Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 05:24   #166

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Dont they pick the boat up in France? I guess this means they'll probably finish their videos on the old boat near Tahiti.

Will they start again sailing the Med I wonder?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 19:24   #167

Boat: Lexcen 40

Riley did mention on his way to France the ottremer deal is to keep the boat for a year or more.
Old 06-10-2016, 21:37   #168

Are Outriders equiped with and escape hatch?
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:39   #169

Seell check "Outremer"
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:44   #170
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Are Outriders equiped with and escape hatch?
Yep, they do.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:01   #171

It is a legal requirement for CE certification which all European (EU countries) manufacturers must adhere too.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:35   #172

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Sail an Outremer in the marina in Gibraltar, and another in Lanzarote. Didn't get invited on board, but they looked very nice boats, and a bit more purposeful (sailing wise) than the Lagoons.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 06:32   #173

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM6WET View Post
It is a legal requirement for CE certification which all European (EU countries) manufacturers must adhere too.
This is slightly incorrect,

Cat that are under 40 feet do not require escape hatches to be certified CE,
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:13   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
This is slightly incorrect,

Cat that are under 40 feet do not require escape hatches to be certified CE,
Yet another example of CE stupidity. Bigger, presumably more stable boats have to have escape hatches, smaller ones don't.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:00   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yet another example of CE stupidity. Bigger, presumably more stable boats have to have escape hatches, smaller ones don't.
Not defending CE directives, but i can think of two very good reasons why that is. Larger boats could be harder to get out of if due to imbalanced flooding one hull is leaned over. The beam width may make it harder climb/swim into saloon area.

Larger boats can more easily integrate an escape hatch without signicantly compromising functionality or hull strength.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 14:07   #176

I'm happy for them, and I don't think they sold out. They did what's best for them, all of us would likely do the same, in the same situation. But I will be curious to see if they lose some fans, they had an "underdog" kinda vibe beforehand that I think gathered a lot of fans and viewers. When you're in a million dollar yacht, you're no longer the "underdog". Although, honestly, IIRC they make about $7,500 per video from patreon, which also makes them less of an underdog, regardless of what boat they're in. (I wonder if that will go down too?)

I'm curious to see how they handle the transition. I'm pretty sure they're picking up the Outremer (never knew I was pronouncing it wrong til I watched the video) in France, and I think they mentioned that the expected completion date was Feb 2017. I guess they'll basically have to start their circumnavigation over in the med? Are they planning on doing a circumnavigation in the Outremer? Or sail around the med for a year? Or be brand ambassadors for Outremer and just bounce around to boat shows? If they have an obligation to Outremer they may just put their circumnavigation on hold for a year then pick up where they left off on La Vaga. I think it'll be tough for them, going back to La Vaga after spending a year on the Outremer.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 14:16   #177

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Will be interesting for sure.

I can't seem the point in them going back to all the same places. None will be as good as remembered and probably not as much fun without the excitement of visiting for the first time.

Personally after a circumnavigation I'd want to maybe head down to Africa, or even visit antartica. The Outremer is unsuitable for the latter.

Perhaps they will leave La Vaga in Aus, then head east in the Outremer. That would be new.

As for patreon, I think the figures are misleading. Someone who earns money that way did say that the figure you see is usually per month, so if releasing 4 vids a month then it's more like $2k per video. Still excellent though. Of course the taxman will have a massive chunk of that. Patreon donations aren't actually donations in the normal tax free sense. The patreons are actually paying for content/special access and the like.

Due to the duality of purpose, they most likely can't even claim boat expenses against tax. Still, it's a great income.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 14:43   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Will be interesting for sure.

I can't seem the point in them going back to all the same places. None will be as good as remembered and probably not as much fun without the excitement of visiting for the first time.

Personally after a circumnavigation I'd want to maybe head down to Africa, or even visit antartica. The Outremer is unsuitable for the latter.

Perhaps they will leave La Vaga in Aus, then head east in the Outremer. That would be new.

As for patreon, I think the figures are misleading. Someone who earns money that way did say that the figure you see is usually per month, so if releasing 4 vids a month then it's more like $2k per video. Still excellent though. Of course the taxman will have a massive chunk of that. Patreon donations aren't actually donations in the normal tax free sense. The patreons are actually paying for content/special access and the like.

Due to the duality of purpose, they most likely can't even claim boat expenses against tax. Still, it's a great income.
https://www.patreon.com/LaVagabonde

According to that it's per video. (And it's up to $7,750! I guess getting a little "more" of Elayna in the videos is helping)

They could re-do the circumnavigation and hit places they haven't been too yet, and re-visit a few they really enjoyed. IIRC they hit the Caribbean in the BVI's and went south, they could aim further north, maybe visit cuba, mexico, belize, Honduras, etc.

I don't know, but I am looking forward to finding out!
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 15:07   #179
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
or even visit antartica. The Outremer is unsuitable for the latter.
Yeah - better tell these people that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14567455_966266023483402_1265600624481490107_o.jpg
Views:	4252
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	133583  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 17:31   #180

Boat: Outremer 51

No kidding. Some great pics of an Outremer 55 in Antarctica.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14567491_966266420150029_4169770554076416134_o.jpg
Views:	4265
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	133589   Click image for larger version

Name:	O55.jpg
Views:	4245
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	133590  

Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote