Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 09:40   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Survey a New Construction Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Paul L,

That doesn't answer my question. If the surveyor misses something that is clearly under spec or poorly constructed, that had a major impact by failing, then what is the responsibility of the surveyor? I guess legally and liability wise?
As I said you aren't buying insurance from a surveyor. They might have some liability if they exhibited gross negligence in the survey, but they are not responsible for something that may have been detectable, but wasn't.
Old 18-08-2014, 10:04   #17

Boat: Various
Re: Survey a new construction boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Question to the people who have purchased new and had a survey. If the survey comes back with issues, what recourse does the buyer have? Will the manufacturer fix deficiencies? Sorry for the ignorant question, I have not heard nor read of a situation where a new boat is surveyed.
We have paid for surveys of new boats. Only once was there an issue and it pertained to how some of the wiring was run. They took about two hours fixing it to our satisfaction. The benefit was getting it fixed then and there instead of waiting around for it. Our contract on a build also included a survey clause.

There have over the years been a lot of lemons delivered that a survey would have caught. However, when you've already paid for the boat, you are at a disadvantage. That's a reason too for the final payment to be after the survey is completed and all items corrected. Whether it's 5% or 10% in most cases it's more than the cost of compliance.

Unfortunately, I've also known this situation to lead to the courtroom. One boat in particular, a 97' model, was contracted to meet Veritas Unlimited standards and for many reasons didn't pass the survey.But they were unable to get the problems quickly corrected by the builder.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 14:54   #18

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran

Good stuff y'all ... I'm definitely getting the survey and now have plenty of good options / referrals. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 07:33   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & LA View Post
Good stuff y'all ... I'm definitely getting the survey and now have plenty of good options / referrals. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Just my two cents here.. Yes, get it surveyed. I find discrepancies all the time in new boat surveys. Sometimes things right from the factory and things that occurred during the delivery. Be sure the surveyor is ABYC Standards Accredited so he can recognize those issues if they exist. Generally speaking if there is a loss on a vessel and it was something that was not ABYC compliant that had to do with the loss (such as a drain hose without a seacock below the water line for example) most likely the insurance companies will deny the claim (I have been involved in those claims as a surveyor and have seen the end results). The last new boat I surveyed had seven pages of ABYC non-compliant discrepancies. Yes, the vessel was made overseas and then delivered to Fort Lauderdale.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey