Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 01:24   #31

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

This is a fantastic opportunity for the La Vaga couple, I'm very happy for them!

It's also sure to "expose" those who can't contain their jealousy and suddenly can't be happy for these guys just because their boat happens to be worth more. If someone has a $700k boat in your anchorage and they invite you over for beers, do you decline because their boat is "worth too much"? As long as the episodes continue being about the couple, their adventures and lives, what's the problem?

In regards to "selling out" I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Simply the fact that they have accepted a boat at a reduced (or no) price from the manufacturer doesn't make them "sellouts". If every episode goes from being about their cruising lifestyle to being nothing but a feature on the boat, then it's a different story. That said, I doubt that will happen.

Fair winds guys, no matter if your boat is worth $10,000 or $20,000,000!
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 01:56   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

"Reality" used to mean, something was "Real" and not a production for marketing purposes.

Nothing personal, but I find these vblog and reality show productions just boring after about the 3rd episode.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 02:03   #33

Boat: Hans Christian 41

We did share an anchorage with them a while back and met them briefly, they came across as very nice genuine people who are enjoying life to the max, and good on them.

What they have achieved is fantastic, it goes to show good things come to good people who follow their dreams on their own terms.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 02:25   #34

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow... not as many bitter comments as I thought.

I just need Boreal or Garcia to "like" our site

Matt
that was my first thought this morning! LOL!

lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 02:29   #35

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....

Well, great news!

I love they´re videos and I love Outremer so it´s a Win / Win situation
aqu4tro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 05:10   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440

Patreon ramble.......

This is my favorite couple to watch as they seem the most real to me and they ARE where I will be soon!! So damn awesome that they get a boat like this - they were at the right place at the right time and deserve it. And I truly believe they didn't sell out and this won't change them.... they are who they are and they haven't changed from the first video to the latest. But I see a problem coming up for them soon.

I assume Patreon is a large part of their income. As of right now they bring in $7,000 per video (which is pretty much per week - 1 video per week). I don't know what their cut is but I assume it is in the $6,000 range which equates to a nice chunk of money to cruise on. More than most of us could come up with.

Patreon is a POWERFUL tool and helps people who need funds to help reach their dreams. But when people reach their dreams or exceeded them, why would someone continue to fund their account? I personally fund Kombi Life, White Spot Pirates and others because I feel they need the money to continue their journey..... I don't want them to quit and I feel if they don't keep getting money in they will stop documenting their trip because of lack of funds! And believe me - it is hard to shoot and edit... camera equipment isn't free. And when you are working on editing videos you aren't working on your boat or random jobs to support your lifestyle.

Having said all of this - who the hell knows what La Vagabond's financial status is...??!!! As all of us know - upgrade to a cat - upgrade the bank account. And I assume they didn't just give them a million dollar boat as there would be significant taxes associated with it. So they are going to need more money to continue what they are doing - but are people willing to pay for ver 2.0? Will people feel they need their support to continue the film making aspect on a million dollar platform?
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 05:45   #37

For folks who value the illusion of "real" - RAN sailing is probably the best YouTube channel. Low budget, extremely high production value, sailor who has been to southern Atlantic/South Georgia.

Less singing. Maybe with enough followers they can get a free HR
Old 20-09-2016, 05:45   #38

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

Good on them! We enjoy their humor, joy of life and of course their lovely accents. The sailing platform isn't that important to us. Cat or mono. Mega-condo or fixer upper, 27' or 60'. Doesn't matter a bit. It is all about their personalities mixed with the cruising lifestyle that have us as loyal followers.

Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:35   #39

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Recently got into their videos after watching Guido Sailing videos on Youtube.

I always thought that riley seemed like he would prefer a cat. Though he did say, if he were to do it again he'd have got a smaller boat.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:47   #40

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

WHAT..... they are moving to a Cat ????

Thats not a real sailboat.....off my viewing list now.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:27   #41

$6000 per video after fees lets say. 50 videos a year, that's a yearly income of $300,000. Wow. So that's how they can afford a new Outremer.

It's interesting to me how some people choose to fund someone else's rich and care free lifestyle.

I doubt most of their viewers make $300,000 a year, so for many it's likely a donation to people who are much better off than themselves!

Amazing. Brilliant really.

I personally find their videos vapid and narcissistic, and can't bear to watch them, but I admire their marketing skills.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:35   #42

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
$6000 per video after fees lets say. 50 videos a year, that's a yearly income of $300,000. Wow. So that's how they can afford a new Outremer.

It's interesting to me how some people choose to fund someone else's rich and care free lifestyle.

I doubt most of their viewers make $300,000 a year, so for many it's likely a donation to people who are much better off than themselves!

Amazing. Brilliant really.

I personally find their videos vapid and narcissistic, and can't bear to watch them, but I admire their marketing skills.
I agree there are two ways to look at this. You watch their videos and find value in either the content or the entertainment and subsequently pay for it. Much like going to the movies. I am however with you on this that I struggle to fund someone else's chosen lifestyle. They do put out a good product that is well edited and at times entertaining. I suspect that a great part of their day is either filming or editing which is something I have no skill or desire to do. So is what they do and the effort they put into it worth something to you?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post

Why do people pay for Netflix subscriptions?
Why do people pay for movie tickets?

It's a form of entertainment like any other, but it's unique in that you don't have to pay to watch a youtube video like you have to pay to see a movie or a TV series. Some people choose to pay anyway since it probably takes a lot of time to film and edit these things.

Since you dislike them you don't have to. It's the beauty of a free market and free choice
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:45   #44

Yeah they really did a good job for themselves... not sure if when they started making videos they could have ever imagined making as much as they do. My wife and I watch their videos every week. We are 31 and about to start our own sailing journey, it is neat to watch their videos, but we are more inspired by the likes of Totem who have done it with families of their own (we have 3 girls). I've thought about making YouTube videos, not sure about Patreon though.

I hope it goes well for them. Hopefully they didn't lock themselves into years of payments, perhaps Outremer is "loaning" it to them?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:55   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Why does how much money they make/have or the type of boat they have matter to the quality and entertainment value of their Videos?

It doesn't...or at least it shouldn't unless people get hung up on the class envy game that's pushed these days. 1%-ers are not evil bastards and everyone with a Cat is a 1%-er...I hate to break the news to you. People liked them before you did the math and figured out their Patron income was close to $300K/yr and you liked them when they were on a more average boat, so what would that change?

But here is what I know....
People are making it sound like what they are doing is now WORK...and I'll call BS on that! It is a LOT of work and putting out a quality video once/week is MORE work than most of us did back in our real world jobs from 9-5. When we were cruising we had a few thousand blog viewers per day and made a daily blog post and it was WORK to put out something of quality.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote