Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 16:46   #151
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Posts: 1,616
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Thanks for the piccy,

I am going to have to change my wave height guestimation,

Bloke on the deck is 2 metres, Deck is two metres above the water. = 4 metres.

I would have called that a 2 metre chop, If that is what every one calls 3 to 4 metres,

What size were the waves, I was actually sailing in, Now thats a scary thought,

Some of my waves were above the top spreader, I guessed 10 metres,

A lot of my waves were 5 to 7 metres, Sounds definately like I underestimated them if those are 3 to 4 metres,

5 metres on the nose. boat at about 70 degrees, No wonder I was having a hard time,

Cheers,
Brian,
__________________

__________________
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:47   #152
Registered User
 
Ozbullwinkle's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Caringbah, Sydney, Australia
Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Posts: 602
Images: 16
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by irc-racer View Post
image attached doing the rounds, taken during the rescue. mild conditions, boat looks fine, genoa furled away neatly, mainsail tucked away in sailcover, storm jib is on inner forestay but not up??? boat floating fine??? hardly looks like a situation requiring abandomnent.
One of the issues that the owner of Minx reported in the initial post was that the sails were so damaged that they could not sail.

So, if this photo is proved to be genuine and was taken during the rescue then one would think that there would be more and possibly video as well then there is every likelihood that Minx will be found and hopefully reunited with the owner.
__________________

__________________
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:55   #153
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
One of the issues that the owner of Minx reported in the initial post was that the sails were so damaged that they could not sail.

So, if this photo is proved to be genuine and was taken during the rescue then one would think that there would be more and possibly video as well then there is every likelihood that Minx will be found and hopefully reunited with the owner.

It would be great to see the boat recovered and reunited with owner. I just cannot understand why a storm jib can be seen on deck ready to go but could not be used to get out of trouble? It sounds like the bigger issue was the boat taking on water and the threat of much worse weather coming that led to the decision to abondon ship. One can only assume they had been using the storm jib for a while already and just decided they had had enough, the boat was "sinking" and the threat of worse weather coming was too much to handle.
__________________
irc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:23   #154
Registered User
 
Gene :^)'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Posts: 222
In that photo above it has a sea anchor deployed off a bridle on the bow.

-----------

Gene :^)
Http://www.Strathbelle.com/
__________________
Gene :^)

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:13   #155
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
In that photo above it has a sea anchor deployed off a bridle on the bow.
Having used one in a 50knot 12 hour blow going to New Cal on a 30ft cat, with larger waves than shown, I am surprised you would abandon.

Once the parachute was deployed all seemed very calm (in comparison) and we sat out in the cockpit having a few drinks as the sun went down, had a hot meal and a restful sleep ready for the next day.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:34   #156
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

and what about bailing out. I remember as a kid bailing out my sabot when it got water in it ... there must have been bilge pumps, even buckets!, a spare hose to syphen water out with, plug holes with bungs and cloths, seal off sections you were ok to let fill with water, etc. Keep boat afloat, sit out storm, put storm sail back up, or even wait for a tow back to shore (maybe a bit hard here, they were a long way out)... so many other options though.
__________________
irc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:34   #157
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 340
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by irc-racer View Post
image attached doing the rounds, taken during the rescue. mild conditions, boat looks fine, genoa furled away neatly, mainsail tucked away in sailcover, storm jib is on inner forestay but not up??? boat floating fine??? hardly looks like a situation requiring abandomnent.
Welcome to the forum irc racer. Nice first post? Can you tell us what the posted image is doing the" rounds" of? An office or a boat shed maybe?

I notice the OP stated " Yes unless Minx has been hit by a ship or run on a reef she should be afloat with her stern under water to the bridge deck."

Is anyone else thinking we haven't heard the full story yet.?

Regards
__________________
cat skin hat
catty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:28   #158
Registered User
 
Cookiesa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 51
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Wow.. With the sterns so low in the water I can see why they abandoned.......... So low they didn't bother to reduce the weight near the stern.....

Fenders are nicely set up ready for rescue though, I could understand perhaps off loading crew for safety, if there was a passing vessel but those conditions, as pictured, with the vessel (assuming it is of course the veseel) hardly suggest life threatening. There was No cyclone, a possible one might develop in a system south of them heading in a south east direction within the next 24 hours (granted that can change quickly, very rare they then head north again though)
__________________
Launceston,Tasmania, Australia
Building 25ft Ray Kendrick Catamaran
19ft Twin Keel Restoration... Design Unknown
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:53   #159
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Welcome to the forum irc racer. Nice first post? Can you tell us what the posted image is doing the" rounds" of? An office or a boat shed maybe?

I notice the OP stated " Yes unless Minx has been hit by a ship or run on a reef she should be afloat with her stern under water to the bridge deck."

Is anyone else thinking we haven't heard the full story yet.?

Regards
an office, a boatshed, the whole marine industry, the owner's and crew's friends, all their friends... I brought the image to this forum to simply highlight the fact that we can sometimes rightly so blame the designers, builders, riggers, sailmakers, suppliers, etc., but there also needs to be the owner/skipper's and crew's responsibility to make informed safe decisions about the boat and their sailing plans and their need to maintain their boat to a standard applicable for their intended plans. Not to mention this thing called "seamanship"....
__________________
irc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 20:03   #160
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
I notice the OP stated " Yes unless Minx has been hit by a ship or run on a reef she should be afloat with her stern under water to the bridge deck."

Is anyone else thinking we haven't heard the full story yet.?

Regards
...Yep
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 20:07   #161
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 340
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by irc-racer View Post
an office, a boatshed, the whole marine industry, the owner's and crew's friends, all their friends... I brought the image to this forum to simply highlight the fact that we can sometimes rightly so blame the designers, builders, riggers, sailmakers, suppliers, etc., but there also needs to be the owner/skipper's and crew's responsibility to make informed safe decisions about the boat and their sailing plans and their need to maintain their boat to a standard applicable for their intended plans. Not to mention this thing called "seamanship"....
Thanks irc, yes, the design is only half the equation. Seamanship is often forgotten. Still doesn't excuse the engine hatch design/location.

By the way I haven't managed to locate that image on the net, so I'm thinking its from an AMSA FOI request. Any chance of you posting the video. Also can you shed any light on the Kangaroo Island S380 capsize.?

Regards
__________________
cat skin hat
catty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 20:24   #162
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Thanks irc, yes, the design is only half the equation. Seamanship is often forgotten. Still doesn't excuse the engine hatch design.

By the way I haven't managed to locate that image on the net, so I'm thinking its from an AMSA FOI request. Any chance of you posting the video. Also can you shed any light on the Kangaroo Island S380 capsize.?

Regards
sorry I don't have a video, the image originally came from Jo and Jon of Minx themselves and I was on a long line of forwarded email recipients. Don't know anything about the S380 capsize at Kangaroo Island.
__________________
irc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:51   #163
Registered User
 
Ozbullwinkle's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Caringbah, Sydney, Australia
Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Posts: 602
Images: 16
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post

Is anyone else thinking we haven't heard the full story yet.?

Regards
Exactly and hopefully the owner of Minx will be up to posting his full account, that he said he would do, in the near future which should clarify a lot of things.

The photo posted by irc-racer does not match the description of the condition of the sails on Minx as described by the owner in the initial post which said they were so severely damaged that they could not sail with them.

So, I am just waiting to hear the full story from those who were on board Minx.
__________________
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 23:47   #164
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 523
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Exactly and hopefully the owner of Minx will be up to posting his full account, that he said he would do, in the near future which should clarify a lot of things.

The photo posted by irc-racer does not match the description of the condition of the sails on Minx as described by the owner in the initial post which said they were so severely damaged that they could not sail with them.

So, I am just waiting to hear the full story from those who were on board Minx.
As the OP said "I will post an account leeding to the resque when we feel up to it David.
I do intend to write the whole story for pubilcation in the near future. "
If i was the OP having suffered the probable loss of boat and some of the posts, i would not publish it here, which will be our loss. I think that some of us may be reading information in to the photo that may not be there and for our own personal agends.
__________________
2 Dogs
justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 23:53   #165
Registered User
 
Cookiesa's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 51
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

The OP can very quickly clear that up with a one line message, yes that's us or Nope, wrong vessel, different occasion etc
__________________

__________________
Launceston,Tasmania, Australia
Building 25ft Ray Kendrick Catamaran
19ft Twin Keel Restoration... Design Unknown
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral sea

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost at Sea from S/V 'Triple Stars' Dreaming Yachtsman Seamanship & Boat Handling 143 18-09-2013 04:51
Spirited 380 ausaviator Multihull Sailboats 62 07-01-2013 20:53
Spirited 380 Build cat49 Multihull Sailboats 13 20-11-2011 22:51
Not Lost at Sea Yet Charlie Health, Safety & Related Gear 11 05-09-2011 15:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.