Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 17:09   #76

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Can't really say I would enjoy sailing on a pirate look alike sailboat, but I do enjoy sailing past them on our catamaran:-).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Apart from 90% of cats being "I saws" I was interested in buying one 15 years ago until I went for the test sail and that immediately flopped the deal, but latter I owned a 33ft racing tri lots of fun passing everything, sailing under boats that where bring to wrap you up. Plus hardly ever had any loaded up cruising cats pass my old 43ft 7ft draft S&S cruising the Queensland coast because you are sailing either straight into it or against it.
(don't know about the latter models though) And the most fun I had sailing was on my first boat a "H 28" but young and fool hardy.

Cats are good party boats though with the ability of anchoring in close.

But each to there own, and it will not stop me watching La Vaga even if they are on an "I saw raft" a luxury one at that.

Cheers
Keep On Sailing.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 17:45   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Still, IT IS a bit unfair to act in two reality shows at once.

The other one got them a deal on a fully loaded Jeep.

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 18:20   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Cats are good party boats though with the ability of anchoring in close.
Whereas mono's make good dive sites.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:52   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Whereas mono's make good dive sites.
Serious about not using my mast as a keel.
Old 20-09-2016, 20:13   #80

A short story.There is a small 12 seat restaurant here in town that caters to ethnic Vietnamese. The place was run by a Vietnamese family and the food, mainly Pho, was very homemade, so the local Viet population went there to eat regularly after a long day at work. It saved the cost and time of cooking at home where some Vietnamese dishes can be costly and time consuming. Quite often my Viet friends would bring along an American friend to try this dish or that and they in turn invited their American friends to sample that fare. A few years went by and the restaurant flourished. The original owners were offered a good deal of money, so they sold the little restaurant to a non Vietnamese couple and they retired back to the old country. The new owners saw the writing on the wall, started thinning down the signature soup, adding more meatballs and less vegetables, the nuoc mam fish sauce that had been so flavorful was turned to a shadow of its former self, the strong coffee, ca phe sua da was watered down and served in smaller cups, and of course, the prices went up to fit the new boutique status...all for the 'new' customer base of Americans. No ethnic Vietnamese eat there anymore. There is another older place hidden over on the other side of town where we see all our friends, the pho comes in a washtub and the durian smoothies are thick and smelly.... yum Heres rooting for SV La Vagabonde, they have done well so far.
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:13   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I have a couple of comments, relevant? Well, to me they are.

Friends of ours, Jeremiah and Brittany of The Lazy Geckos, cleared up a misconception about Patreon. When someone signs up, as we did, you specify how many videos you want to donate to a month. In our case it is $10 ONE video a month. When you look at La Vaga they are grossing $7K, bringing in $6K for the 1st video of the month, NOT every video a month. Sure, most give more than we do but a whole bunch do twice a month, as relayed to us by our friends. So in reality they make $6K on video one, maybe $3 or $4K on video two and if there is a 3rd or 4th that month they may make zero more. Or they may make $1 or $2K more, only they know!

Chump change? Hardly! But the reality is they may make $120K a year and not $300K a year. Would I take it? Heck yes!

I also know from watching The Lazy Geckos work on their videos this Patreon thing is a full time job! You can work your as- off!

Secondly, this could be a win-win for Outreamer and La Vaga. Outreamer is getting in at the forefront of new world marketing as pointed out by LeftBrain. La Vaga could be a big winner because by entering their third year it is possible they could have started getting stale. Now they have a whole new concept to master and could be a third year "Kick in the pants" to boost their content.

As for the mono purists and those who think they have sold out, we will see. If they begin making comparisons and wether or not all comparisons are "Pro" cat, only then will we know. I personally have the faith they will stay true to being who they are and when they get seasick from doing the hobby-horse across the Pacific, they will say so.

When they are sitting at anchor and enjoying the room and amenities, I believe they will say so about that aspect as well.

All in all I am happy for them, they worked their butts off to get their first boat. Not rich kids with the silver spoon. And I know they have worked their butts off to get this second boat. I, for one, am looking forward to how their channel will evolve.

All comments were positive and Love all of you, Cheers!
So your saying they don't make 24,000$ a month?
Still, 6,000$ a month is pretty good.
I told my wife about this, and told her we need to practice. I turned on the video
camera and she put her hand in front of her face and told me to go away.
Ive got some work to do before Im ready for prime time.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:22   #82

I do enjoy how the showed how they got through adversities when things break down on the boat. I'm afraid the they may have contracted to never show any problem the boat develops if there's a sponsorship involved. We all know **** happens and we all want to see how its handled. You can only watch so much free diving and spear fishing. I hope they don't change the venue. I say more power to them because it was a lot of hard work to get where they did. If you can live out your dream then Fantastic !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:27   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
It's interesting to me how some people choose to fund someone else's rich and care free lifestyle.
I can't understand that part either, especially when you can still watch the videos without paying.

I prefer, and do, give small amounts to those out there that have just a few viewers. maybe not as polished but you get 'real-to-life', not the scripted story this has become.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:40   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
You can only watch so much free diving and spear fishing.
Oh depending who it is I could watch an awful lot
billb596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:44   #85

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
So your saying they don't make 24,000$ a month?
Still, 6,000$ a month is pretty good.
I told my wife about this, and told her we need to practice. I turned on the video
camera and she put her hand in front of her face and told me to go away.
Ive got some work to do before Im ready for prime time.
The mono purists think the whole world sold them out when the Americas Cup started to race real multihulls a few years back ,

jut saying I don't even understand the mono vs cat debate , it's hardly a debate.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 21:28   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
I can't understand that part either, especially when you can still watch the videos without paying.

I prefer, and do, give small amounts to those out there that have just a few viewers. maybe not as polished but you get 'real-to-life', not the scripted story this has become.
I don't see what's so hard to understand. You said yourself that you donate money to producers of content that you enjoy. That's exactly what people are doing with SLV.

It's voluntary payment for entertainment. Not charity. Just because they're successful doesn't mean they are less deserving of contributions...

Just my opinion though.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 21:33   #87

honestly you could tell something was up when they landed in Polynesia, not only was Australia approaching (the end o the journey?) I figured they had been offered some kind of tv deal. thank the gods its not that, So really as someone else said,it's a great chance for a restart for them, and for lv in general.
hell i'd love a nice cat to cruise in but the budget really won't work, if i want to sail anytime soon, so I'll be happy for em.
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 22:24   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Serious about not using my mast as a keel.
No, the mast makes a good mooring to tie the dinghy to when you're diving.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 23:43   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
No, the mast makes a good mooring to tie the dinghy to when you're diving.
There is a boat in the yard were we haul out, who sailing single handed run into a reef in the Tuamotu's at 6-7kts and had to be pulled off, with out any repairs made to the 6mm steel plate he has sailed back to Australia with no leaks, my boat is the same design and same size plating, with no lazarette or cockpit lockers, 6" bronze ports and 1 3/8" solid hatches with super sized over done lock downs and they do not leak my fist boat of four boats that is completely dry other than the smallest weep at the fore mast.

If we were both sailing together in higher latitudes than the last 50' cat that flipped off of New Zealand I would probably have no masts for the dingy to tether too, and would have to go to a jury rig but the Lagoon would have grown a large keel.

Sorry I'll stick with me slug at least for my kids sake, they feel safe with her and were terrified with my light weight Tri, which was far more dangerous than a Lagoon though. They also like me think the junk rig is for us when we were hit with a 45kt squall here is BrisVegas a month ago running down wind, just let the halyard down to take out 4 panels and reset the sheetlets in 30 seconds while the boats that had slowly past us all wrapped up with flogging sails, we zipped past them and watched them come into port from our mooring most of them on the headsails only. (I must admit this rarely happens).

Each to their own.
Keep on Sailing.
Old 21-09-2016, 01:41   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Ah-ha, someting we are in agreement on!! Well written Walkabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Agree. I heard the other day a Kardashian is living rent free in a $25 million Manhattan apartment as part of the advertising and promotion budget of Airbnb.

Don't forget, if Outrider expense this as an advertising and promotion cost they may be getting huge tax breaks out of this.

It's happening all over the web. People that are seen as "agents of influence" are being used for strategic marketing pushes.

I expect the .0001% bashers will come out of the wood work to knock the promotional deal. Who cares. Just sour grapes by jealous people who are p.... o.. that they didn't land such a sweet deal.

If I was the Vagabond couple I would be approaching Vegemite and offering a spinnaker add while using also using vegemite in product placement shots of breakfast. I would also invite a Kardashian or some other such celeb to go cruising which will boost their own net eyeballs incredibly. Sorry, I can't help myself. Marketing is one of my gigs.

Good luck to the Ozie couple. Fair winds and happy sailing along with much success to Outrider.

I'm laughing as I see all the mono heads exploding.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote