record really matter when they have just waited (and waited) for the right weather?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:00   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hmmmm does this sort of record really matter when they have just waited (and waited) for the right weather?
+1 I agree MarkJ same thing with all of these attempts on records. It is an unfair advantage to wait for the weather and to have a weather router figure out which way you should go.

Not saying it isn't good sailing but it is a different cup of tea.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 16:38   #8

Mark, yeah I know where you are coming from but Wild Oats will still hold the race record for the Sydney to Hobart yacht race itself. But then again I am in the same court as Factor as personally I do not agree with the diesel motor powered canting keels and electric winches on the big maxis like Wild Oats.

I believe that a sailboat should be just that and sailed by the crew with manpower.

A lot of records whether they be sail, land speed records & a myriad of others were all planned to take place under the most favourable conditions.

I just like following the big trimaran on the tracker & the speeds are awesome especially as they have been through 40+ knot winds. I hope they have been able to take some video to put on Youtube as it would be great to see.

BTW - as an aside I see that that have recently done a gybe and are now heading for Storm Bay at the mouth of the Derwent River but they are a helluva long way off the coast which looks to be approx 100 miles.
Old 22-02-2013, 16:58   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
A lot of records whether they be sail, land speed records & a myriad of others were all planned to take place under the most favourable conditions.

No they're not. Never were and the real ones will never be. The Trans Atlantic mob waited a full year for the right system, half a day behind a specific storm or whatever.

Where as the Tea Clippers did the 100 days England to Australia when they left to when they arrived. they had no controll over when they left.

Its a total wank to claim anything else.

And next year, after this mob break some 'record', and some boat in the Sydney Hobart yacht race doesnt go as fast you'll crap on.

No, records where one boat(s) wait for conditions arn't records at all. they are tosses dreams for people with their hands down their trousers playing pocket billiards.

Total wank.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 17:17   #10

Quote:
No they're not. Never were and the real ones will never be. The Trans Atlantic mob waited a full year for the right system, half a day behind a specific storm or whatever.

Where as the Tea Clippers did the 100 days England to Australia when they left to when they arrived. they had no controll over when they left.

And next year, after this mob break some 'record', and some boat in the Sydney Hobart yacht race doesnt go as fast you'll crap on.

No, records where one boat(s) wait for conditions arn't records at all. they are tosses dreams for people with their hands down their trousers playing pocket billiards.

Total wank.
Mark, the Tea Clippers did these runs backwards and forwards constantly so obviously they would encounter the right conditions to set a record during this time. I'm certainly not taking anything away from their great achievements.

I can absolutely guarantee that I won't be crapping on as you say when a Sydney to Hobart competing boat doesn't go as fast as an Orma 60 trimaran. Totally different ballpark.

Being an ocean racer myself I just love all endeavours to do with the sea,even including the wanky money is no object powerboat ocean crossings. I would love to get the chance one day to experience a sailboat doing 35+ knots which would be awesome. Just over 20 knots is my best so far.
Old 22-02-2013, 17:44   #11

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

One can say most sail racing is a wank.

When the Race committee for the Sydney to Hobart allows Multihulls to compete for line honours we will know they are serious about sailing and not wanking.

Meanwhile it will remain a Wank.

Great to Team Australia smash the record.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 21:08   #12

Quote:

Total wank.
The Sydney-Hobart record isn't held by a tea clipper. It's held by a boat that needs a 150hp diesel revving it's arse off to enable it to "sail".

I know which is the "total wank".
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 21:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
+1 I agree MarkJ same thing with all of these attempts on records. It is an unfair advantage to wait for the weather and to have a weather router figure out which way you should go.

Not saying it isn't good sailing but it is a different cup of tea.
Ahem - how is it unfair to follow the rules laid down by the WSSRC? Team Australia obviously cant compete for the Race Record, it isnt allowed to enter. So its chasing the WORLD SPEED SAILING RECORD COUNCI's endorsed record for the Sydney Hobart Passage.

They now have over 12 hours to do not many miles and they are travelling at 21 knots. (As in the record is 1 day 18 hours and they are 1 day and 5 hours in) and They are going to pee all over the motor sailer with her 150 HP diesel.

Lets not forget that wild oats (the motor sailer) cost 20 times as much, perhaps more.
Old 22-02-2013, 21:58   #14

Boat: Westerly 43

Why doesn't this trimaran do the Sydney to Hobart race itself?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:08   #15

Team Australia has now arrived in Hobart. It was a bit unfortunate that they could not stick closer to the rhumb line as that big dogleg out to sea would have added several hours to their time. Without this they may have even been able to finish in under 24 hours which is not outside of the ability of the boat & crew.

Overall a great run though using crew power only.

Tags
Australia, record, sydney