Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 22:10   #16

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: Team Australia Sydney to Hobart Record Attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Why doesn't this trimaran do the Sydney to Hobart race itself?
Because the Sydney to Hobart race is restricted to monohulls only and does not have a multihull division.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:31   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Sydney Hobart starts on Boxing Day. These wankers started the hour their highly paid meteorologists told them was the optimum. There is no comparison.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:47   #18

Boat: Niagara 35
You guys are unbelievable! A race record isn't the same as an all out speed record. Wild Oats used to hold both, but it lost one today.

What sort of crap sailor doesn't wait for good conditions to do a crossing? Weather is part of ocean racing. Using it to your advantage is hardly cheating! Luck with weather has always been a factor and always will. They would have been idiots to try the record on any random day instead of waiting for a good window.
Old 22-02-2013, 22:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
You guys are unbelievable! A race record isn't the same as an all out speed record. Wild Oats used to hold both, but it lost one today.

What sort of crap sailor doesn't wait for good conditions to do a crossing? Weather is part of ocean racing. Using it to your advantage is hardly cheating! Luck with weather has always been a factor and always will. They would have been idiots to try the record on any random day instead of waiting for a good window.
Very well said and your comments are spot on.

I can't believe what some people problems are with this either - apart from the tall poppy syndrome.

They just sail on a very fast boat that is purpose built for such things and endeavours like this test sailing gear to the max and this is where new developments are often spawned which often flow on to the general sailing community as a whole.
Old 22-02-2013, 23:07   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If these guys had started 5 minutes behind the real racers and set a record, I would say they had a fast boat. There are half a dozen boats in the real race capable of a 600 mile day, given perfect conditions. Just look at the polars--these boats all do 25k broad reaching and 12k on the breeze.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 23:26   #21

Every fast monohull that competes in the Sydney to Hobart has the opportunity to do exactly what Sean Langman and his crew have just done any time that they want. But none of them ever try. And don't tell me that the skippers of these monohulls would not like to break one of Wild Oat's records.

Team Australia's top speed during this run was 39.6 Knots.

Here is a link to an article from Sail World who are giving them the credit that they so well deserve after smashing the record.

Sail-World.com : Team Australia smashes Sydney Hobart passage record
Old 23-02-2013, 00:01   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Ok lets get the trimaran at Sydney heads on the 26/12/2013 ready to go,then we will see.

But i am sure someone will have an issue with that too.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 01:50   #23

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Ok lets get the trimaran at Sydney heads on the 26/12/2013 ready to go,then we will see.

But i am sure someone will have an issue with that too.
People have issues with all kinds of stuff, I think Sean & his team probably enjoyed the trip, much Quicker than in Maluka but apparently that was fun too & that's the whole point.
If they had lined up with the Syd-Hobart fleet they may well have beaten them but copped more criticism for "grandstanding"/disrespect or whatever, much as that kinda stuff was for Ian Johnston & Cathy Hawkins back in the day
The Sydney Morning Herald - Google News Archive Search

Of course they could have supported some charity for the expence but couldn't we all to some greater extent...... for what gets spent on our boats?

Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 02:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If these guys had started 5 minutes behind the real racers and set a record, I would say they had a fast boat. There are half a dozen boats in the real race capable of a 600 mile day, given perfect conditions. Just look at the polars--these boats all do 25k broad reaching and 12k on the breeze.
Try the Brisbane to Gladstone Race then, In a race that has monos and multis Team Australia smashed the "real racers" as you would describe them. Smashed them. I really dont understand why you are critical of someone who has simply followed the WSSRC rules.

Real Racers apparently includes boats that run 150 HP diesels non stop, and if the engine fails they have to withdraw from the race. Funny old world when that is "real racing"

BTW the owner of Team Australia knows a thing or two about small slow trips to Hobart. He and his son sail Maluka of Kermandie an 80 year old 30 footer in the "real race" It was the last boat to reach Hobart in 2011.

He says the secret of Maluka of Kermandie's longevity is what she was built out of. Other than her beautiful sea keeping design, she was built out of huon pine, and huon pine trees that are in this boat are thousands of years old.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 03:11   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I put my last post too strongly in wording. *Sorry*
I meant wool clippers too, not tea clippers, of course.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 03:30   #26

And here is a clip of Team Australia in the Brisbane to Gladstone Race 2012 where they broke the 8 year old multihull line honours record by almost 2 & a half hours along with taking out several other trophies.

They beat the monohull line honours winner which was the maxi yacht Wild Thing over the finish line by over 5 and a half hours. Smashed him as Factor said!

As you can see in the clip they are recognised as Australia's Fastest Sailing Boat.

What a blast!
Old 23-02-2013, 03:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I put my last post too strongly in wording. *Sorry*
I meant wool clippers too, not tea clippers, of course.
No worries Mark. I fly into St Martin on Tues March 5 so if you are still around & our paths should cross you can buy me a beer.
Old 23-02-2013, 05:53   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
No worries Mark. I fly into St Martin on Tues March 5 so if you are still around & our paths should cross you can buy me a beer.
Sure!!! I'll buy anyone a 7 or a Pony!

I am pretty sure I will be here

Email me.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:54   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Every fast monohull that competes in the Sydney to Hobart has the opportunity to do exactly what Sean Langman and his crew have just done any time that they want. But none of them ever try. And don't tell me that the skippers of these monohulls would not like to break one of Wild Oat's records.

Team Australia's top speed during this run was 39.6 Knots.

Here is a link to an article from Sail World who are giving them the credit that they so well deserve after smashing the record.

Sail-World.com : Team Australia smashes Sydney Hobart passage record
Exactly. I think people are getting all hung up on this because they don't realize that it's two completely different records. If the race was called something different, it wouldn't be a problem. When people try to set a round the world record, people don't cry foul and say they should have done the Vendee Globe.

In fact, I would submit that there is more skill and less luck involved in waiting for and recognizing just the right weather window for the all out record. For the race record, you just go to the race and if the conditions happen to be really good, then you might beat the record that was set by a faster boat in a previous year that didn't have as good conditions. Weather forecasting and routing is a sailor's skill just as much as trimming a main.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 14:09   #30

The reason people like Donradcliffe are getting hung up on this is simple. It has to do with the number of hulls the boat has.

I find it amazing that a boat that has to have a 150hp diesel runing full bore for the entire trip is more acceptable as a "sailing" record, than a completely sail and human powered trimaran.

Wonder how much fuel Wild Oats used to set it's "Sailing" record?

Congrats to Langman and his team of SAILORS.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, record, sydney