Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2007, 17:34   #31

Boat: In the market
Unscientific

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmwebb
A curious thing I have noticed while cruising to a lot of far flung spots on my catamaran is that the passion of the monohull v multihull debate is inversely proportional to the offshore experience of the debaters. I've also found that most folks who go offshore in multis have also got a good deal of offshore experience in monos. And, in my unscientific survey, I've found that most are content with their multis. It has always struck me as a bit perverse that, by and large, the folks who make noise on this subject haven't got any serious sea time in small boats.

-- Tom.
I have had the same impression as you. I think in general the less experience a person has the more they will be inclined to defend their own choices when no defense is necessary.
Old 29-04-2007, 17:44   #32

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Mike, I really am sorry to have gotten all uppity. I was totally out of line. I'll just go sit quietly on the side for a while and try to learn how to read.

-- Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 17:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford
Is your Atlantic 42 a Chris white design? I really like what I have seen from him.
Yes, it is. Chris and I don't always see eye to eye, but he's a heck of a good designer and the boat has been wonderful to us.

-- Tom.
Old 29-04-2007, 22:08   #34

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
For those interested , here is a site linked to Rogntudjuuuu's sister ship, RAW NERVE.

Raw Nerve - Australia's Fastest Offshore Sailing Yacht

Dave
Attached Images

Old 30-04-2007, 00:58   #35

Thats what I'm talkin' about

What a fine piece of sailin' machine. Gotta love the speed potential. That ain't your dad's Oldsmobile.
Old 30-04-2007, 04:27   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
ROGNTUDJUUU" RECOVERY
"Rogntudjuuu" ended up on One Tree Island which is situated approx 5 miles south of Heron Island. The island is a reserve with scientific research station requiring permission just to visit. Removal of the upturned cat was top priority and the 110 ft steel work boat, "Pacific Conquest"
from Gladstone was used to pull "Rojntudjuuu" from the reef after which she was towed to the lee of the island and righted by towing the bows over the sterns. The boat was towed into Gladstone, pumped out and after very little work the engines were got going. The 15hp 4 stroke outboards are mounted inboard in wells. "Rogntuduuu" then motored
under her own steam back to Brisbane
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 10:56   #37

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Tom,

Not to worry. One of the drawbacks of the printed word is that it is very easy for irony to slip by undetected. I have to admit that I missed your quip about the pro's and con's until Robert pointed it out! By the way, I too am a fan of Chris White's designs. I think he draws the sexiest hulls in the business. How do you like the forward cockpit? I will probably be incorporating a forward "working cockpit" without seating area into my rebuild.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 11:32   #38

premiscuity

To use the incident originally cited as ammo against multis in general would be analgous to diminishing Ferraris as a car because occasionally one ends up in the wall at a race track, or damning monohulls when an Americas Cup boat breaks in half and sinks, ala Conners
Old 30-04-2007, 12:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100
How do you like the forward cockpit? I will probably be incorporating a forward "working cockpit" without seating area into my rebuild.
I like the forward cockpit. It makes particular sense for those of us who sail short handed. I can reach every winch on the boat while still holding the wheel. While tacking and jibing I have two hands for sheets and one foot for steering. Although it is not as wet as many suppose, it is exposed to the wind, water and sun. Much of the time I think of that as a benefit, but this is highly attitude dependent. If you have a large enough boat I think having both the working cockpit and an aft cockpit would be ideal. Chris is doing this on the larger Atlantic cats now and it is a feature on the Gunboats.

-- Tom.
Old 30-04-2007, 19:03   #40

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Bob Oram, another designer I admire, offers the "dual cockpit" as an option on all his boats over 38'. It's a feature I've always liked about the searunner tri's.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re the forward cockpit:
This will definitely date me, but unlimited hydroplanes used to all have the driver situated behind a big Allison or Rolls piston engine. Then came "Thriftway Too", a radical design with a longer tail for aerodynamic stability and the driver was placed ahead of the engine.

Nowadays, all drivers are forward of the engine. Maybe someday, all sailboats will be designed like that.

Steve B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thriftway Too.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Thriftway.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1120  

senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote