Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 22:15   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Sydney Boat Show 2015

Arrived at the Sydney Boat Show Friday morning, after having the mandatory eggs and bacon breakfast at one of the many coffee shops surrounding Darling Harbour off we went, on entering the show there was the usual varied mono hulls mixed in with all sorts of floating maritime stuff including trillion dollar cruisers. We spent a short time at the pavilion via a short ferry trip to Glebe Island, all very interesting however I was really only interested in cats so I headed for the newest models which were the Bali 4.3 by Catana, and the Leopard 40. The Bali 4.3 would not suit me however it was a most interesting new design it had the Lagoon style upper level steering station with a small fabric sun cover, no trampoline, and had the Seawind type saloon door / wall which winds up to the roof, we asked for a demo of it being lowered but it had a gremlin and wouldn’t go down, however whilst it was up it opened the whole of the saloon galley area into one living area from the front window (which was retractable) to the rear steps, the fridge looked to be a large normal domestic type straight out of Harvey Norman bulk store standing against the wall, I can’t say it was ugly just something one is not used to seeing in a catamaran, how it performs as a sailing craft I have no idea. The Leopard folk were well represented with a 40, a 44 and a 48, the latter two I was familiar with, the 40 as a first look I thought was most impressive well designed, the sink and galley hard up against a large flat front picture window, with soft seating behind, then a sliding door to a very spacious well designed outside seating area with stairs to the steering station. The Leopard trademark front door to the left opening to the tramp, no specific external seating but I think the front door arrangement worked well on the 40 without the outside front seats, provides useful access to the jib, without that large trough that is the front outside seating area and may hold a large amount of water on a bad day. The 40 also had a very large useful lazerrete to the right of the stairs exiting the front, biggest storage area I have seen, great for a couple of bicycles etc. the hard cover over the bimini is well done with a well laid out panel, one thing worth mentioning was a fuel pump transfer switch on the bottom right hand side of the panel I haven’t noticed this feature on any other craft, I have often wondered why as I think it’s very useful item to have in the event of a engine failure one can easily transfer all the dead engine’s fuel over to the live engine at a press of a button My only criticism is the owners bedroom is a bit tight when walking between the shower and the bed, and the cupboard and draws I found quite difficult to open they had a cutaway on the edge which you use your fingers to drag the draw / cupboard open. Fontaine Pajot had a three year old Helia 44 on display, the Helia 44 is having an evolution upgrade, modifications include front window moulding size reduced to allow more light in and a better view out, plus cosmetic changes. They also had a miniature model of their just released new 40, it looks quite smart. Lagoon had a new L39 and L420 on display, they also have the ‘new’ 45 Sports Top (not on display), and a new model which I am sworn to secrecy on, must say it would likely hit the sweet spot for me should I choose to change out of my L400. I have looked long and hard at the 45 to 50 foot craft wondering how it would be to own one, the Leopard 48 is a attractive craft in that size range as will be the L450 ST but as Monty quite correctly pointed out there is a huge amount of real estate to clean apart from any other issues, it’s bad enough cleaning L400, maybe just a bit bigger might be just right, that top secret new Lagoon might be just the ticket. I have attached a few photo’s I took at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bali front.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	106565   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	106566  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bali.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	106567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard 40.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	106568  

peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 23:35   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Sydney Boat Show 2015

Peterp. What did you think of the boat show overall I was there last Monday Tuesday before it had officially opened but didn't think much of it overall even walking around on the floating pontoons was a task in itself with all the ferry wash and boat traffic wash it has a long way to go to match those of the overseas shows in UK / Germany and Turkey
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:34   #3

We arrived late Thursday so we had a early start to the show Friday morning, I really thought it was all good, I have to say I had no problem getting around and we really enjoyed the show, best place to do one's research with Yanmar Marine and Raymarine which I wanted to do, other than checking out Catamaran's.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:42   #4

Boat: C&C 34
Sydney Boat Show 2015

We (No 2 daughter and I,) went on Friday and Saturday. Spent Friday in the expo hall looking at the various toys. I was pleasantly surprised I didn't find anything I really "had" to buy although I spent a happy fe minutes reminiscing about old times sailing my Hobie in HKG whilst admiring the new Hobie Cat offerings.

We enjoyed the Cruising Helmsman hour on the stage which, whilst being very cramped due to the time limitations was very interesting. We also spent about an hour pondering and researching the RYA Yachtmaster quiz. (No googling just for fun.)

Saturday morning we were lucky to be invited to the WCC breakfast presentation. A very interesting couple of hours chatting to various others with similar dreams and more or less experience, and a very informative presentation about the ARC's, World ARC etc. Some interesting stats in boats that participate in the ARC at the end!

After this we spent the rest of Saturday moseying around the marina looking at (mainly) the mono hulls as that's where the heart lies. The usual mix of production boats was supplemented by three stand outs, an Amel 555 which was (apparently) just going on the market, a nice Moody 54DS - but I don't get the hard Bimini which ends at (my) eye line about 3 inches in front of my face when standing at the helm. I couldn't see over it, I couldn't see under it and my overriding impression was I would be constantly banging my face on it. Other than that it looked a very nice comfortable yacht. Third was a nice Australian built Bluewater which was a more traditional style of yacht, beautiful interior, lots of strong rigging, high lifelines etc., very proud owner!

Of the Beneteau's, Hanse's, Bavaria's, Jeanneau's, Dufore's, Elan's, Dehler's we started at the smallest of each and worked our way up the size and price range to see what the extra $'s bought.

The small open cabin in the little Beneteau's just seem odd. No privacy and shouldn't the wall between the main cabin and the forward bunk be a bulkhead? It just didn't seem right. One of them had a very sharp edge to a cupboard in the forward cabin which seemed very out of place and quite hazardous.

The Hanse's are all nice and clean with the light interiors, the Elan's, Dehler's and Dufore's all seem to have a lot of white hull (might have been the sun reflecting) all over and the rest are much the same. The interiors are nice and clean and tidy. One point we made continually on all these yachts was the low height of the lifelines. I'm used to finding them at the end of my arm on my little C & C and on all these yachts I had to bend lower which seems a safety issue.

Of all the production boats the ones we liked the best were the Jeanneau's , particularly the 42DS and the Azuree 46.

All in all it just reinforced my thoughts that $X squillion spent on a new boat might well be better spent on an older boat.

After that it was a quick trip around the various big, bigger, biggest motor types boats, (and some so big the minders looked at us, shook their heads sadly and just said "No - you can't come on board.") all very interesting but I just don't get it. We also did look at some of the catamaran and again, I just don't get it. Each to his own I suppose.

Everyone we met on the way round was very friendly and hefpful. It's a great atmosphere, a good show and a great excuse to down tools at last minute and run away to Sydney for a weekend.

Why am I boring you with all this? Just reminiscing and nobody at home is remotely interested in my boat show prattling!

Back to work tomorrow for a rest.

p

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:17   #5
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Well written Mandurah a good read 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 06-08-2015, 15:52   #6

Boat: Catalina 350

Thanks for the comments on the show. My first for Sydney and we visited Thursday and Friday. To my mind I like Sanctuary Cove Boat Show better. It could be that everything - boats and supporting items - are all at the one location or it could be the weather - May is better than August for a boat show! On the water next to the Darling Harbour restaurants is great however.

We looked primarily at cats in the 40 ft range. The Bali 4.3 has to many steps up and down inside and out and I am not a fan of the central high set fly bridge helm, nor the no tramp situation. The opening door concept is great however. The Nautitech/Bavaria Open 40 is a great boat, well finished and a great performer. However, I need to be 10 or more years younger to go for this with halyard winches at the mast etc. I liked the Leopard 40' - nicely finished, spacious, and the the forward cockpit is smaller than on bigger Leopards which I think negates some of the negativity for this. Overall, we preferred the FP New 40 despite no full size version to review - dug deep in our pockets and ordered the first ( for Australia) 3 cabin owner version, delivery next year. Looking forward to it.

Speeding Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 16:12   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

thanks for the reviews and congrats on the new boat ST
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 17:39   #8

Boat: C&C 34

Speeding Ticket- congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!

Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 20:55   #9
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Congratulations Speeding Ticket 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 07-08-2015, 06:02   #10

[QUOTE=Speeding Ticket;1885100]Thanks for the comments on the show. My first for Sydney and we visited Thursday and Friday. To my mind I like Sanctuary Cove Boat Show better. It could be that everything - boats and supporting items - are all at the one location or it could be the weather - May is better than August for a boat show! On the water next to the Darling Harbour restaurants is great however.

We looked primarily at cats in the 40 ft range. The Bali 4.3 has to many steps up and down inside and out and I am not a fan of the central high set fly bridge helm, nor the no tramp situation. The opening door concept is great however. The Nautitech/Bavaria Open 40 is a great boat, well finished and a great performer. However, I need to be 10 or more years younger to go for this with halyard winches at the mast etc. I liked the Leopard 40' - nicely finished, spacious, and the the forward cockpit is smaller than on bigger Leopards which I think negates some of the negativity for this. Overall, we preferred the FP New 40 despite no full size version to review - dug deep in our pockets and ordered the first ( for Australia) 3 cabin owner version, delivery next year. Looking forward to it.

Congratulations Speeding Ticket on your purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
I note you have Catalina 350 could I ask what was your motivation in buying a cat, good choice in my view but I am biased.
Regards Peter
Old 07-08-2015, 06:24   #11

Boat: Catalina 350

Hi Peter,
thanks for your comments.
it's cats everywhere the further you go north in Australia! For us it was space, stability, comfort, speed and easier to keep your balance, an issue the older you get. i.e. a compromise, the normal decision for any boat!!!
Speeding Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:40   #12

Tell me about it! I'm 74 luckily still fit and enjoying the cat for the very same reasons. If you have an occasion to sail down south to miserable freezing cold Melbourne do call in to our Martha Cove Marina and say hello.
Regards Peter

Tags
boat show, sydney