Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 08:13   #376
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Let me know in 10 to 15 years when you are ready to sell so I can sell my house and buy your boat

After watching all the videos, if I would purchase new St Francis, I would just tell them to replicate wayfinder


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
gixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 09:03   #377
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: St. Francis 50
Posts: 193
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer View Post
Let me know in 10 to 15 years when you are ready to sell so I can sell my house and buy your boat

After watching all the videos, if I would purchase new St Francis, I would just tell them to replicate wayfinder


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Heh. In 10 to 15 years, the boats will be even better. I'm sure electric propulsion will be more common then. Or at least a hybrid or one of each. Everything is getting better with these boats.

But I take your comments as just high compliments, and I appreciate that.
__________________

__________________
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 01:02   #378
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: St. Francis 50
Posts: 193
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Here's the post about Wayfinder's audio system:

The Music of Wayfinder - The Wayfinder - Hugh C. Howey

The wedge they made for the left speaker was a brilliant little touch.
__________________
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 03:16   #379
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

What kind of route you are planning to do? Just Caribbean or circumnavigation?

What I have understood is that you will keep on writing while sailing so it shouldn't be a problem to sail years to come


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
gixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 04:04   #380
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: St. Francis 50
Posts: 193
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer View Post
What kind of route you are planning to do? Just Caribbean or circumnavigation?

What I have understood is that you will keep on writing while sailing so it shouldn't be a problem to sail years to come
Circumnavigation. But I'm open to being distracted. If I'm having too much fun, I might not move on.

I'm going to keep writing, but I'm effectively retired. I don't need to write, except as something I really enjoy doing.
__________________
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:25   #381
Marine Service Provider
 
beiland's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL, Thailand
Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Posts: 1,142
Vinyl Flooring on a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
If I could walk every boater in the world through this boat, vinyl flooring would become the #1 choice in every anchorage and marina. It's the best stuff I've ever seen or walked on.
I'll have to look back for that flooring posting(s) for a review.

I would have a few questions after you get on the water. The reason being that I have a vinyl flooring applied over a concrete floor in my 'fla room' here in St Augustine. While doing a thorough cleaning of that room with lots of water on the floor, I subsequently dried that floor completely and then discovered it wet the next morning. I dried it all up, and then found it wet the next morning. This went on for 4-5 days.

At first I thought it might have something to do with an absence of a proper vapor barrier under the concrete slab, but I have come to the conclusion that the water penetrated thru the seams of the flooring and apparently was absorbed by the 'backing' on the flooring. It then proceeded to release that moisture slowly over a period of days, and let it migrate back to the surface.

That would not be a good feature on a vessel. I hope you do not experience this. Do you have details on the vinyl flooring you utilized? I do not imaging all of the 'backing materials' are totally closed-cell materials?
__________________
Brian Eiland
distinctive exploration yachts
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:27   #382
Marine Service Provider
 
beiland's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL, Thailand
Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
You do understand, don't you, that by international convention, illuminating underwater lights on a sailing vessel in any anchorage with other sailing vessels present, indicates that all within sight are invited aboard and YOU provide the libations? Thanks in advance.
Dave
Break out the margaritas
__________________
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:49   #383
Marine Service Provider
 
beiland's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL, Thailand
Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Posts: 1,142
Hydraulic Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
They just do a good job of scaring you out of galley up and hydraulic steering and other things that aren't as bad as they make them out to be (in fact, are often better than the alternatives).
I am not a big fan of hydraulic steering as I feel it eliminates (or severely inhibits) the 'feed-back' you get with a mechanical linkage. The power multiplier of most hydraulic systems makes it difficult to determine the force being applied to the rudders to steer the boat. That in turn can give you a false sense as to whether you have your sails trimmed for the best 'balance'. This in turn can make your autopilot work overtime.

At one time I seem to remember a hydraulic steering system that utilized lower pressure/big diameter lines that resulted in less 'power multiplier' effect (in fact I think there was no 'pump' in that system). That said, I don't know the current state of what's available?
__________________
Brian Eiland
distinctive exploration yachts
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:06   #384
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: St. Francis 50
Posts: 193
Re: Hydraulic Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I am not a big fan of hydraulic steering as I feel it eliminates (or severely inhibits) the 'feed-back' you get with a mechanical linkage. The power multiplier of most hydraulic systems makes it difficult to determine the force being applied to the rudders to steer the boat. That in turn can give you a false sense as to whether you have your sails trimmed for the best 'balance'. This in turn can make your autopilot work overtime.

At one time I seem to remember a hydraulic steering system that utilized lower pressure/big diameter lines that resulted in less 'power multiplier' effect (in fact I think there was no 'pump' in that system). That said, I don't know the current state of what's available?
I hope I'm only touching the steering wheel when I'm lowering or raising anchor. The autopilot will do 99% of the steering. I'm more into cruising the world than pure sailing. As much as I love sailing, I'll probably rent a laser in port when I get the urge.

But we all have different reasons for going out. I looked at the Outremers and was seriously considering getting one, but the whole tiller thing was a turnoff for me, not a positive feature. As are all the boats with the helm out in the elements so you can see the tell-tails and tweak for the last fraction of a knot and "feel the boat" and all that. I love that people are into that, but I'm just trying to get to the next pretty island without paying for fuel.

I do hear your point about telling if the boat is overpowered. You can also just see if she rounds up severely.
__________________
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:09   #385
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: St. Francis 50
Posts: 193
Re: Vinyl Flooring on a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
I'll have to look back for that flooring posting(s) for a review.

I would have a few questions after you get on the water. The reason being that I have a vinyl flooring applied over a concrete floor in my 'fla room' here in St Augustine. While doing a thorough cleaning of that room with lots of water on the floor, I subsequently dried that floor completely and then discovered it wet the next morning. I dried it all up, and then found it wet the next morning. This went on for 4-5 days.

At first I thought it might have something to do with an absence of a proper vapor barrier under the concrete slab, but I have come to the conclusion that the water penetrated thru the seams of the flooring and apparently was absorbed by the 'backing' on the flooring. It then proceeded to release that moisture slowly over a period of days, and let it migrate back to the surface.

That would not be a good feature on a vessel. I hope you do not experience this. Do you have details on the vinyl flooring you utilized? I do not imaging all of the 'backing materials' are totally closed-cell materials?
I've had this flooring in my home, which had a pool, a dog, and two frequently dripping adults in it. Never saw an issue. The adhesive is supposed to be water impermeable. I'll let you know if it isn't.

I would think a bad spill would be just as awful on wood floors and subflooring. I hope not to have that much water ingress.
__________________
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:12   #386
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Laboe - Germany
Posts: 443
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Quote:
The power multiplier of most hydraulic systems makes it difficult to determine the force being applied to the rudders to steer the boat. That in turn can give you a false sense as to whether you have your sails trimmed for the best 'balance'.
If you have an instrument showing the rudder position (and 99.9% of all installations with hydraulic steering have one because otherwise you would be really lost) you can take this as a very good indicator if the boat is trimmed right.

Regards,

Carsten
__________________
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:44   #387
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: Vinyl Flooring on a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
I've had this flooring in my home, which had a pool, a dog, and two frequently dripping adults in it. Never saw an issue. The adhesive is supposed to be water impermeable. I'll let you know if it isn't.

I would think a bad spill would be just as awful on wood floors and subflooring. I hope not to have that much water ingress.
We have used 'Flotex' carpet for years on board - only succumbs to acid or bleach. Its waterproof, hard wearing and very comfortable underfoot. It is commonly used in mredical facilities...... & is where I first came across it.
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 10:08   #388
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Regarding the hydraulic steering, if you take a look at the thread 'upgrades to helia 44'. The op changed his steering from cable to hydraulic and is very impressed with the result. I believe his system has an adjustable 'feel' device that allows him to get the desired settings. Details are in his post.
Hugh, you must feel like a rat running around flicking dopamine switches right now. Enjoy getting to know Wayfinder before and after launch!
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 10:46   #389
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: So Cal
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 943
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
Circumnavigation. But I'm open to being distracted. If I'm having too much fun, I might not move on.

I'm going to keep writing, but I'm effectively retired. I don't need to write, except as something I really enjoy doing.
I hope you keep writing. I'll keep reading.
__________________
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 12:05   #390
pbr
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

A big improvement for the steering system would be a cross bar between the rudders, this would improve the reliability of the system, simplify it, allow Ackerman steering setup and redundant autopilots. I would drive one side with cable/quadrant, or direct linkage like the Mamba system not hydraulics which have little feedback, and are difficult to repair underway when they fail.
__________________

__________________
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: "Santa Cruz Sails" 26' 8" x 24' 10" x 15' 3" Genoa Cut Sail Joy Devlin Classifieds Archive 0 19-06-2012 17:22
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25
Saint Francis Owners Unite RandyAbernethy Multihull Sailboats 1 21-03-2007 17:47
The secret voyages of Sir Francis Drake Brent Swain The Library 1 14-02-2007 14:39
lost it to Francis wannasail Monohull Sailboats 11 09-01-2005 09:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.