Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 08:00   #1

Starting With Mono or Multi-hull?

I have a little experience with sailing, and I have decided to purchase a boat. choosing between a used monohull and a used catamaran, has been a problem. I wonder if there is a more difficult learning curve with one or the other.
advice , please
Lependule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:19   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: starting with mono or multi-hull?

Go rent or charter a boat, of both kinds, first. You may not like the motion or dynamics of being on the water. Then, if it stays interesting, hire an instructor or take a class. It may be too much work for your lifestyle. If it keeps getting better, keep chartering or crewing on other's boats until it's obvious what is your path. Good luck.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:34   #3

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

If you are married, a best guess is a catamaran. the wives seem to "lean" toward not leaning

or Tri (Roy)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and only to help you consider something. I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, so take my comments with a splash of saltwater. However, I have spent a lot of time considering which type (mono or multi) to get and why and this has influenced my comments below.

I think the budget and your boat choice (which particular boat and size and condition) are most important for a good decussion on this topic.

Why?

Because if your budget is low, you will be choosing between old boats and on the catamaran side it may not be possible to find a suitable cruising boat. For example, if one is limited to just $75K, I think one could find a clean, nice condition older monohull, that could take one around the world. But, that same budget would restrict one to an older, smaller, catamaran, if one could find one in the price point.

If you have a large enough budget (and I suggest posting the maximum "asking price" you would consider) then it helps define the available options.

IF you have $250K or more, then I think a catamaran (e.g. Lagoon 380) would probably be more comfortable for most people in most locations for most typical coastal cruising.

But, with that same $250K I could pick a real strong, big, "blue water boat" that I would feel comfortable taking to extreme locations, and around the world, and it would be a monohull.

So, I think to help you, it is best to define what is possible (the asking price limit) and where you want to sail, and if you plan on living aboard it permanently, and if you intend to have more than just yourself on the boat, etc. Those things matter, as I see it.

Good luck on your choice.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:22   #5

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Do what you love !!!! There is no rational approach possible ! If you love multihulls, sail them. Point ! - By time you will become an expert in it... look at J. Wharram.

If you feel more comforably on monohulls, sail them. Point ! - By time you will become an expert in monohull sailing.

Best: Learn from both worlds... and make your individually decisions. But its nonsense to say: Start with monohull and then later come to multihull. if so, this would be a completly disrespect against sailing nations which know nothing else than multihulls. :-)

Look at these pictures... and you will understand, that I am right:
Sailing Catamarans and Trimarans – History of Multihulls Part 2 | YachtPals.com

Its all about passion and steadily learning. :-)

Its fascinating to read about the pioneers of multihull sailing...
A description of the OutRig! multihull history project

Same we can go back centuries to learn from monohull boat building. An elegant schooner, a beautiful ketch or yawl.... so many different options and preferences. There is no right or wrong.

By time you will learn what kind of boat type is the best to fit your own personally needs and to adapt to the different conditions of seas.

Enjoy it ! Its an interesting journey of discovery. But by sure there is no "right or wrong". Not Monohull or Multihull ! (Rec.. I come from monohull sailing, but I have decided to focus on Multihulls, specifically onto Trimarans. Point ! ).
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lependule View Post
I have a little experience with sailing, and I have decided to purchase a boat. choosing between a used monohull and a used catamaran, has been a problem. I wonder if there is a more difficult learning curve with one or the other.
advice , please
As Roy said, go rent each and see how you like them. Some people like bobbers, some like the stability of a multi. As evidebced by my screen name I am biased. Have fun.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:40   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You have not indicated the size boat or your budget. Are you talking day sailers or cruisers? My advice would be start small and include your wife. Rent something and see if you both like it. Repeat with different types and sizes until you get a feel for what would work for both of you. Enjoy the experience.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 13:54   #8

Boat: Niagara 35

You haven't told us enough, really. However, if we assume that you are going to use this boat to learn how to sail and how to be a competent boat owner and skipper, then for a first boat, I'd say get an older mono in the 25-30' range. It'll be surprisingly affordable and very forgiving.

Once you're ready to move up to a "forever boat," you can spend some time on larger monos and multis and make an informed decision, but I think it's tough to buy the right boat first and a cheap, forgiving, easy to sell small mono is the way to go.
Old 09-10-2015, 14:06   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Catamaran!

Go buy a used Hobie 16 and learn the right way.

If possible race some and you will see how much you know about sailing. After that, get your big boat.

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 15:28   #10

I like them both. A multihull might be more difficult or expensive to moor and haul out depending on where you live. On the other hand you could dry out a multihull on a beach if there is one available. There is a sheltered bay close to where I live with several multi hulls on swing moorings and dried out on the mud at low tide. That also restricts when they can go sailing and return. If you are going to need a travel lift to haul out, check what size it can handle and fees for hard stand. Marina berths for multihulls usually cost more as you need 2 spaces. Cost of ownership is important; to me at any rate.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 17:09   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Starting With Mono or Multi-hull?

Most all beginning sailboating classes use single-hulled boats. Take that for what it's worth.

The local maritime academy has single-hulled sailboats, as well as single-hulled motorboats and ship, but no catamarans. Take that for what it's worth.

My female companion doesn't like sailboats. They are "too close to the water." Besides, they usually offer little protection from the elements for crew occupying the cockpit. I've more than my share of the elements on sailboats.
Old 09-10-2015, 17:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Catamaran!

Go buy a used Hobie 16 and learn the right way.
Boat on a trampoline! Trust you're not over 30-something years old.
Old 09-10-2015, 17:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

My female companion doesn't like sailboats. They are "too close to the water." Besides, they usually offer little protection from the elements for crew occupying the cockpit. I've more than my share of the elements on sailboats.
Long-time sailboaters look old for their age. Assuming you don't smoke or sun bathe, don't do it for more than 15 years.
Old 09-10-2015, 17:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
If you are married, a best guess is a catamaran. the wives seem to "lean" toward not leaning

or Tri (Roy)
Some wives need sexual heeling!
LeLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 18:43   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Long-time sailboaters look old for their age. Assuming you don't smoke or sun bathe, don't do it for more than 15 years.

Yet most power boater's were sailors that got to old to sail......I wonder how old they look.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull