Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 15:46   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Tank Sizes

MAny cats that are geared towards charter business have larger tanks. A 40 ft cat would typically have 600 liter water, 40-50 liters holding tanks for each head and 250-300 liters of fuel.
With the increased used of water makers, I see that in newer models, water tanks are going down by size.

Also, as Paul said, where and how you are going to use yr boat, how many you will be on board when cruising can change the picture drastically. Therefore a configuragion that works for me, might not for you..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 22:42   #17

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Our Lagoon 380 has, and it is new.
2 x 300 Liter Water
2 x 130 Liter fuel
2 x 90 Liter Holding
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57   #18

Boat: St Francis 44 MkII

If you NEVER want to go to the pumpout, then replace your head (at least 1 of them) with a composting toilet.
Lots of info here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ets-33029.html
We were very close to doing it but when we talked to the guy at Nature's Head he didn't recommended it for a family of 4 and liveaboards, but it's perfect for 2.
At a thousand a poop for one, we just couldn't buy 2.
crewofnoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

My boat has the following:
110 Gallon Diesel
120 Gallon fresh water
60 gallon holding

I have a 6.7 gallon per hour water maker.
The amount of diesel is perfectly adequate for about 150 engine hours. I get 6 knots on one engine so I have a range of about 900 nautical miles of motoring. I have fresh water flush heads so I use way more fresh water than I need to. If you have saltwater flush heads your water use should be way below mine. My 120 gallons last about 5 days with 4 people on board with reasonable conservation efforts. The holding tank lasts 4 to 5 days with 4 people.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:17   #20

Boat: St Francis 44 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewofnoka View Post
If you NEVER want to go to the pumpout, then replace your head (at least 1 of them) with a composting toilet.
Lots of info here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ets-33029.html
We were very close to doing it but when we talked to the guy at Nature's Head he didn't recommended it for a family of 4 and liveaboards, but it's perfect for 2.
At a thousand a poop for one, we just couldn't buy 2.

Woops- THAT was a mistake - I meant at $1000 a POP for one composting head......
crewofnoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:25   #21

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

If you read crusing cat blogs cruising the wide spaces of the Pacific many are carrying extra jerry cans of fuel and beholden to chasing fuel.

Many of the ex charter boats and production cats have inadequate fuel for long distance crusing and would best prepared by installing addittional fuel tankage.

Perhaps OK in Carrabiean but not the Pacific.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 15:29   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Welcome to CF!

Our boat, a St Francis 44:

Fuel: 2 X 53 gallons (each engine burns .67 gph @ 2800 rpm; this equates to around 6.5 knots on 1 engine, assuming reasonably flat water and little wind, so theoretical range under power is about 1000 nm's, running 1 engine) We always carry 2 - 6 gallon emergency jerry cans, though.

Water: 2 X 50 gallon tanks (with Spectra 16 gph watermaker); with 2 on board and running "normal" daily use, that lasts us about 5 days without trying to conserve. Of course, with a watermaker, one just becomes less conservative -- we really don't worry about it. We know that if we had to, we could get by on considerably less, but that would mean fewer showers. We both like to go to bed clean, though.

Holding tanks: 2 X 45 gallon tanks; with just us two on board, we tend to just use one toilet and the 45 gallon tank is good for about a week. If we had to do so, we could switch to the other toilet and go for 2 weeks, but we've never had to do it.

There's no doubt in mind that if you're in no discharge waters, the small size of many holding tanks is a limiting factor. If you can choose, don't skimp on the holding tank!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote