Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53   #61

Boat: too many
Re: Takacat Catamaran Dinghy

Thanks for the update on good service. Do you ever plan on Torqeedo propulsion in the future?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13   #62

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

tamicatana,

Can you comment on the Takacat's dryness when motoring into weather/waves. The bow is quite different from other inflatables and I was wondering how they compare. Thanks.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:38   #63

deckofficer: probably not, haven't even thought about the Torqueedo, but no reason why it wouldn't be fine pushing the boat

Panope: we really haven't been in particularly rough weather with the Taka, but so far haven't seen any difference between it and a 'conventional' inflatable. If you think the bows will 'scoop' water, I think it unlikely since there's enough, shall I say, rocker? to keep the deck above the waves
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:33   #64

Boat: Catalina 470
l have the 260 sport hypalon. I've used it in quite a chop and found it very dry. All in all a very good fast tender. Happy with purchase and found Greg good to deal with.
Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:25   #65

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Regarding the takacat lite... does it come with davit lift rings?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:27   #66

There are eyebolts for the transom and floor-to-hull connector D-rings. I made bridles that connect athwartships, with rings in the center of the bridles, that I clip my davit carabiners to.
Old 14-01-2014, 22:13   #67

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

This CL ad had me go back to find this thread. Look at that free board on a plane! I now understand why someone said it skims over the water in 2' chop. I don't need a 70hp for 65 mph and a 12K price tag. A 15hp and 25mph at a few thousand dollars will be just fine.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 23:30   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Looks more like a Thundercat than a Takacat. Different concept

Ceasar Inflatable Boats, US - 13' Thundercat RACING Photos
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 23:43   #69

Boy are you in for a bummer if you believe that.
The basic Westmarine dingy I got(out of last minute desperation before heading south) to replace the takacat….once I finally got them to take it back that is….is better than the taka in a 2' steep chop, and its transom leaves no doubt that it will hold up.
Don't get me wrong…the West dingy has tons of room for improvement.
But if you really want to run 15hp on open saltwater in the wind and waves, and to easily set up for davit hoisting, and to have a company to go back at if something does fail(read:has a store in your area)…..well, figure it out.

I still think the Taka was great with a small torquedo motor.
kalewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 05:00   #70

Although the Taka is not local, when mine developed a leak, they contacted a local repair shop and arranged repair. I call that pretty decent service
Old 18-11-2014, 21:28   #71

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

The thread is a bit old but I thought I would jump in and make a comment about expectations of a Torqeedo electric on a tender. I've investigated this a bit and it seems that folks expect the electric to plane a boat like the Takacat or RIB as well as a petrol outboard would do, but I think this is incorrect.

The electric will push the boat stronger, but not as fast ie up on the plane, compared to a petrol (gasoline) outboard. Why? Because the petrol spins a smaller diameter prop very fast & the electric spins a larger prop slower, but with much more torque & "push". So when you load the dingy up with 4 people and a heavy load, the Torqeedo won't slow down much, but the outboard will.

If you run the Torqeedo at max power trying to go as fast as possible, you will drain your battery MUCH faster and not get as much range compared to backing off on the power.

However Torqeedo do have props designed for more speed as Deckofficer has said, and I would love to find out if the Cruise 2 or 4 would actually plane a light, easily planing hull like the Takacat. That would be a super solution.

The Torqeedo Traveller 1003 model with integrated battery is a perfect tender motor but it's prop has a maximum speed potential of 5.5 knots. If your tender hull shape will plane at 5.5 knots, then all is good, but if not then it won't. But it will push you into a howling wind without slowing down much at all.

Hope that helps
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 21:44   #72

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
The thread is a bit old but I thought I would jump in and make a comment about expectations of a Torqeedo electric on a tender. I've investigated this a bit and it seems that folks expect the electric to plane a boat like the Takacat or RIB as well as a petrol outboard would do, but I think this is incorrect.

The electric will push the boat stronger, but not as fast ie up on the plane, compared to a petrol (gasoline) outboard. Why? Because the petrol spins a smaller diameter prop very fast & the electric spins a larger prop slower, but with much more torque & "push". So when you load the dingy up with 4 people and a heavy load, the Torqeedo won't slow down much, but the outboard will.

If you run the Torqeedo at max power trying to go as fast as possible, you will drain your battery MUCH faster and not get as much range compared to backing off on the power.

However Torqeedo do have props designed for more speed as Deckofficer has said, and I would love to find out if the Cruise 2 or 4 would actually plane a light, easily planing hull like the Takacat. That would be a super solution.

The Torqeedo Traveller 1003 model with integrated battery is a perfect tender motor but it's prop has a maximum speed potential of 5.5 knots. If your tender hull shape will plane at 5.5 knots, then all is good, but if not then it won't. But it will push you into a howling wind without slowing down much at all.

Hope that helps
I'm also hoping that someone comes along that has used the V30 prop on a Torqeedo 4.0 on their dinghy. The V30 has a pitch that should be good for 18 mph, plenty fast to plane a dink.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 21:58   #73

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Yes please! Me too, can't wait to hear from anybody who has tried it. It would be great to have the speed when needed, like getting back to boat with a thunderstorm approaching.

We are hoping to setup a Torqeedo dinghy with a bimini top that has the semi rigid solar panels so we can get to a dive site & the battery will be recharging as we do whatever we do. The whole top of the bimini could be several of the PV panels, and then removable so they could go back on the cat and stored under bunk mattress.

Deckofficer, why have you chosen the Cruise 4, is it to serve double duty? As a motor for tender and your yacht?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 06:07   #74

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

A bit off topic, but this is going to be my new tender for Cat2Fold.
Top speed of 4 knots with Minnkota 55.
Yes, it'll probably be a little wet, but in the world of boat compromises, this thing should cover most of my needs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1416405771.193599.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	91955Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1416405807.146769.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	91956Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1416405983.288634.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	91957

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 06:31   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I reckon it'll be nice and dry as in a stiff breeze you'll be slowing going backwards at full power so won't be taking any spray over the bows.

Tags
catamaran, catamaran dinghy, dinghy, paracelle