Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 15:00   #1

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
Squeaky daggerboard

Just wondering if anyone has a solution to a squeaky daggerboard keeping us awake at night. Only squeaks when it's down but we need to sleep during passages and in tight anchorages where we need to have it down to make sure we only swing with the current, in line with the other boats. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:23   #2

Re: Squeaky daggerboard

Raise it! At least when you're anchored. It would be pretty much impossible to get your boat to swing exactly in tune with every other boat anyway.

All those other boats aren't always going to swing the same way at the same time either. You really need to allow swinging room.

On passage - well....again - raise it! You should only be using the boards when sailing to windward. If you do happen to be sailing to windward at night, maybe just make do with one board for the night. Use the windward board, and sleep in the leeward hull.

You could also try fitting marine carpet around the board in the case, if there's room. But you'd need to dry out or slip the boat to get to the bottom of the case.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:38   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Do you even need boards if motoring nearly 100% of the time?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:44   #4

Yeah, good point. You'd think the noise of the motors would drown out the squeaks anyway.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:59   #5

Probably need some board to motor more than 100% of the time…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 13-07-2015, 01:02   #6

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Motor is used for entering and leaving port and not much else - we like sailing, not burning fuel. Not sure why a thread like this would attract comments like that, but anyway... As all of you experts would know, daggerboard lowered helps to minimise leeward drift and point higher when sailing so I just thought someone out there more experienced than us might have come up with a technical solution beyond just keeping daggerboards raised. Thanks again in advance for any assitance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 04:25   #7

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Motor is used for entering and leaving port and not much else - we like sailing, not burning fuel. Not sure why a thread like this would attract comments like that, but anyway... As all of you experts would know, daggerboard lowered helps to minimise leeward drift and point higher when sailing so I just thought someone out there more experienced than us might have come up with a technical solution beyond just keeping daggerboards raised. Thanks again in advance for any assitance.

+1 on what 44 says. As for the later comments, they were not directed at you, it was between them based on another silly thread that has been running. I am sorry but the solution really is to keep them raised. Since you indicate you may be a bit new to the dagger board thing I want to share my experience as I get the feeling you are using the boards way more than necessary. The ONLY time you need the dagger boards is sailing super tight on the wind in super light conditions. Yes, once she reaches 8 knots you will be on rails and not need them. And if you are off the wind any more than 60 degrees or so you need to embrace the drift as it will bring you more apparent wind and therefore more speed.
As for being at anchor and trying to have your cat dance in tune to other boats I have found the dagger boards to have minimal effect on that.

Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 04:26   #8

Sorry, it was a carryover from another thread that 44CC and I were active on. It seems some mono sailors claim that all catamarans motor 100% of the time, and 44CC took up the challenge to motor more than 100% of the time.

Neither of us think you motor all the time.

I have seen small wedges used before to keep boards from rattling/thumping. They fall out when the board is raised (tie them to something), but need to be removed before lowering the board any further once they are in.

Mark

Old 13-07-2015, 07:35   #9

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Several years ago I found that a bucket off the stern as a drogue at anchor gives the same swing as the monohulls.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 09:47   #10

As 44 said, Marine carpet glued to the inside of dagger board case, one strip at the bottom and one at the top. Got to clean the case first though and have dry access to the bottom exit. Also once used a ring of carpet around the board itself near the top, acted like a syringe plunger and worked well, keep the car really clean too but had to be replaced every 6 months or so.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 09:53   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Earplugs???

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 10:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
As 44 said, Marine carpet glued to the inside of dagger board case, one strip at the bottom and one at the top. Got to clean the case first though and have dry access to the bottom exit. Also once used a ring of carpet around the board itself near the top, acted like a syringe plunger and worked well, keep the car really clean too but had to be replaced every 6 months or so.

Wow, that's a lot of tolerance. I put three coats of regular bottom paint on mine and could not get it back in. Had to remove the paint and use the spray can bottom paint instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-07-2015, 12:00   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

We raise ours at night, but friends with a daggerboard cat swear by running a line between the boards with some tension on it to keep them from knocking around. Makes a good clothesline as well.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:12   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Soft rubber wedge between board and deck opening?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 12:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
We raise ours at night, but friends with a daggerboard cat swear by running a line between the boards with some tension on it to keep them from knocking around. Makes a good clothesline as well.

And would make a good trip line for intruders at night.