Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 18:38   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Someone Should Buy this Boat

I can't stand it. The spousal unit won't let me have it (I thought my name was really "The Admiral" - but I guess not). It's on yachtworld.com A 2003 Lavezzi catamaran listed for $200K - in really cherry condition looks like from pics (hah I know). The coveted Owner's version! How often do one of those come up!

It's in Tortola I think. Baloo is the name.

Price just got reduced. Anyone wanting that perfect catamaran at a steal of a price should check it out and see what's going on.

Since I can't have it, thought I'd make sure somebody else knows it's out there.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:10   #2

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Sold! Can you spot me 198K? LOL

That is seriously a good looking Cat though. I wish I had the coin.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
I am a believer in overall building quality of FP. However, I know that for some reason osmosis in Lavezzi's is a much more common issue than in any other FP production. I am not saying that this specific Lavezzi has it too, but just a warning. Otherwise, she's one of the best sailing cat in FP range.

If anyone is interested, we have one 2005 or 2006 in our marina @ 200.000 € (sorry not USD), fully treated after osmosis, beatifully kept and with everything immaginable in it. (A/C, genset, inverter, heating, teak everywhere, radar, genneaker, etc..) The price was reduced recently from 250.000 to 199.000 € as the owner bought a new Orana..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47   #4

Yeloya, you are right, up and until about the end of 2004 there have been a few cases of Osmosis in the Lavezzi's, there was a problem with moisture getting into the layup during their then new infusion system, I believe that FP have put all those with it right but there could be some still lurking out there and remember FP offer 5 years guarantee and seem to honour this but a 2003 boat is out of the 5 year period.
All much newer Lavezzi's from what I have heard are 100% OK.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:21   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
I can't stand it. The spousal unit won't let me have it (I thought my name was really "The Admiral" - but I guess not). It's on yachtworld.com A 2003 Lavezzi catamaran listed for $200K - in really cherry condition looks like from pics (hah I know). The coveted Owner's version! How often do one of those come up!

It's in Tortola I think. Baloo is the name.

Price just got reduced. Anyone wanting that perfect catamaran at a steal of a price should check it out and see what's going on.

Since I can't have it, thought I'd make sure somebody else knows it's out there.
If it is Baloo of London then it has been in the TMM charter fleet on Tortola since new. That means a lot of use but well maintained so $200k looks a bit of a bargain.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
It is Baloo. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...Virgin-Islands
It's a Maestro version also. We chartered a Lavezzi from TMM last year. It really sailed well. I wouldn't be interested in the standard 4 cabin / 2 head version as the heads are too small to actually shower in. But the Maestro has a seperate shower stall - pretty nice. I'll bet this actually sells for $160k.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:52   #7

If we could get it for $160K I could probably talk the Boss into buying it. What a concept.

For some queer reason I can't understand, he's looking at Hunters right now. Is that 180 degrees apart or what? My head hurts.
Old 09-01-2009, 17:13   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Id take the Hunter......OK Im ducking now..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 00:34   #9
Kai Nui

Stillraining, I think you are just trying to steer the competition away from the FP so you can get the price down
Old 11-01-2009, 07:59   #10

For $160K, there would be a stampede of offers on Baloo. I wish they would sell it to us for $160K. Actually, I've already tried to get another broker to represent us at that price to make an offer. Got a resounding no thank you.

We have cash.

Gotta figure that boat is worth a great deal more than $160K.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:27   #11

First Mate, it won't be known for several years but I think there is going to be a big shift in sell prices for awhile. Home realtors are saying that the home market has depressed 20%, but I've purchased 9 homes now in my market all of which where for less that half their appraised value. The last home we bought had a mortgage on it for $260k and we bought it for $47k. Now to be sure, that was an unbelievable deal but the basic fact is that if you have to sell ANYTHING right now, the price is going to be low. And I would base my guess of $160k on the listing prices of Bahia's also. I've been following them for a while and there are several for less then $300k. They are x-charter boats but 6' longer then a a Lavezzi.
2002 Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

There may be lines of people who still have $200k to spend, but the willingness to spend it on a boat has to have plunged. As far as a broker not taking a valid offer - thats BS. They do the seller a disservice as they may end up for even less. As long as your willing to put 10% down to make the offer, why wouldn't they.

It would be interesting to know what banks that specialize on boats are requiring for a loan. If you need 20% for a home, what do you need for a boat?
Old 13-01-2009, 06:12   #12

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
It would be interesting to know what banks that specialize on boats are requiring for a loan. If you need 20% for a home, what do you need for a boat?
From my experience, what lenders are requiring right now is all over the charts. I called half a dozen lenders last month. I received half a dozen different answers. Some want 10% down. Some want 20%. Some want 15%. Everybody has different credit score requirements. Add to that the variety of additional not-entirely-financial restrictions (e.g., allowing live aboards, boat age and use, geographical region) and you have a recipe for a headache if looking to finance a major marine purchase. (It gave me a headache, anyway.)

The only thing everyone said was that "things will change after the first of the year." I guess it's time for me to start calling people again. Ugh.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 07:19   #13

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
We chartered an Athena 38 over Christmas and NY from conch charters in the BVI's. The worst thing about the boat to us were the mattresses were worn out. That is not the boats fault.

But the showers were barely usable. Too small. And the setup for the shower sump was terrible, you have to push a button down to run the pump. You spend more time pumping out the water than showering. If that is original design, it stinks!

The salon was very small and the settee was not comfortable. I had never slept on beds that you had to climb into from the head end, we did not like that. The boat sailed ok but the engines were weak, the boat was very underpowered IMHO with two small yanmars. I felt weak spots in the deck while walking around it would flex in spots where I feel the boat was just too thin on top.

I know the boat listed in this discussion is 2' larger so it may be a little roomier, but my impression of the FP's after staying on one for 8 days is not very good.

But we sure enjoyed our first trip to the BVI's, started out with Christmas lunch on the Willie T and ended it with a hugh lobster dinner there on New Year's Eve after diving on the Wreck of the Rhone that day. On New Years day we snorkeled at the Indians for an hour before having to head back to Roadtown to return the boat. Sad to leave but a great end to last year and start of this year.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 07:41   #14

SeaKing, I agree with your points. I'd add that the galley has no counter space and there isn't a place for a chart at the nav area (you can't really call it a "station". But what the FP Lavezzi did have was great sailing ability. We absolutely hauled in it. What a gas to sail between 9 and 10 knots in 8' rollers. What I like the most about the FP line is it's affordability for the size. The only boats that compare are the Leopard's on price and I don't personally like them as much.
Old 13-01-2009, 12:30   #15

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
And the setup for the shower sump was terrible, you have to push a button down to run the pump. You spend more time pumping out the water than showering. If that is original design, it stinks!
Hmm. That's the way I thought they were supposed to work. The Lagoon 410 I was aboard last July worked the same way. If that's the wrong way, what's the right way?
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote