Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2017, 19:55   #1

Source for Prout swim ladder?

Hi, I recently bought a Prout 33CS that does not have a swim ladder installed. Almost every other Prout I see has a folding ladder that is mounted on the rear deck and curves up and over what is essentially, the rear crossbeam and then drops down. The lower part of the ladder where it hinges is then supported by two bracket that attach to the underside of the rear deck.

I'm having trouble finding a folding gunwale ladder that will curve up and over the crossbeam and reach the deck. The crossbeam is hollow and I don't want to cut into it or blind screw into it. I'll measure tomorrow but the mounting points would need to be around 12 inches or over to make it over the gunwale/crossbeam.

I can make the lower support brackets but anyone know where to get the original ladder?

Any Prout owners mind checking their ladders for a manufacture's name?

Thanks
ssnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Source for Prout swim ladder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnick View Post
Hi, I recently bought a Prout 33CS that does not have a swim ladder installed. Almost every other Prout I see has a folding ladder that is mounted on the rear deck and curves up and over what is essentially, the rear crossbeam and then drops down. The lower part of the ladder where it hinges is then supported by two bracket that attach to the underside of the rear deck.

I'm having trouble finding a folding gunwale ladder that will curve up and over the crossbeam and reach the deck. The crossbeam is hollow and I don't want to cut into it or blind screw into it. I'll measure tomorrow but the mounting points would need to be around 12 inches or over to make it over the gunwale/crossbeam.

I can make the lower support brackets but anyone know where to get the original ladder?

Any Prout owners mind checking their ladders for a manufacture's name?

Thanks
all the steering gear, pushpits,pullpits,hand rails and ladders were built "in house" by prout engineering,according to the set of original plans that i have for my elite37.

however if you can get some good photographs from google images/internet and a few basic measurements any stainless fabricator will be able to make you one
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 13:20   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I have one of the folding ladders on a swim platform.

It's awesome (sarcastic). It bends underneath the user as there is no support for it.

In Soller, I met a french guy with a 1986 Snowgoose 34. He too had a swim platform but used a telescopic 4 step ladder. It was perfect and required no additional support other than the top two brackets.

It was one of these:

I need to change mine to something like that, as I recent had a lady struggle to get aboard.

Edit: hold on. The 34/35 doesn't really have a rear crossbeam as such. Well it does but it's just GRP.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 14:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think this is what you are refering to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proutgbr-snowgoose-37-elite-46947090152849515769515370694548x.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	154764  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:03   #5

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, that's it. I want to bolt the ladder into the deck and not the GRP crossbeam. Also, thanks for the info on Prout construction. Looks like I'll have to get creative.

I saw those telescoping ladders but am thinking they wouldn't last long being extended and retracted. I like the idea of a hinged lower section. Seems more robust to me.

If I can't find one that reaches the deck, I'll adapt one to fit.
ssnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 01:42   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Watch those folding ladders though. The plastic safety cap came off one of the poles of mine noticed by me until my brand new dinghy got underneath it and the pole put bit gouges in the PVC.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 09:18   #7

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet
Wink Re: Source for Prout swim ladder?

You need to put a stainless steel washer between the rubber and support . This prevents the support from punching through the rubber
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:33   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

When you talk 'swim ladder' I see two distinct issues. First is mounting the swim platform from the water. you need something with steps at least 3' deep. The telescoping one pictured by mikedefyslife works well, I have one. If like me you have a high freeboard, my platform is 3' below the top of the gunnel, and you are not into pullups, a second ladder or steps are needed. Because my platform folds steps are not an option so I use a removable 3 step ladder that hangs on the gunnel and is used to access the swim platform or the dinghy when the platform is raised. I see most of the one piece options as more geared for those who do not have swim platforms and it seems like they occupy a lot of space.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 23:35   #9

I have a 37' Prout and removed the central swim ladder as it was in the way all the time. With it gone, I can unload supplies easier with the dinghy partly under the aft deck or I can even drag the dinghy up on to the deck. I use the two purpose build swim ladders that extend aft over the rudders. If diving, I can easily get on by using the rudder as the first step and the little swim platform as the second step. Sometimes I turn the rudders on an angle to make it even easier.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:44   #10

Boat: Prout Quest 31

Hi,
mine is like this - no metal on, but UNDER the platform and stowed like a drawer, solidly protected by a metal security sheet.

https://www.osculati.com/SupplyImage...20new%2009.jpg
charlie.magen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:39   #11

Boat: Prout Quest 31

P.S. Costs about 150,- €, works well since mounted as far aftwards as possible under the platform, using the rear railing and davit as "help up".
charlie.magen is offline   Reply With Quote