Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-05-2013, 15:25   #1

Surveyor in Washington state

Hello,
We are new to the forum (been lurking for a while) and new to purchasing/owning a catamaran. Now that we have decided on one, we are looking for a recommendation for a good marine surveyor in Washington state that knows multihulls. I have browsed this site and seen recommendations for surveyors on the east coast and other areas, but hoping that someone can help with the name(s) of a quality surveyor in Washington.

Thanks!

Old 22-05-2013, 15:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Surveyor in Washington state

Matt Harris. But he is in Bellingham... not sure where you are. ? He's great... not sure about Multihulls... just ask him.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 19:45   #3

Thanks Cheechako, I'll check him out. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 23-05-2013, 19:59   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swell View Post

No, but I could give you a whole bunch of names of surveyors you SHOULDN'T talk to. Have yet to see a survey I was really impressed by in Seattle. And I've seen a great many. Make sure to get a mechanic and rigger to do separate surveys.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 09:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
He's a good guy, no BS, says it like it is. I've recommended him to a couple people and both were very satisfied. Someone with Cat experience in the PNW may be tough though, not that many up here..

Old 25-05-2013, 23:12   #6

Minaret,
I would be interested in the names of surveyors to avoid. That would be equally helpful to narrow the search, thanks.
Old 25-05-2013, 23:16   #7

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Matt Harris. But he is in Bellingham... not sure where you are. ? He's great... not sure about Multihulls... just ask him.
I would second this.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:31   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Minaret,
I would be interested in the names of surveyors to avoid. That would be equally helpful to narrow the search, thanks.

I'll refrain from beating up on the little guys. I will say, however, that you should not hire anyone who works for Reisner McEwen. Which of course includes many local surveyors. I view surveys and surveyors as strictly an extension of the insurance companies, the vast majority of surveys aren't worth the paper they are written on. Get the people who will be doing the actual work to "survey" for you. A mechanics or riggers survey has actual value, especially when done by the person who will have to make good on his statements. Get a competent glass guy to look at it too. Only pay for a survey if you have already decided to buy the boat based on the advice of a mechanic, rigger, boat builder, and your own very thorough careful survey. You have time, the surveyor only has a single day at best. The survey is strictly paper work to appease the insurance companies and allow you to have insurance.

For mechanical surveys in the Seattle area, I will once again recommend Mark Hiraiwa, of Auxiliary Engine Services. He's at Shilshole, great guy and a stellar mechanic who's honest and hard working (very rare).

For rigging, I recommend Kent Powley, at Yachtmasters Northwest. Extremely competent and reasonably priced. Very good rig inspections. For sails, the Schattauer Bros.

I will refrain from comment on the boat building front, as I would have to recommend my own company there. Just be aware that many glass companies will happily send someone out for free to get the work. They have every incentive to find every little flaw and point it out, as it means work for them. They can give you an estimate on the spot for what it will cost to make things right, giving you a bargaining chip. And when it comes time to actually do the work, they will have incentive to stick to their word, unlike coming in to the yard with "the surveyor said"....

Good luck!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:50   #9

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk
Amen on the advice to avoid Reisner et al.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 09:19   #10

Matt Harris works for Reisner McEwen. I've heard nothing but good things about him and have been impressed by his professionalism and surveys of his that I have seen, although I have never hired him for a survey myself.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend John Sanford, who also works for Reisner McEwen, and whom I have worked with personally. I'm sitting aboard a vessel he surveyed for us right now, and after more than a year of crawling around working on it up close and in detail, I still haven't found anything he missed or got wrong in that initial two-day survey... a rarity, in my experience.
Old 26-05-2013, 09:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzMonkey View Post
Matt Harris works for Reisner McEwen. I've heard nothing but good things about him and have been impressed by his professionalism and surveys of his that I have seen, although I have never hired him for a survey myself.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend John Sanford, who also works for Reisner McEwen, and whom I have worked with personally. I'm sitting aboard a vessel he surveyed for us right now, and after more than a year of crawling around working on it up close and in detail, I still haven't found anything he missed or got wrong in that initial two-day survey... a rarity, in my experience.
Yeah, Matt definitely doesnt fall in the "The survey is strictly paper work to appease the insurance companies and allow you to have insurance."
category. If this is what you are getting out of your surveys then YOU are setting the wrong expectation.

Old 27-05-2013, 08:53   #12
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I've used both Matt Harris and Alan Vilage (Port Townsend Marine Surveys), both for catamarans. I thought they both did an excellent job. Neither approached the task flippantly. Both were thorough and provided excellent post-survey support. While Matt does not "specialize" on multihulls (not enough business in the PacNW for that), he was knowledgeable of the issues. Alan probably has a bit more specific knowledge of multihulls, since he used to build them, but I wouldn't say it was enough to recommend one vs the other. Both were very good.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 13:40   #13

Thanks again to everyone who has responded - very useful information.

Tags
surveyor, Washington

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: