Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 19:15   #91

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Corrie View Post
As boatguy 30 said seriously what were you doing in the coral sea in the cyclone season. If you cant handle 3-4m seas and 35kts you should stick to sailing inshore. A few simple questions need to be asked here. If you were crossing oceans why did you not have a storm jib and trysail? Why is it you went to sea with a yacht that wasnt water tight? Why did you not have a proper manual pump that could shift serious amounts of water? If your boat is still floating why arent you on it? I think you need to learn a few basic seamanship skills before you head off again.
Minx was built in 2007 Minx after which she left offshore for the Pacific islands in 2008. I believe she was finally returning to Australia in Dec 2011 when the unfortunate incident occurred.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 00:35   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
30 seconds to analyse that a lightly built coastal cruiser that leaks like a seive might have problems when crossing some serious water. Does it really take all of 30 seconds (yes, that was despair ).

An expensive way to learn a lesson.
I inspected and test sailed this boat shortly after launch. You may have cause to challenge design and seamanship. I don't know. But I can tell you that there was nothing shoddy or lightly built about the build. I can give you the builders phone number if you like, I am sure he would be interested in your views.

That boat was built to plan and beautifully so. Pick on the desinger if you think you have the qualifications, but I think its grossly unfair to pick on the builder.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 00:37   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Here's a picture of the engine access hatch location on the stern steps.
I'm not sure if it matters how waterproof or how tight you dog down these hatches , eventually you will have to open them in a seaway to maybe check the oil or bleed an injector. Then the fun really starts. If the engine compartment doesn't flood or one isn't swept off the back I'll be surprised.

Surely there's consumer protection against such poor design.

Regards
I agree in part. I have not be a fan of external access to engines for the reasons you mention. Unless its on a larger boat, e.g.the Lightwave 45 which has excellent access from the exterior. As for consumer protection for such poor design, I think thats a bit silly really. Have you spoken with Craig? Give him a call - get his view and share your knowledge with him.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 01:45   #94

For those interested here is a link to a "test" sail report. The word " test' is used with tongue planted firmly in cheek as it comes across as the typical powder puff swooning advertorial.

See......esprit-marine.com/Reviews_files/Multihull%20World%202007%2011-12.pdf

Regards
Old 26-01-2012, 03:08   #95

Boat: Chamberlin Custom 11.8metres

Im still waiting for some feedback on our accident Of senders over 12 months ago here's hoping ????????
rodcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:12   #96

Boat: Chamberlin Custom 11.8metres

Im still waiting for some feedback on our accident Of wendera over 12 months ago here's hoping ????????
rodcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 03:51   #97

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Some of the best designs can be easily copied from other cats, eg engine access.
Looking at the setup here i suggest it may be a good idea to copy the lightwave,lagoon etc setup that works well.
Sad situation, must have been pretty terifying too.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 04:08   #98

Jon, sorry to hear of the loss of Minx but glad to hear that you are alive and well and that all involved can get on with their lives.

Regarding the discussion about the sailing conditions at the time I believe it is best left to the skipper to share his experiences with us all down the track. No doubt
he is still coming to grips with the emotional side of the events but the reality of loosing his boat and home.

I was fortunate enough to see Minx getting built and other 380s on the Sunshine Coast. This was one of the reasons I decided to build one. I was fortunate to meet up with three other 380 builders and during our build time we have shared suggestions and become good friends. One of these suggestions, about two years ago was the issue of leaking hatches. This matter was resolved with the fitting of proper hatches, large drains and the access to the engine room from the bridgedeck. It also allowed for the removal of the engine and saildrive.

Regarding the size of the engines, this is a personal choice. I decided to fit Yanmar 3YM30C diesels with 80 amp alternators over the existing Nanni 21hp diesels. Other personal changes have been four diesel tanks totalling 320 litres with water capacity of 400 litres. I have also decreased the height of the front widows regarding the issue of sunlight. Regarding rig height, I was going to go with the shorter cruising rig but have decided to stay with the standard rig and probably reduce the main sail area by 9 sq metres after discussions with my sailmaker. Again, a personal choice.

I have sailed on two 380s, the owners having shared their experiences with us previously. Both boats are a joy to sail and have reassuared me that the 380 meets my selection criteria of: safety, sailing ability, comfort, afforadibility and the ability to get into the many shallow anchorages along the Queensland coast.

Regards
S.V. Sonora
sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:40   #99

Boat: Hanse 495

A bit of sailor's superstition maybe? Our cat, an almost new electric Fastcat 445, caught fire and burnt out on 20 Dec 2011 in Richards Bay marina, SA. Almost (if not exactly on the same date taking time differences into account). Her name: Sea Minx. Maybe these boats were jinxed.
Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 09:50   #100
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

The 'Minx Jinx'? Sorry to hear of your loss, Lammert, but welcome to CF. Has the follow-up investigation determined a cause for your unfortunate fire?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:15   #101

Boat: Hanse 495

The insurance investigator has concluded that the fire was started by a faulty battery trickle charger. The charger was used at the time to charge the genny starter battery which was flat.
Our boat was a 'fully fledged' electric diesel/hybrid boat with retractable electric/hydraulic engines under the bridge deck.
Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 12:57   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Here's a picture of the engine access hatch location on the stern steps.
I'm not sure if it matters how waterproof or how tight you dog down these hatches , eventually you will have to open them in a seaway to maybe check the oil or bleed an injector. Then the fun really starts. If the engine compartment doesn't flood or one isn't swept off the back I'll be surprised.

Surely there's consumer protection against such poor design.

Regards
Can you give us a list of cats you consider to be well designed? I'm sure we'd all love to learn from your expertise.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:20   #103

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Can you give us a list of cats you consider to be well designed? I'm sure we'd all love to learn from your expertise.
So you're saying that engine access being on the transom steps is a good design for a sea-going boat?

Actually, the question in my mind is whether the designer intended this boat to go to sea (as opposed to sheltered, coastal). If so, then I sure think the transom step access is a poor idea due to access issues in bad weather, even if they didn't leak. If not, then it's not a bad design, just being used outside of its original design envelope.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 14:57   #104

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

i am far from an expert on any level, but ask any roof plumber for a design and they will give you one in about 2 minutes that works,its not that difficult.
Have a look at the lip setup here and the rubber seal,its works great and its simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laggon 440 015.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	36489   Click image for larger version

Name:	laggon 440 071.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	36490  

dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 16:11   #105
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I inspected and test sailed this boat shortly after launch. You may have cause to challenge design and seamanship. I don't know. But I can tell you that there was nothing shoddy or lightly built about the build. I can give you the builders phone number if you like, I am sure he would be interested in your views.

That boat was built to plan and beautifully so. Pick on the desinger if you think you have the qualifications, but I think its grossly unfair to pick on the builder.
I have no reason to doubt that the builder followed the plans exactly - but that doesn't mean it wasn't lightly built.

In my (Unqualified ) opinion a 38 foot boat in moderately bad weather shouldn't be leaking like a seive to the point it needs to be abandoned - but I appreciate that more qualified people may have different opinions on that or have a greater appetite for risk than me (I can't swim).

But, at the end of the day, not my money and not my life.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral sea