Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 13:37   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Standing rigging help

Hi all,
A sailing friend in Indonesia is rebuilding an old Command 10 and should replace his 18+ year old standing rigging. He is concerned about local quality for the rigging.
Any suggestions for where he could get the wires made up within the country? Or where he should buy the raw wire, fittings etc.

Many thanks,

Martyn
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 14:10   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Standing rigging help

If no one comes thru with a good in country recommendation then, he should check with a reputable rigging company that does a lot of International shipping, like Sailing Services (Ft Lauderdale, no affiliation).

Im finishing up a full re-rig, including new roller furler (ouch). For expediencey, went with FedEx cargo for shipping (at Sailing Services' commercial rate). Total shipping costs were less than 10% of all rigging hardware cost (and thats quite a bit of bulk and weight).

He should also get familiar with Customs duties and procedures in his area. In some places, the duties alone could make importation a deal breaker.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:09   #3

Boat: Mahe 36

Thank you.
As the boat’s an older Farrier design (pre Corsair), and not knowing his ultimate designs on the rebuild ie, what he plans to do with it, my thought would be to suggest a call to Corsair in Vietnam. I doubt that they would be rude and might perhaps even be helpful.

Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 16:42   #4

Thats probably a good start. Or he could re rig with dyneema and put it in his, or a visitors, luggage. 😆
Old 20-01-2018, 16:46   #5

Boat: Panda 38 & Pacific Seacraft Orion, that's two too many ;)

Rolly Tasker can do all of the rigging - email them they do a lot more than just sails - they are in Thailand. See this link for more info: http://www.rollytasker.com/
Old 20-01-2018, 17:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatross View Post
Rolly Tasker can do all of the rigging - email them they do a lot more than just sails - they are in Thailand. See this link for more info: http://www.rollytasker.com/
Interesting, didnt know they did rigging too...and judging from their web site, in a big way too!
Old 23-01-2018, 03:33   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Hi all,
A sailing friend in Indonesia is rebuilding an old Command 10 and should replace his 18+ year old standing rigging. He is concerned about local quality for the rigging.
Any suggestions for where he could get the wires made up within the country? Or where he should buy the raw wire, fittings etc.

Many thanks,

Martyn
Maybe he wants to consider converting to synthetic dyneema rigging?

Not necessarily cheaper , but easy to source from reputable companies that ship worldwide for DIY.

Could be all synthetic with deadeyes and lashings, or just replacing the wire with dyneema using terminals from e.g. bluewave.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 06:23   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Unfortunately, the wire that Rolly Tasker uses is crap, or at least it was when I was last there in 2013. A better option is David at the Boat Lagoon just down the way. If I were re-rigging a smaller tri I would definitely go Dyneema. You might have him give John Franta a call at Colligo Marine.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 07:27   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Unfortunately, the wire that Rolly Tasker uses is crap, or at least it was when I was last there in 2013. A better option is David at the Boat Lagoon just down the way. If I were re-rigging a smaller tri I would definitely go Dyneema. You might have him give John Franta a call at Colligo Marine.
Why do you believe their wire is crap? They made sails for my previous boat and I was quite happy with them. I've been in their rigging department, it's a fairly serious setup. The guy in charge seemed very professional.
Not being argumentative, would just like to know your reasoning.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 06:08   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Why do you believe their wire is crap? They made sails for my previous boat and I was quite happy with them. I've been in their rigging department, it's a fairly serious setup. The guy in charge seemed very professional.
Not being argumentative, would just like to know your reasoning.
I too have been very happy with the sails I had made at RT and I agree that the rigging shop is indeed as impressive as the loft. However, I had them make up a diamond stay that rusted inside of 6 months. At the same time I bought a length of 14mm wire for my seagull striker. When I went to put the mechanical end fittings on I noticed that one of the strands was very irregular, full of pits and grooves throughout the entire length, definitely compromising the strength of the wire. I brought it back to the rigger at RT and he said that those were "cosmetic marks from dragging the wire on the ground". I was amazed and amused that a professional rigger could say that and pointed out that the "marks" extended halfway through the strand which spiraled around the entire length of the wire. I also pointed out that the wire left on his spool was also defective. He shrugged and gave me my money back.

RT is a fantastic resource for anyone doing rigging work in Phuket, but, at least at that time, their wire source was suspect. Things may have changed since then (2013) but at that time the only place to get quality wire was through David at the Boat Lagoon. When I got some replacement wire from him he showed me a pile of rusty wire in his shop that had been removed from boats that had used the wire from RT.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging