Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 17:56   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,821
Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

A friend of mine showed me this article from Popular Science from years ago. It looks like a fun boat, but probably not doable in a larger size.

Internet searching for any crumbs of information from the article produced no results for either me or my friend.

Does anyone know if this design actually made it into any production?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151031_164856.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	111991  
__________________

__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 19:26   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On board in the Chesapeake
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 410
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

It's a new one on me. From the photo, it's a bit hard to understand quite how it works.
__________________

__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 20:00   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,821
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Here's a closer photo from the same page.
There's a center rail which is connected to both of the 3 spoke hull connections which stays on the center line.
It also holds the mast and forestay.
The jib is self tending and the boomless main is sheeted to the aft end of the center rail.
The mast has conventional stays which go to the mats which are apparently fixed to the center rail.
The boat from the base of the mast including the mats is strictly a standard self tending jib type boat.
It's only the hulls which swivel below that is novel (and bizarre).
I'm still trying to figure out where the rudder attaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	111994  
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:26   #4
cruiser

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 285
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Have a look for Randy Smyth's "Sizzor" trimaran, similar concept. On reaches/downwind, you get longer waterline, just when you need it
__________________
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central California
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 873
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Only one rudder. Should be a bonus -
less drag. Long waterline with less
weight too. Be nice to know what
ever became of it.

Is this the same Robert Jamieson?:
Sail boats on lake. Photo by robert jamieson — National Geographic Your Shot
__________________
Bill
...........................................
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila, California
Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Posts: 232
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

I love that stuff, I would like to watch one from the shore go in circles.
__________________
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 14:34   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,866
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Looks like a tacking version of a proa, where they reconfigure the main hull on each tack rather than shuttle like you would on a traditional proa.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:58   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 100
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Looks like a tacking version of a proa, where they reconfigure the main hull on each tack rather than shuttle like you would on a traditional proa.
Exactly. I like your use of the word shuttle. It conveys better what happens during a shunt. This construction also demonstrates in absurdum how effectively simple proa's are for the very same sailing advantages.
__________________
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:14   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Manila, California
Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Posts: 232
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

But a proa reverses ends each tack.I think the only advantage of this boat would be a lengthened waterline, which is actually not of any value on a planing hull. weird, but I still like it.
__________________
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:48   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,866
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdekeyser View Post
Exactly. I like your use of the word shuttle. It conveys better what happens during a shunt. This construction also demonstrates in absurdum how effectively simple proa's are for the very same sailing advantages.
Actually I meant shunt but that's neither here nor there.

For a small dingy type application I really like the proa idea for it's simplicity. This thing does not look simple by any stretch of the imagination.

Some day I have to finish the 14' proa that is sitting in my brother-in-laws pole barn. It's largely built but needs finish work. The problem is we headed out cruising.
- All but the main hull can be quickly dissassembled and stored in the extra cabin or the whole thing can hang from the davits (estimated weight 60-80lbs).
- With the narrow hulls, it should padle as easily as a canoe.
- A little 2hp outboard on the cross arm should move it along nicely
- A simple lateen sail is planned with a mounting point on the cross arms to use a paddle as a rudder.
- High freeboard compared to an inflatable should make it dry.
- With a ladder mounded between the hulls, it should be easy and stable to climb in and out from the water.
- Solid hull so no holes like inflatables get.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 100
Re: Strangest Cat/Tri I've Ever Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Actually I meant shunt but that's neither here nor there.

For a small dingy type application I really like the proa idea for it's simplicity. This thing does not look simple by any stretch of the imagination.

Some day I have to finish the 14' proa that is sitting in my brother-in-laws pole barn. It's largely built but needs finish work. The problem is we headed out cruising.
- All but the main hull can be quickly dissassembled and stored in the extra cabin or the whole thing can hang from the davits (estimated weight 60-80lbs).
- With the narrow hulls, it should padle as easily as a canoe.
- A little 2hp outboard on the cross arm should move it along nicely
- A simple lateen sail is planned with a mounting point on the cross arms to use a paddle as a rudder.
- High freeboard compared to an inflatable should make it dry.
- With a ladder mounded between the hulls, it should be easy and stable to climb in and out from the water.
- Solid hull so no holes like inflatables get.
The builder of this boat has done the opposite: a catamaran "dingy" fitting its hulls alongside as fairings to the beams of this large HarryProa.
__________________

__________________
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Ever seen Davits Like These? gwp Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 3 02-06-2011 12:40
Very Possibly the Strangest Post You've Ever Read Monkeypunch Meets & Greets 30 16-06-2010 07:26
Tri-vial Tri-maran Questions brak Multihull Sailboats 5 08-06-2010 16:54
The Nicest Yacht Interior I've Ever Seen... TrevC General Sailing Forum 16 18-12-2009 05:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.