Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 11:35   #1

Boat: Prout Catamaran 36'
Stranded in Quelimane, Mozambique

Prour 36' Catamaran cracked sail drive.

Somebody out there?

I lost one my sail drives én route from Inhambane to Quelimane due to a crack in the sail drive. Yanmar SD20/25. It cracked below the gear box underneath the hull. A new one is very, very expensive and shipping from anywhere to here is very, very expensive.

Yanmar says it was due to extensive corrosion but the anodes are still good. But that's not the point. I just can't find a good second hand leg anywhere in the world. The one in Canada I could not afford. I'm now trying to secure one in Fort Lauderdale, but that doesn't look promising.

Is there anybody out there with help, a good word, advice or knowledge?

My wife is about to divorce me... no kidding. Real bad. Got very bad. Attempted suicide.

Took up a job here to get money to try and secure a sail drive. Just enough to cover my commitments.

Anybody?

Jan Searat Aucamp
Janaucamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43   #2
cruiser

Re: Stranded in Quelimane, Mozambique

Don't you have two engines, basically one spare onboard already? Aren't you on a "sailboat" that's wind powered? How can you possibly declare that you're "stranded" and can't go anywhere?

Our boat has always only had only one working engine. Pull yourself together... you're on a sailboat; fire up your other engine and get moving until you can find another spare sail drive.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:01   #3

Sail to Madagascar, find support, put your boat on the market and care for your wife?
Bigmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmarv View Post
Sail to Madagascar, find support, put your boat on the market and care for your wife?
Priorities... Wife FIRST. Boat a very, very distant second.

You are discovering that maintaining a boat is MUCH more expensive than you thought it would be. You are not the first person to make this painful discovery. I have bad news for you: It will not get easier or cheaper as the boat gets older and has more miles on her.

If after less than a year you are so deep in the hole you can't see a way out, maybe it is time to stop digging and go back to land?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 19:28   #5
cruiser

OP,

From your CF home page:

”Never a quiet moment in our lives. On the go. We believe in God. We believe in ourselves. Left the rat race.
Signature
Just do not give up!”

You might wanna reset your priorities and re-join the rat race for a while. My wife and I work six months per year in order to pay for our cruising fun, sounds like you need to get your financial, mental health and marital house in order before messing around with your boat.

The sail drive is not your major issue.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 20:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janaucamp View Post
Prour 36' Catamaran cracked sail drive.

Somebody out there?

I lost one my sail drives én route from Inhambane to Quelimane due to a crack in the sail drive. Yanmar SD20/25. It cracked below the gear box underneath the hull. A new one is very, very expensive and shipping from anywhere to here is very, very expensive.

Yanmar says it was due to extensive corrosion but the anodes are still good. But that's not the point. I just can't find a good second hand leg anywhere in the world. The one in Canada I could not afford. I'm now trying to secure one in Fort Lauderdale, but that doesn't look promising.

Is there anybody out there with help, a good word, advice or knowledge?

My wife is about to divorce me... no kidding. Real bad. Got very bad. Attempted suicide.

Took up a job here to get money to try and secure a sail drive. Just enough to cover my commitments.

Anybody?

Jan Searat Aucamp

Wow
First you need to come to grips with the problem
It's not the sail drive
I can hear you calling for help.
Moz has some great cruising areas so pretty
Sail with one engine. It is a sailing boat
Can the crack be welded
A sail drive isn't the hardest thing to rebuild unless the corrosion is from within poor maintenance of seals lots of water inside the housing where oil should be. Or if the anodes are completely fouled

Life's pretty boring if you kill yourself. Such a selfish thing to do. Sort out your values and life will be

So what is your real problem - fix it
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I agree you can move without the drive and/or use your dinghy engine to assist. I have done both. It’ll be more difficult docking and maneuvering in tight quarters and you may get a few scrapes but let where ever you’re going know your situation before you get there so someone can assist in a rib.

Check out the price of replacing the entire drive vs the leg. I have found that can be cheaper. I have a line on an outer casing for ZF SD 10 leg but I doubt it would fit.

If you can make it to Cape Town there should be lots of resources.

Whoever is having suicidal thoughts needs counseling ASAP. If you don’t have any professional resources available check with whatever local religious organization you/she feels comfortable with. They can help or refer you on. You both may need to attend.

Good luck.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:14   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have spent a lot of time in Mozambique and my advice would be to hire somebody to watch the boat 24/7 and go to South Africa to get what you need. SA has a lot of sailors as well as sailboat construction. Trying to get anything shipped to Moz will take forever (possibly literally forever). You will need to get it yourself in SA and bring it back. Fortunately, it is not that hard to get to SA from Quelimane. Get a phone, find a chandlery in Cape Town and ask them how to make it happen. Then go get it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

A bonus about going to Cape Town - It is one of the most fun cities to visit in the world. No kidding. It wont be a hardship to be there a few days. Durban is another possibility and closer to Moz but CT is where the most boat stuff is.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:29   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

or just ditch the whole sail leg setup and go with an outboard
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440 / SuperCat 38

I am from South Africa -there plenty of help in Richards Bay or Durban -both cities are relatively close and certainly enough capabilities available.
IslandStyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54   #12

Boat: Scout 30

It's tough to admit when your plans don't work out but it's clearly time. You're not the first ones to want to live the dream only to realize that it's not all beaches & sunshine and you sure won't be the last. In fact I'd bet that most who jump in without a lot of experience don't last long. Cut your losses, sell the boat & get on with your lives. And quit watching YouTube.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:04   #13

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

I live in Richards Bay which is the first South African port from Mozambique. Cape Town is another 6 days of sailing South. I sail to Mozambique every year and sailed to Madagascar 7 months ago. I will be sailing back to Mozambique in May and then on to Madagascar again. Richards Bay is a very popular destination for cruising yachts and the Arc rally visit here annually. They undertake extensive repairs here. All the required skills are here and we have an excellent yacht club and facilities. We have an excellent mechanic here and excellent boat repair facilities. This is your best bet. Inhambane is an option but I have no doubt that you will encounter massive logistical challenges there. Nosy Be in Madagascar is also an option but certainly not a good one. We did repairs in Madagascar in June but had to source the parts from South Africa. I can put you in touch with a guy that can help if you decide to go there. Nosy Be is the preferred destination there, to a town called Helville. However, Richards Bay is definitely a good option. If you do decide to come here, contact me and I will do all I can to assist you with contacts, local knowledge , advice and sourcing any parts you need. My mobile is +27 83 630 5073. It will take you approximately 7 days to sail here. Regards Mike French
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stranded in Quelimane, Mozambique

I will back up the sail to SA comments..
You have one good engine and that is all you need to get in where a club/marina rib can assist with berthing.
As has been previously stated.. sail the boat, or are the sails also knackered.
Best wishes, whatever of the above options you opt for.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I live in Richards Bay which is the first South African port from Mozambique. .................... However, Richards Bay is definitely a good option. If you do decide to come here, contact me and I will do all I can to assist you with contacts, local knowledge , advice and sourcing any parts you need. My mobile is +27 83 630 5073. It will take you approximately 7 days to sail here. Regards Mike French
Wow! If I was stuck in your part of the world, I would like a friend like you... congratulations and good for you to offer to assist!
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote