Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana

STRIP PLANKING, let me see what that must mean, I'm sure Chris White, Leopard, Schionning and other Catamaran designers/Builders know, thats right they have sent me hundreds of production photographs of their STRIP PLANKING construction method.

You must know what this means guys, build a frame using your bulkheads, on the curved bit (that is the bottom bit of the Hull) they use timber planks of something like 1.5" x 0.75" something like that and fix that to the bulkheads, ply or some such timber is used for the flat panels.

Bruce numbers: Power to weight ratio; what a good way of finding out if the Cat is too heavy with a small rig and it does not stand a chance of being quick.

Take the 'Seawind' 1250, I asked the Dealer in Australia to explain to us Forum readers why that Cat has a 1.11 Bruce number which is slow, he never replied did you, does not want the truth to come out.

I can tell you what I know about the 'Seawind' 1250, it is 12.5m and has a small sail area, and it is heavy by comparison to other Cats on the market.

A Bruce number starts you off in the right direction, if you want a Bucket 1.11 is OK, 1.30 is better, that's what my Cat does, if i.40 is too high for you to handle, don't go there, it is simple, ask the right questions, get the right answers and progress and ask the questions like I did.

When the 'Seawind' Dealer does not answer your question about the low Bruce number (1.11) find out why, if your happy with his answer, buy it.

Many people are not happy with the Catamaran that they thought be fast and get overtaken by Monohulls, I get brassed off when it happens to me.

Come on guys, sailing Caravan days are numbered, sailing Condos are out so that leaves real sailing Catamarans, not Buckets with a Mast.

I don't want to brake the World speed record in my Catamaran, I just wish the production Cats had 3 of the 6 design elements required for it to sail better, that's not too much to ask is is Mr Seawind.

Have a nice day: The notorious Barry Parkinson, the Tornado helmsman nobody has herd of.
You have just proven how clueless you are.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:57   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27
smj, please tell us about Multihull Dynamics. I was interested in getting data about my Catana, but they want a lot of info/registry and I'm leery of that. Are you registered with MD?
Yes we registered and no problems. Great site and it's free.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, surveyor