Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 20:42   #1

Sunreef 60 Loft vs FP Ipanema

Hi,
We are torn between the Sunreef 60 Loft and the FP Ipanema. Some say the Sunreef is too heavy and doesn't perform well, others say the service is worse at Fountain Pajot.
Is there someone out there who owns one of them or has an educated thought about deciding between them two?

Thanks
JohannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 23:19   #2

Re: Sunreef 60 Loft vs FP Ipanema

• What is your general plan
  • Sail alone ? with mate only? Group of 10 friends circle the world?
  • Sail with Crew ? put into charter ?
  • Europe ? Caribbean ? Bora Bora ?
  • Never sailed before ? 20 years on a Sailboat ?
  • Will cost be any factor at all ?
  • Those do cost a few dollars & maintenance will be like WoW
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 00:33   #3

What always amazes me - many people stating that "maintenance will be WOW!". Or "expect maintenance to be at least 15% of boat price, per year". All of that without ANY clarification, WHERE these money will go to. So, 3 year old boat price is $1M. 15% of that is $150K. Does anyone can break that amount - where EXACTLY these money will go (typically) on 3 year old boat? Let say I will do ALL mechanical maintenance and repairs myself (including engine and transmission, of course), ALL electrical AND electronic repairs, all fiberglass work, all paint jobs, and everything else not requiring heavy equipment involved. So where these $150K will go to?
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 00:37   #4

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannaB View Post
Hi,
We are torn between the Sunreef 60 Loft and the FP Ipanema. Some say the Sunreef is too heavy and doesn't perform well, others say the service is worse at Fountain Pajot.
Is there someone out there who owns one of them or has an educated thought about deciding between them two?

Thanks
Both are beautiful but huge boats. Sunreef is more luxurious. Not sure if I would be able to handle that much boat with my wife and daughter without crew.

I also think it will be difficult to get a mooring for a boat that size.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:05   #5

Hi,
I'm not debating whether the size is too much to handle, I'm debating whether to get one or the other. We are planning a circumnavigation with 3 kids, 3 adults and occasional guests. We are experienced sailors and can handle a boat that size.
Is there anyone out there who has a sunreef 60 loft and can convince us of the sailing performance it has? We know what we get with FP but have never sat a foot on a sunreef.
JohannaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:36   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

JohannaB,

Can Sunreef assist you on getting onto or chartering Sunreef 60 Loft. Would make everything come to light if you can spend some time on one.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40   #7
35S

?? 586 XP
35S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

I did a short delivery on a Sun Reef 70. Nice boat, didn't have much wind to contend with. Easily handled with one good deck hand and one or two family and/or friends with a little knowledge and experience, but she did have bow thrusters. It was a brand new boat shipped from Poland to Jacksonville. Some warranty items in Florida. Good response from the factory. Would have been better but the factory only had two technicians with US work visas, one guy was on vacation the other was in the hospital so other techs had to meet up with the boat in Panama to finish up. That was four years ago and to my knowledge that boat has had no significant issues since. I have no FP experience but I've heard the stories about post-delivery work.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

No idea about the Sunreef but I've sailed the Ipanema and we did some warranty works on it.
She has a lot of space as you can imagine and was well made, few issues during delivery from La Rochelle to Turkey. I wouldn't call her fast; barely 8-5-9 kts at 45 degrees AWA and 20 kts wind. Off the wind, she's not impressive either.
The worst thing is that the boat has a second forestay close to the first one. The end result is you have furl and unfurl the genoa each time you tack.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:05   #10

I’ve been looking both at Sunreef loft 60 and some of the FPs (Ipanema and Saba).
I am biased on both as it seems.
Threw out a bunch of questions to FP and on the first attempt they did not answer me but a few days later a dealership contacted me about selling boats but had no real information to me about warranty and my questions except for that they as a dealer would take care of that.
I asked again things like, how many years warranty total, how many on engine, what can I do myself, will they come to where I am to fix any issues etc. ---- No answer.
It seems common from French manufacturers that they don’t want to have anything to do with service and warranty, it is up to the dealership. This would be ok in the automotive manufacturer business but not for a low volume cat manufactuerer in France.
Secondly I tried contacting FP again without answer but I was contacted by a large dealer in USA, In Annapolis about boat purchasing. I replied to them my questions of which I did not get any answers but instead a sales mail about how good it would be to own a boat and let them charter it in BVI and Caribbean.
I replied back that I am not interested in charter, that I want a owners boat, and that I am going to use it myself but may possible take on some charter myself as the captain. No response to that but I keep getting what I think is marketing e-mails about their charter program. Quite disturbing really.

Has been looking into the Loft 60 and there is a lot of things I really like about the boat but also some of the other Sunreefs and I have got a very nice contact there who will reply any questions on the same day.
The negatives is however that the boats are slow, very slow. I did not try one myself, have a invitation to Poland to go and I might do it but everywhere I read they are slow and everyone I talked to either say they sail really slow or they motored.
I will take the time to go to Poland to try one out but I am thinking to much. What do I want?

If I want to spend my life living in a nice boat in the Med, staying at a marina or possible cruising around a bit locally it would be fine. Although it would have quite big fuel costs.
Imagine rounding Cape Horn, I don’t know……
Imagine taking it to from Argentina to Elephant Island, Antactica, stay 3 weeks and via South Shetland and back…… Don’t think so.
Imagine taking her from Panama to Galapagos to Marqueses….. Don’t think so.
Imagine taking her the southern ocean from Australia to South Africa between 50s and 60s…….. Don’t think so.
Can someone tell me different? Please do.

I want to cruise the world, from Equator to rounding Svalbard in the north to visiting South Shetland, South Georgia, Heard Island and Antarctica….
As it is I am mostly considering multihull. Cat or Tri. But I can also consider a few Monohulls, Garcia is one of the few.
When it comes to Cats I am looking mostly at St Francis 50. And Tris, we there is not so much to choose from. Was looking into Neel before, but the recent evidence of how Neel (again a French manufacturer) is treating their warranty issues scared me off. Looking at Rapido instead.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 16:58   #11

Boat: Sunreef 60 Loft

I have a Sunreef 60 Loft. New June 2016. I took it from Poland to the Balearic Islands for its maiden voyage. We had an Engineer on board to Southhampton. I have had 4 new boats and the Service by Sunreef has been the best. Very quick responses and they have sent service guys to to the last of the warranty work in Spain. My only complaint is that they were late with the delivery date, very late. As far as performance goes yes It's heavy but its all a trade off. You want luxury or performance? I used to race yachts so i estimated how much time I'd spend sailing, motoring anchored and moored.
Sunreef gave me some polar charts I can get over 10kn in the right conditions the boat is still new to me so I'm learning how far I can push it. I intend to do about 10 years of summers in the Med and the first 3-4 will be western so I don't expect much sailing. That said I have equipped it with an Ayso and code zero.

I have docked in some really tight marinas and find twin screws plus a thruster all I need. Docking can be an issue with a lee jetty if there is no one to take the line. When tying up parallel You need to come in bow first as you can not see the stern. Is shorthanded we tape the noose end of the mooring line to the end of a boat hook pole and simply lower it around the jetty cleat.

I doubt you will be a better built Cat than Sunreef
Just_cruizen is offline   Reply With Quote