Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 10:01   #46

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The average or even the above average 30-40 crowd don't have the money, but there are some. They only need 1% of the 200,000 subscribers to have sufficient wealth to afford an Outremer and 1% of that 1% are who are looking for a cat in that price range to give Outremer 20 genuine potential customers.

Depending on the deal they made with La Vaga, maybe they only need a couple of those 20 to turn into sales each year to pay for the marketing.

I would presume that Outremer will use La Vaga on their own website as a way to show customers who have never heard of La Vaga and never use Youtube how an Outremer can be used in real world cruising situations.

This will probably be more important to Outremer than any potential subscriber sales.
Agree. I heard the other day a Kardashian is living rent free in a $25 million Manhattan apartment as part of the advertising and promotion budget of Airbnb.

Don't forget, if Outrider expense this as an advertising and promotion cost they may be getting huge tax breaks out of this.

It's happening all over the web. People that are seen as "agents of influence" are being used for strategic marketing pushes.

I expect the .0001% bashers will come out of the wood work to knock the promotional deal. Who cares. Just sour grapes by jealous people who are p.... o.. that they didn't land such a sweet deal.

If I was the Vagabond couple I would be approaching Vegemite and offering a spinnaker add while using also using vegemite in product placement shots of breakfast. I would also invite a Kardashian or some other such celeb to go cruising which will boost their own net eyeballs incredibly. Sorry, I can't help myself. Marketing is one of my gigs.

Good luck to the Ozie couple. Fair winds and happy sailing along with much success to Outrider.

I'm laughing as I see all the mono heads exploding.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:02   #47

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Eriksson View Post
Why do people pay for Netflix subscriptions?
Why do people pay for movie tickets?

It's a form of entertainment like any other, but it's unique in that you don't have to pay to watch a youtube video like you have to pay to see a movie or a TV series. Some people choose to pay anyway since it probably takes a lot of time to film and edit these things.

Since you dislike them you don't have to. It's the beauty of a free market and free choice
Well said

Consumer driven content is where this is all headed, Most don't even watch TV
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:08   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Consumer driven content is where this is all headed, Most don't even watch TV
TV...what is that....
My kids have never seen one and get all their entertainment from online streaming. Like most kids these days...they are teaching the Old Man about all the fun stuff online all the time.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:26   #49

I'm happy for them. I have to say that editing and rendering video and then uploading to youtube takes a lot of time. Add to that the filming time and they aren't getting the boat for free. They are working hard!
sreesekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:29   #50

Boat: Hudson 50

I've been following La Vaga for about 6 months now. Good balance of beautiful scenery and how they are coping with the sailing life.
I'm glad to hear about their success . They are working hard to turn their dreams into reality . Good on them!
I'm planning to leave on my own voyages about 1 more year and these folks are a definite inspiration.
Old 20-09-2016, 10:35   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreesekelley View Post
I'm happy for them. I have to say that editing and rendering video and then uploading to youtube takes a lot of time. Add to that the filming time and they aren't getting the boat for free. They are working hard!
We should be careful about starting the rumor that they are "getting the boat for free" because no details about the "deal" they made were given in their video. I'm just always hesitant when I hear assumptions that then turn into Chat Room Rumor Facts.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:39   #52

Smart marketing!
noylddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:59   #53

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We should be careful about starting the rumor that they are "getting the boat for free" because no details about the "deal" they made were given in their video. I'm just always hesitant when I hear assumptions that then turn into Chat Room Rumor Facts.

Once again the voice of reason Rich. I can imagine a scenario where the got a deep discount and may be taking guests and potential clients from Outreemer on legs of the journey. I don't imagine Riley would go for a deal where they didn't end up with a home at the end of it. I think they bought it. More power to them and yes editing is labor intensive work but the more you do it the better and faster you get. Do you think Delos will pull their Patron support for LV?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 11:12   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I'm happy that they're happy - everyone wants different things out of cruising, and it sounds like they're getting what they wanted.

The only part that makes me sad, and I think what some others might be thinking, is I hope getting the fancy cat doesn't make their focus shift more to the entertainment and high-life variety of cruising at the expense of showing the sailing part.

An expensive boat will cost more to maintain, and it seems like when some cruisers move to more expensive boats, their expectations and lifestyle bar also gets raised - so the dialogue becomes more about their ice maker problems or fancy electronics than about sailing (which is the part that interests me more).

I hope also that viewers don't get the impression that an expensive boat is necessary for enjoying cruising / sailing. Fortunately there are still video blogs doing it very scrappily (Sailing Uma, White Spot Pirates) so it's possible to see both sides.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 11:17   #55

I think this is brilliant marketing. I happened to start following La Vagabonde a few months ago. Coincidently I also began taking interest in cats and doing research to begin marinating on the idea of owning one in the future. Narrowing it down to about 3 or 4 builders that intrigued me the most, I knew I had at least a couple years to casually follow the companies.

So I am extremely happy to see my favorite vlog cover the ins and outs of one of my top picks, to help me narrow the path towards my dreams.

And, personally, I think Elayna and Riley are charming as can be. A perfect couple to serve as international spokespeople for the company. They are young, vibrant, adventurous and sexy as hell. I think anyone, at any age, would like to feel like that while they sail their Outremer.

Cheers to them and their new partnership! Can't wait to see their new adventure begin. I for one, am going to be 5x more inclined to be a part of the Outremer family imagining twice the speed and comfort.
victorholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 11:32   #56

Congrats to them, Elayna is a star and riley seems like a good bloke (a very lucky one at that) though a raft with sails does not appeal to me at all dislike sailing on them altogether. Great for parking.

Good posts MARKJ and SV Third Day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	under sail.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	131470  
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 11:33   #57
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

This concerns me.

We are currently subscribed to LV and several others who are living the dream on a shoestring.

Reminds me when the Shards moved from "Two Step", their Classic 37.

We simply lost interest; their adventures weren't relevant to us anymore.

I hope it works out for them; they are doing a great job on their Vlog.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:11   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
WHAT..... they are moving to a Cat ????

Thats not a real sailboat.....off my viewing list now.
Too bad your prejudice is showing. Who cares what type of boat? It's about the people.

Reading through all these comments I see those hiding their jealousy by complain this will change the couple, that the videos will now be about different things.

Got news for you folks. Nothing in life is static. People change, as do their desires. Ask yourself this, if you were in their shoes and such an opportunity came along, would you pass it up? I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:15   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
This concerns me.

We are currently subscribed to LV and several others who are living the dream on a shoestring.

Reminds me when the Shards moved from "Two Step", their Classic 37.

We simply lost interest; their adventures weren't relevant to us anymore.

I hope it works out for them; they are doing a great job on their Vlog.
I'm not sure I agree that SLV has been living on a shoestring.

They recently bought a new watermaker, and what looked like a fairly comprehensive suite of new B&G Electronics. La Vagabonde is a $100k boat.

Maybe our definitions of shoestring are different. Doesn't detract from my admiration and jealousy of them though, especially now when they are moving aboard a very desirable boat indeed!
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:17   #60

Boat: Currently in between

I have a couple of comments, relevant? Well, to me they are.

Friends of ours, Jeremiah and Brittany of The Lazy Geckos, cleared up a misconception about Patreon. When someone signs up, as we did, you specify how many videos you want to donate to a month. In our case it is $10 ONE video a month. When you look at La Vaga they are grossing $7K, bringing in $6K for the 1st video of the month, NOT every video a month. Sure, most give more than we do but a whole bunch do twice a month, as relayed to us by our friends. So in reality they make $6K on video one, maybe $3 or $4K on video two and if there is a 3rd or 4th that month they may make zero more. Or they may make $1 or $2K more, only they know!

Chump change? Hardly! But the reality is they may make $120K a year and not $300K a year. Would I take it? Heck yes!

I also know from watching The Lazy Geckos work on their videos this Patreon thing is a full time job! You can work your as- off!

Secondly, this could be a win-win for Outreamer and La Vaga. Outreamer is getting in at the forefront of new world marketing as pointed out by LeftBrain. La Vaga could be a big winner because by entering their third year it is possible they could have started getting stale. Now they have a whole new concept to master and could be a third year "Kick in the pants" to boost their content.

As for the mono purists and those who think they have sold out, we will see. If they begin making comparisons and wether or not all comparisons are "Pro" cat, only then will we know. I personally have the faith they will stay true to being who they are and when they get seasick from doing the hobby-horse across the Pacific, they will say so.

When they are sitting at anchor and enjoying the room and amenities, I believe they will say so about that aspect as well.

All in all I am happy for them, they worked their butts off to get their first boat. Not rich kids with the silver spoon. And I know they have worked their butts off to get this second boat. I, for one, am looking forward to how their channel will evolve.

All comments were positive and Love all of you, Cheers!