Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 06:23   #16

gap in bows

What is this gap in the bows?
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:16   #17

Boat: Herreshoff 36
Re: Superyacht 61 meter Sailing Catamaran

How about this as a sailing ship:

Windstar Wind Surf Cruise Ship

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windsurfshipwithsailsup.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	130532  
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:22   #18

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Yeah i'm curious as well what the cutouts in the bow areas do
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:39   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Has anyone else seen this new concept? I suggested it might have been a MUCH better alternative to that SY A disaster.

Spectrum 61 Spans the Spectrum of Entertainment Options - Megayacht News

Come visit and I've take for a sail.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48   #20

Boat: Currently in between

Upon looking my initial impression was "mini-cruise ship"
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

The yacht has been designed with bulbous bows engineered to provide the bulb geometry necessary for a sailing cat, with spray rails to suit the axe bow. These hydrodynamic features, the designers claim, have produced its distinct axe blade and associated bulb recess at each bow.

Each hull is equipped with a 1850kW MTU 12V 4000 M71 main engine and mated with 1.8-metre CP feathering propellers and associated gears.

In addition, Spectrum 61 is set to carry 100kW Voith rim drive thrusters located in each hull near the bow.
Mooring decks with fold-down sea doors are arranged between crew deck and fore-peak, with thruster compartments below.

In addition 2.5m wide promenade deck runs all around the vessel so that groups can stroll side-by-side in conversation or jog around for laps. The designers note that eight laps are one kilometre.
http://www.jacktarsuperyachtcharter....er-associates/

I have now added the necessary thickness to the bow blades so they are no longer thin sheet depictions, but realistically sculpted blades. It had bothered me that the flat blades disappeared in head-on views so this needed updating early.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/spect...bert-sedlmayer

Here are some more interesting photo type presentations
Spectrum 61 | SEDLMAYER ASSOCIATES PTY LTD
Old 03-09-2016, 12:43   #22

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Wow... i'd love to jump through that center circular hole through the entire boat!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 15:05   #23

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

should be one in every anchorage / gold coin donation covercharge /byo sundowners
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 15:17   #24

Someone's pipe dream or wet dream, depending on how you view it. Probably pipe it will never see the water.
Old 03-09-2016, 16:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Obviously hasn't been planned well. Where to find a shipyard to build a boat that wide and of course, where to eventually haul out a monstrosity that wide?
In Western Australia, south of Perth there are boat yards that build much larger cats than this. Monster wave piercing high speed catamaran ferries. Some used by various navies. Alloy construction (mainly). Working speeds in the 40 plus knot range. These vessels are flogged all around the world. However, undoubtedly for a vessel that requires to carry a zillion tons of goodies then a large displacement hull would seem a better financial proposition. But multihulls have evolved to occupy nearly all niches in the boating world.
My own observation is that when it comes to ostentatious bad taste, well heeled owners often seem remarkably if not hilariously successful.
An interesting development.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Someone's pipe dream or wet dream, depending on how you view it. Probably pipe it will never see the water.
Reminds me of when I was a kid and we would draw all kinds of crazy cars with giant rear tires, wings, shooting flames out the exhaust and so on.

Reality is with a pair of 2000hp engines, they never really intend it to sail, so why bother with all that complication. Just hang a nice 60'er off the davits for when the urge to sail takes over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Alarm bells about Weight management ring loudly with large multihull conceptual designs like this.

You are fighting from day one to satisfy the luxurious comforts and the anticipated quality of finish that the client expects. Plus add-ons that invariably come along during the production stage.

That all adds weight as does the materials needed for noise/vibration treatment.

Two skinny hulls just can't carry it with the same margins for error, that a monohull can.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:17   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Alarm bells about Weight management ring loudly with large multihull conceptual designs like this.

You are fighting from day one to satisfy the luxurious comforts and the anticipated quality of finish that the client expects. Plus add-ons that invariably come along during the production stage.

That all adds weight as does the materials needed for noise/vibration treatment.

Two skinny hulls just can't carry it with the same margins for error, that a monohull can.
I can't see any weight issue here. At this size any weight concerns for a yacht should be gone. The load carrying of a large cat like this is pretty high, and the worst case is you increase the hull width by 1/4" and add a few tons more carrying capacity. Just take a look at the cargo capacity of 60m catamaran car ferries as an example. There will be plenty of capacity for all the marble countertops you care to fit.

My issue with this is that I am pretty convinced that in the Mega-Yacht world it's all about having the biggest boat. Most owners don't seem to use them much. They just keep buying bigger and bigger ones as a show of how rich they are. Moving to a Cat means you now are forced to have a shorter yacht than you otherwise would have which seems to miss the point.

No mega yacht is really going to be a good sailer, so if you wanted to go sailing, you would just buy a normal yacht and have a 40' foiling catamaran as a dinghy.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I can't see any weight issue here. At this size any weight concerns for a yacht should be gone. The load carrying of a large cat like this is pretty high, and the worst case is you increase the hull width by 1/4" and add a few tons more carrying capacity. Just take a look at the cargo capacity of 60m catamaran car ferries as an example. There will be plenty of capacity for all the marble countertops you care to fit.
And the carrying capacity of those cargo cats adopted by the armed forces:

HSV 2 Swift
Quote:
HSV 2 Swift is capable of maintaining an average speed of 35 knots or greater, loaded with 500 short tons, consisting of 350 personnel and military equipment. A minimum operating range of 1100 nautical miles at 35 knots was required by the contract, as was a minimum transit range of 4000 nautical miles at an average speed of 20 knots. Furthermore, she is capable of 24 hour operations at slow speeds (3-10 knots) for experimentation with unmanned autonomous vehicles, and to support dedicated and emerging organic mine warfare missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble
My issue with this is that I am pretty convinced that in the Mega-Yacht world it's all about having the biggest boat. Most owners don't seem to use them much. They just keep buying bigger and bigger ones as a show of how rich they are. Moving to a Cat means you now are forced to have a shorter yacht than you otherwise would have which seems to miss the point.

No mega yacht is really going to be a good sailer, so if you wanted to go sailing, you would just buy a normal yacht and have a 40' foiling catamaran as a dinghy.
I think you are correct about the 'longest thing',...sort of like something else

I would amend that to say 'most mega yachts'. I think Maltese Falcon has shown to be quite a good sailing vessel.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
And the carrying capacity of those cargo cats adopted by the armed forces:

HSV 2 Swift
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I think you are correct about the 'longest thing',...sort of like something else

I would amend that to say 'most mega yachts'. I think Maltese Falcon has shown to be quite a good sailing vessel.
Let me know when the US Navy launches one of them?

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing, yacht