Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 13:05   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
steering cables

I have a dual/ twin cable steering system on my Solaris cat , there is no tiller bar linking the two rudders .
the dual helm pulls one cable while pushing the other , which is the same as the Gemini cats .( I have watched the video )
I am trying to take out the slack of almost 30 degrees , yes , it is a lot !
the rotary system and cables are all 2 seasons old so there is no wear , all quadrant connections are new too .
so , my question is ....
can BOTH cables be run into the same side of the dual cable helm ,as done on twin engined powerboats , and to compensate for this , one of the rudder quadrants is turned, through 180 degrees ,therefore both rudders will be pulled then pushed at the same time , instead of one pushing / one pulling ?
I hope this is easy to follow , any ideas please ?
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 22:28   #2

Boat: Spirited 380 Catamaran
Re: steering cables

I have a similar steering arrangement on my cat, but not the same degree of slack in the system, in fact minimal slack at all.
Before changing anything, have looked at where the slack is, it could be just a case of adjusting the tension in the control cables or the connection to the rudder tillers?

Peter
spiritcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 02:21   #3

If there is slack in that wheel unit doesn't it pretty much have to be between the two cable drive discs?
Watched the first few minutes of a vimeo and the two marks he made looked like they might be for presetting spring-damping tension between the two discs.
Guess the marks may have just been his start points for cable introduction?
If your unit was upside down compared to his it might be that you reversed that spacing by mistake, ie by rotating the discs in the wrong direction before assembling.
Maybe watch the vimeo a few more times then try again copying his actions exactly?
Should add that I've never worked on one or even seen one before...
Oh yes - not locking off the outer cable could leave a lot of slack.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 03:42   #4

My guess about possible "spring damping tension" was nonsense - due to the lateness of the hour, sorry.

Is the "30 degrees of slack" 30 degrees at the wheel or at a rudder? Makes a big difference.

If there's slack and the the helm unit has been dismantled is it possible that the 3 shafts on the outer casing didn't engage in the 3 planetary gear bushes on reassembly? That would obviously cause extreme slackness. Worn planetary gears, shafts, bushes might possibly cause 30 degrees at the wheel.

In the vimeo the helm unit mounting bracket looked a bit flimsy.

Cables inserted into the helm unit at the wrong point of the circumference would restrict wheel travel and create an angle between rudders - but no slackness I think?
If you lock the wheel and check each rudder for free play that might tell you something, especially if a cable is broken or disconnected.

"can BOTH cables be run into the same side of the dual cable helm ,as done on twin engined powerboats , and to compensate for this , one of the rudder quadrants is turned, through 180 degrees ,therefore both rudders will be pulled then pushed at the same time , instead of one pushing / one pulling ?"

The helm unit does appear to have been designed to be able to be used in either configuration but I don't see what is gained by changing it?
Old 18-03-2014, 03:56   #5

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Why not rip it all out and go hydraulic?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:44   #6

Is the "30 degrees of slack" 30 degrees at the wheel or at a rudder? Makes a big difference.

its at the wheel ,but the slack is not in the steering box , I can watch the movement behind the steering dash and its nil !

the cables move instantly so the slack is after the steering box , ie in the rest of the linkage , cables ,links , quadrants ,
Today I jumped in with both feet and re fitted the stbd quadrant 180 degrees round so now both cables go in the same side of the helm
resulting in a slight reduction of slack .
I bolted everything up ,tight , down the line to minimise play .

the helm make is PRE TECH in which it is not possible to separate the discs , they are bolted together , quite a different design to the type used in the Gemini,s .
so I can not do the tweek that Gemini owners can do .
Old 18-03-2014, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Why not rip it all out and go hydraulic?
well I ripped it all out two seasons ago and bought replacement gear so , dont want to bin all the new gear .

but yes maybe I should have put hydraulics in it would have made replacing the autopilot easier and cheaper !
Old 18-03-2014, 13:14   #8

I'd have someone at the wheel rocking it back and forth 30 degrees while I look and feel for signs of movement in the whole system. It can't be that hard to find.
Worn outer cables can allow the inner to have free play, tight turns cause most wear inside, you can feel the inner slapping in the outer.
If it's wear it should have happened gradually - if it happened suddenly it's more likely to be a breakage - you didn't say?

Tags
cables, steering