Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 23:17   #16

Re: Storage of bigger items in hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
The hulls are usually not as tall at the very back, am I wrong?
And I'm not sure if jetski hanging right above diesel engine is a good idea, but that could be one of the options.
The question is - why no known conversions like this? I don't believe I'm first who's suggesting this.
Figure 3' from bilge to top of motor (with a bit of air space). Figure 0.5' for floor and your average jetski is maybe 3.5' tall. That means you need 7' to fit it all in.

A lot of the larger cats have 6' of freeboard until you get to the steps. Since the rear seat is a little lower than the handlebars, I would think you could fit it pretty easily.

You would have to treat the engine room as if it was a gas powered boat by adding blowers since there is the risk the jetski tank could leak but otherwise very doable.

I suspect there just isn't a lot of demand and retrofitting would be hugely expensive.

If we were to move up to a 45'+ cat, I would get beefed up davits and go back to the tunnel hull inflatable with 40hp outboard that I used to own. No need to do major boat surgery and it can go toe to toe with a jetski for speed, shallow draft and maneuverability.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 23:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suspect there just isn't a lot of demand and retrofitting would be hugely expensive.

Well, do-it-yourselfers do amazing things sometimes

If we were to move up to a 45'+ cat, I would get beefed up davits and go back to the tunnel hull inflatable with 40hp outboard that I used to own. No need to do major boat surgery and it can go toe to toe with a jetski for speed, shallow draft and maneuverability.
Mmm...I'm not sure if it would hold toe-to-toe with 90hp jetski weighting less than 350lbs

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 00:15   #18

Quote:
Mmm...I'm not sure if it would hold toe-to-toe with 90hp jetski weighting less than 350lbs

I would regularly run down jet skis. I took a handheld GPS one time and clocked 61mph.

It was 13' long and at full throttle, it would turn 90degrees in it's own length. (you did have to hang on or risk being thrown off)

If there was any kind of chop it would blow the jetskis away as the hulls came completely free of the water.

I launched off a boat wake (accidentally) once and easily cleared 50' before landing. Because of the air cushion effect, the landing was soft and never came off plane.

Yeah, it can run with a 90hp jetski easy.

See the videos on the attached website:

Dux Experience
Old 27-05-2016, 03:05   #19

Looks nice! How much?
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 05:02   #20

Quote:
Looks nice! How much?
I bought mine used but I think the 13' sport model runs about $5k new plus the cost of the outboard so about the same as a jetski.

Tags
hull, storage