Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 12:39   #1

Boat: Boatless
Spinnaker question.

I have a good condition symmetrical Spinnaker star shape on my Searunner 31 trimaran. Problem is I sail solo and I don't use it. I'm considering using the sail with the ATN Tacker or getting an asymmetrical Spinnaker or a screecher which I guess is just about the same thing as an asymmetrical.

I'd like to get some opinions as to what is the better wait for me to go.

Thanks. Jim

The Tacker | No Boom Spinnaker Handler | ATN Sailing Equipment
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 05:35   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Spinnaker question.

Why not keep the symmetrical, get an ATN sock for it and simply run the foreguys through blocks on the bows of your amas? You would not need a pole and all the attendant strings. I have no problem flying the spinnaker singlehanded on our cat using this arrangement. Spinnakers are silly easy to run on multihulls. We carry 2 as it seems we use the spinnaker more than any other sail and don't want to be left without if we blow one up. Last week we had a great run in 18-20 knots with gusts to 27.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 01:24   #3

Mikereed
Sounds ok for a dead run but how do you get the tack near the bow to run shy ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 04:08   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

On a 31’ the spinnaker is very smal and easy to handle. You dont need sock or furling
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 04:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Mikereed
Simply ease the windward sheet and guy while taking in the leeward. The chute will rotate around. Doing this we are able to sail up 90 to 100 AWA with the spinnaker.

Old 16-12-2017, 17:59   #6

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Mike read has the right of it. The guys to the ama bows with blocks on the end, I use snatch blocks. When pointing high the sheet guy is off and the tack is positioned with the windward guy and sheet, it can even be set past the forestay, unlike a pole. Very rarely I run a line from the tack to the main hull bow when ghosting high. The sock makes it easy to set and take down. The beauty of this system is you don't even collapse the chute jibing as you use both guys and sheets to put it where you want it. A flatter star cut is perfect, for cruising I'd suggest 1.5 oz to handle the higher loads.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 07:47   #7

Makes sense. Spinnaker has a chute. I already have snatch blocks on either bow plus I have to automatic spinnakers that slide down the mast (pic). I still got to go out to the amas to feed the guys.

Does seem like the Tacker is a little simpler to handle.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 18-12-2017, 07:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Makes sense. Spinnaker has a chute. I already have snatch blocks on either bow plus I have to automatic spinnakers that slide down the mast (pic). I still got to go out to the amas to feed the guys.

Does seem like the Tacker is a little simpler to handle.

Thanks for the feedback.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171214_083857737.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	160679
Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
On a 31’ the spinnaker is very smal and easy to handle. You dont need sock or furling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Mikereed
Old 18-12-2017, 08:29   #9

The thing about a symmetrical rigged as described is it is always under control, a asymmetric will spend some time flogging and won't cover the dead run angles.
Old 18-12-2017, 15:14   #10

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Just got to Tassie and used the reacher almost everyday, the symmetrical was used once (for 20 miles) and the assy never.

I love the reacher/screecher on a furler and would put any available money into a continuous furler and look out for an old lightweight genoa. Then you can sail with an autopilot from 90-160 true no worries whereas a kite requires careful attention 160-180 gets tricker with the reacher and the symmetrical is nicer.

The no hassle sailing of the reacher is priceless for long miles.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 16:55   #11

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

On our pdq we fly a symmetrical chute with blocks on the bows . On our previous pdq 27 we had 2snatch blocks and we just swapped on each gybe . On the 36 we are push 650 square feet which is too much to man handle . So we have a permanent block on each bow ,through that we run a line we call at tweaker. On one end of the teakers is a regular block and the other goes to a cleat . We run the sheet /guy through the block on the tweaker . When in the middle of the gybe the old wearher rweaker is thrown off and the new weather tweaker is hauled in ,if timed properly the chute is full all the way round . Some times we use a jib hylyard to lift the tack but not often . We can sail just above 90 if we have to but it is not efficient. We usually only do that if the next leg is also a chute run . We use a snuffer . Multi hulls love chutes
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 19:48   #12

Hey Phil, Remember a reacher does more on a fractionally rigged cat. A masthead cutter like the Searunner Jimske is sailing can put up a big light genoa as it is, Those reacher furlers are pretty pricey.
Old 19-12-2017, 05:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Hey Phil, Remember a reacher does more on a fractionally rigged cat. A masthead cutter like the Searunner Jimske is sailing can put up a big light genoa as it is, Those reacher furlers are pretty pricey.
Yes trying to use what I have. Not so "silly simple" to go out to the bows alone and insert my foreguys into the existing snatch blocks which are already set to deploy my anchor bridle.

Solution:. Tacker (reasonable cost) maybe the best way. I'm thinking I could also add another block to AMA bows and have my guys inserted, cleared off and ready to go. So hold that line could be a nuisance for occasional use.
Old 19-12-2017, 05:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Cavalier I do use my pole on the 135 Jenny and that works good enough for a cruising boat in fresh wind. My desire is to have a bigger lighter sale my desire is to have a bigger lighter sail in very light winds.
Old 19-12-2017, 08:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Yes trying to use what I have. Not so "silly simple" to go out to the bows alone and insert my foreguys into the existing snatch blocks which are already set to deploy my anchor bridle.
Lots of options here. Most people run their anchor bridles to cleats or another fixed point on the bows. This would free up your snatch blocks for your spinnaker. We too used to use snatch blocks but now use standard blocks as we keep the spinnaker sheets and guys rigged at all times and serve double duty as jacklines. The sheets/guys are simply one continuous line on each side with an alpine hitch in the middle. We attach the spinnaker clews with a soft shackle. This way, if we want to fly the chute, all we have to do is attach the halyard and sheets and off we go. No need to go to the bows as all the sail handling is done from the trampoline and cockpit.

Tags
spinnaker