Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 11:13   #106

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Isn't Riley on these forums?

I remember one of the episodes he talks about not knowing anything about sailing and researching via forums. I thought this one was mentioned.
Indeed, his/their username is "gypsyvagabond".
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:16   #107

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Perhaps I am misinterpreting some of the posts here, but it is beyond me on how these two kids can be criticized for anything at all. Outremer made the decision to offer them a catamaran. What were they to do, turn it down?

We will continue to watch and continue to support them. Looking forward to new episodes on the Cat.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:18   #108
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

In a world where class envy and 1%-bashing is a sport, it's easy to see how people would dump on a little good old capitalistic success story. But contrary to some, yes they DID build that! How many threads here are about how to fund "The Dream" and then a good looking couple figured out a way and boom...they somehow sold out...ha ha ha. As if cruising on a shoestring is more pure and clean than cruising with money. We had just as much fun cruising on our 36ft Pearson Ketch with a family of 4, as our friend's that cruised on Cats that may have had twice to three times our monthly budget, or no real budget at all. It's not about the boat...and having gone from a 36ft to 50ft...it didn't make cruising bettor or worse.

Now it's true their "relatability quotient" may go down for some, but it could introduce many more to the cruising lifestyle and open up their eyes to a world they didn't know existed. I laugh a bit when I see all the "tiny house rage"...hello...try a family of 4 on Pearson 365 or even my Hudson Force 50. You only know about the world you are exposed to and it's a brave new world folks....embrace it or go the way of Blockbuster Video.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:32   #109
cruiser

We love watching the sailing vagabonds, been watching since their second episode of excellent videos.

It sure beats watching folks like the elderly couple on their thirty foot, fifty year old piece of poo who anchored next to us in Split, Croatia walk around wearing only their adult diapers.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:44   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It sure beats watching folks like the elderly couple on their thirty foot, fifty year old piece of poo who anchored next to us in Split, Croatia walk around wearing only their adult diapers.
Aww.. did Abranovich think that of you next to him and move his Yacht..
How you suffer you poor luvvie..
Should this old fart sail his 39ft floating turd over and really piss you off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:44   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Quote from an earlier post; ".......since we all know 50 knots and all catamarans suddenly spontaneously pitch pole."

Well.... that statement is certainly well founded.
We all also know that Santa Clause recently chaired a convention in Disney World which was attended by other luminaries that included the Easter Bunny, Batman, the Jolly Green Giant, the Tokoloshe (the real one) and the Bogey Man to ensure that all fairy tales are immediately re-catogorised as 'facts' known by all people.
I know all this is totaly true as I read it, some where, I think, or maybe it was just a dream?
Anyway, lets not ruin a good story with facts.
Who needs real knowledge or experience to know this?
I think you missed the sarcasm - I was preempting the absurd anti-cat comments.
Old 21-09-2016, 11:45   #112

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We love watching the sailing vagabonds, been watching since their second episode of excellent videos.

I suspect that there is an audience for that type of content as well.....
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:48   #113

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

It is a large world. Place for the 500$ thread drifter, place for the disappearing middle class cruiser and place for the new generation selling their young, tanned and actually attractive bodies to pay for their no doubt adventurous lifestyle.

Power to the "young". May they show us things we have not seen yet!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:29   #114

To be honest I dont find them very inspiring.

And that doesnt mean I'm envious in any way.

I do like the way they opened up the mind of many people that there are alternative ways of financing your cruising however there are other channels that make it look like much more attainable like White Spot Pirates for example.

She's solo and she's doing all the mechanic, rigging all by herself I find this really inspiring.

The most important is to be on the water anyway
Fai Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:33   #115
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
I can see why you'd think this...realm of attainable?

Riley was a welder on an oil rig, and Elayna worked odd jobs and played music for a travel company when they met.
I think Elayna was working in a bar when they first met.
Anyway, it doesnt matter. What matters is they are putting a lot of effort into their videos. I don't think too many on this forum know how long it takes to edit one... but its not easy. I used to cut 30 seconds per hour and that was with a professional editor pushing the buttons.

And some on this thread are chucking will etpunious numbers are kind like $6,000 per month.
If you think that's good money for full time work chop it in half because there's 2 of them and you may get a sense of reality when.put up against a miner in the outback ... less tax ..
Etc
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:44   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think Elayna was working in a bar when they first met.
Anyway, it doesnt matter. What matters is they are putting a lot of effort into their videos. I don't think too many on this forum know how long it takes to edit one... but its not easy. I used to cut 30 seconds per hour and that was with a professional editor pushing the buttons.

And some on this thread are chucking will etpunious numbers are kind like $6,000 per month.
If you think that's good money for full time work chop it in half because there's 2 of them and you may get a sense of reality when.put up against a miner in the outback ... less tax ..
Etc
I'm with you on this. The two of them work their butts off on their travel vlog and deserve every hard-earned penny; most can't comprehend the amount of repetitive work and long hours that go into shooting the video and the days it must take to edit a 13 minute quality show unless they've worked in the business.

More power to them.

Regarding the Outremer.... I found myself looking up the boat they're getting, so apparently the marketing plan is working. But I also looked into a 70ft Oyster ;-)
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:15   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
To be fair, CruisingCat, the poster did have a point. Cats do make good party boats and can also park in skinny water!
What they 'forgot' to mention are the numerous other attributes, but that is hard to do unless you have actual experience rather than just readings.
Like your thought process, though.
It is sometimes amusing the level of ignorance often displayed about cats. I usually wonder about the real level of experience of these cat detractors. The majority of my half-a-boat friends will jest about a how a cat does this or that but its not meant to be taken seriously as most of them would swop over to a cat at the drop of a hat (admitedly a couple of them wouldn't).
The anti-cat brigade comments that are really negative are usually by individuals who actual knowledge comes from reading and perhaps a few minutes aboard a boat at a boat show; thereafter they are self perceived experts.
I still love mono-hulls as well - its just that cats fit my needs best.
Yeah, some ignorant bigots will never change...

Some do though. I recently met an ex cat hater who's mono sank in the Great Australian Bight, leaving him with nothing but a lifejacket and EPIRB.

He built himself a cat...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 16:22   #118

[QUOTE=Fai Tira;2218196]
I do like the way they opened up the mind of many people that there are alternative ways of financing your cruising however there are other channels that make it look like much more attainable like White Spot Pirates for example.
She's solo and she's doing all the mechanic, rigging all by herself I find this really inspiring./QUOTE]

White Spot Pirates looks like she is having a nice time NOW. But she went through HELL to get there. Do you remember the crying video where she talked about quitting ?
White Spot Pirates was Inane Drudgery for a long time, Then she took to the ocean with a boat that seemed like it may sink at any time. (Not fun to me)

Sailing UMA, He seems to do 98% of the work & put his heart into that tiny boat. Kika is pure eye candy. I wish them the best also

Geez, Next time I drive cross country maybe I should get a wagon mule or take my BMW ?
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:38   #119

Boat: Don't yet have a boat

My take when I first saw that they were trading up from La Vaga to a $M Cat was why? Why would you. Afterall, La Vaga is a fine boat, its taken them all around the Med, across the Atlantic, down to South America and across the Pacific. If it were me (which of course its not), i am sure I would be really happy with La Vaga.

But then again, if that was the only criteria, one of course could ask why did I recently sell my Alfa Romeo to buy a BMW (2nd hand not new). My simple point being that sometimes a change can be good. Am I envious of what they have, will have (no), am I envious of their lifestyle (well yes somewhat) but then again that is futile. For we all make our choices and have to live with them.

As an Aussie, I am proud of what they do, I like their enthusiasm and zeal for life, to take on challenges (I am sure crossing the Atlantic and Pacific is no mean feat) with courage and a sense of adventure. Good luck to them. I enjoy their videos and can well understand that it takes a lot of time to put them together really well. They are clever in marketing themselves, and again good on them. In a sense it is their job, they are promoting a lifestyle, and we benefit in many ways from seeing and learning about the places where they have travelled to.

Just because they are changing boats doesn't mean I won't continue to follow them. I have from the beginning. I like that there are all these people out there cruising, taking chances, living life to the full, whether it is the guys and girls on SV Delos, La Vaga, to Jaimie, Liz and Millie the cat on Esper (Follow the Boat), Sailing Nervous, Sail Life (Mads) to Annie Dike and her partner Phil on Have Wind will Sail.

All of these and so many more act as inspiration to change one's life for a more simple but more rewarding life. And no, I am also not in my 30s-40s but in fact my late 50s. I retired early from work, earlier this year, in part due to the inspiration I received from Annie Dike's books on her journey into sailing and cruising.

I don't yet have a boat, I do sail and am at the stage of learning as much as I can from others on their boats etc. The one thing I do know is that I very much want my own boat. The key limiting factors include the lack of funds to buy what I really want, and so will have to settle initially for something less, a partner who isn't really interested in going sailing (especially cruising), and the lack of choice of boat where I live. If it were possible, I would head across and up to northern NSW and grab that late '70s, S&S 39 which is for sale for a very reasonable price, but sadly this is unlikely to be possible.

So it is easy to say things like Elyana and Riley have sold out, that they are living the rich life in getting such an expensive boat for free, or a relatively small cost. But in truth, only they and the suppliers really know what the arrangement is. I wish them well, fair winds and following seas.
DavidM1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 18:39   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yeah, some ignorant bigots will never change...

Some do though. I recently met an ex cat hater who's mono sank in the Great Australian Bight, leaving him with nothing but a lifejacket and EPIRB.

He built himself a cat...
Having an opinion and a preference does not make one a bigot, I must have really got at you. I have many friends with Cats and we alway have a laugh and fun sticking it to each other with our preferences but never get nasty towards one another and name calling, its just not yachtie like.

A long time sailing friend lived next door to John Glennie who spent a couple of months on his multi off of New Zealand not pleasantly though living on the bottom of the boat, change of opinion may be on multi's dealing with MPS waves he stated when asked.

Capsized Atlantic 57 and Rescue by the M/V Forum Pacfic August 2010

Keep on Sailing
"upside down maybe"
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote