Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 19:55   #151

Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Curious to see what they do in the out. Open and interested mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sail power sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 04:18   #152

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
For folks who value the illusion of "real" - RAN sailing is probably the best YouTube channel. Low budget, extremely high production value, sailor who has been to southern Atlantic/South Georgia.

Less singing. Maybe with enough followers they can get a free HR

Agree here! RAN are a great Swedish couple & he's a hardcore badass sailor that really knows his stuff. High quality videos and I look forward to their next adventures when they get to South America.

Happy for LV too. I've enjoyed Riley & Elayna's development into very capable world wide cruisers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 04:58   #153

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
Agree here! RAN are a great Swedish couple & he's a hardcore badass sailor that really knows his stuff. High quality videos and I look forward to their next adventures when they get to South America.

Happy for LV too. I've enjoyed Riley & Elayna's development into very capable world wide cruisers as well.

Also don't miss out on one time CF regulars Brent & Ana on their YouTube channel Catamaran Impi. "The Friendly Catamaran" as Brent says it! Really nice stuff Man!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 18:40   #154

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Apparently this is a one year use deal
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 19:28   #155

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Sounds like they have it for a year,maybe Outremer has a buyer lined up in Australia ,wait a year ,get a discount,free delivery,etc. Congratulations to them,I think most watch because of them,not the boat, Elana being way more attractive than Angelina Jolie helps !!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 20:20   #156

It also helps they both have very good personalities.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:59   #157

Boat: Catamaran 22 ft

Mono or multi, I'll watch their show as long as I like it. They are wandering at the places I am not. While they see and show me there as a normal guy not tourist information office , the show will be interesting for me.
nuri kongur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:03   #158

Here's the full video with much more details about the deal

Old 25-09-2016, 16:23   #159
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

An Outremer 45, brand new and landed in Australia, after taxes and duties is approx a million dollar boat - don't forget options either. I talked ballpark pricing with the dealer here in Sydney after the boat show and going out and sailing one. Great boat by the way and well done to Riley and Elayna. I've followed them for a long time and they're the ones even my partner will watch.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:13   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think Elayna was working in a bar when they first met.
Anyway, it doesnt matter. What matters is they are putting a lot of effort into their videos. I don't think too many on this forum know how long it takes to edit one... but its not easy. I used to cut 30 seconds per hour and that was with a professional editor pushing the buttons.

And some on this thread are chucking will etpunious numbers are kind like $6,000 per month.
If you think that's good money for full time work chop it in half because there's 2 of them and you may get a sense of reality when.put up against a miner in the outback ... less tax ..
Etc
I don't begrudge them one penny of the money they earn.I enjoy their videos, I hope they earn more. I find it fascinating all of the different ways in this world that people are able to make a lot of money.

It's hard not to notice they are an attractive couple, but that's not why I watch. I find their style very engaging. They seem like they would be great people to hang around with and that's the lasting appeal imho.

But it appears to me they make a little over $7300 per video. They put out roughly 4 videos per month based on my non-scientific research. This is roughly $350000 per yer. Now take out ~7% for Patreon's cut and that's ~$325000 per yer before taxes. Even if they are working full time on these videos that's pretty darn good money. Maybe my math is off here or I don't understand the billing model, that's completely possible. Hopefully someone with more knowledge sets this post straight.

If I had to bet I would say that they spend more than 40 hours per week doing everything involved in making these videos. Filming, downloading, editing, uploading, answering emails, and updating blogs/social media all of this adds up. Hopefully it hasn't turned the joy of sailing into a chore for them.

Anyway I say good on them.
supereri73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:18   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, supereri.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:30   #162

Looks awesome!

They are one of the great stories on the youtubes for sure!

I worry for them that the upgrade might make their series less relatable to many but they'll probably attract a whole new bunch of fans as well

Super news and great show!
AquaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 02:59   #163
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SV La Vagabonde new ride

Just seen the boat they're getting/got.. good for them..
Style and content is bound to change now to some extent.. its inevitable, but it does not have to be irrelevant.. its not what one travels in that counts.. more where one travels to and the experiences along the way.
All types and sizes of boats share anchorages around the world.. with a multitude of flags.
Voyagers in general have a healthy respect for each other in my experience.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 20:30   #164

I say more power to the pair! They give us a look at the world that many would never see and inspire some to go out and do it themselves.
To judge them in a negative way for getting a deal on an incredible vessel like the Outremer is just silly.
They are clearly dedicated sailors that inspire many of us and I wish them nothing but the best!
Just wait till Elayna signs a record deal....and I bet she will.
Carry on....you guys have much love from your followers😎
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:47   #165

I cant believe the discussion about Riley and Elayna is selling out.
They are simply awesome, have done a great deal of work, share their life, travel and emotions and mostly of us who subscribe and watch and thankful for them enrichening not only our lives but our dreams.
Whatever deal they made with Outremer is their business and I am happy for them.
When it comes to mono or multihull there are those who are on either side but most of us are just thinking boating…… Let them be.

Selling out:
Do you ever watch television? Unless you are in a country where people are taxed to watch television and where the local show get governmental funding your will have commercials. The show is paid because people are watching the commercials. Is this to sell out?
Do you ever listen to radio? Same thing here, commercials pay the show unless it is run by governmental funding or religious funding (both which can have effect on the contents of the show). Is radio commercials selling out?
Did you even watch the morning show on television and the host was presenting a new concept, a company on the growth or a cool new product? Is this selling out?
No, thought so!

Did you notice there is many times ads or even a short commercial before the Vagabonde show? Click the link in the commercial, click the ad. Then watch the show. This will give Riley and Elayna a few cents to spend on cameras, SD-cards, hard-drives, software etc. It is needed and they deserve it.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote