Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2011, 08:14   #16

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Solo Sailing Cruising Catamarans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I was hopeing to hear from bigger multihulls not a Hobie cat day sailor.
I beg your pardon? Keep those sort of coments to yourself please, this is supposed to be a friendly place.

Old 16-11-2011, 13:25   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I single-handed my mono for a decade, and over 4000 miles cruising from S.F. to Mexico, and back.

I never single-handed my cat until last month. From Golfito to the Panama Canal. It's just a mattter of thinking ahead, and acting in a timely manner. I was anywhere from motoring 3 knots to sailing with the headsail alone at over 11 knots. The auto pilot simplifies matters when reefing.......i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 23:22   #18

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I really never thought much about having 2 helms on our catamaran sence it only has a 14 ft beam but I am really starting to understand why 2 wheels or tillers would really come in handy solo sailing especially on a 20 foot beam or bigger catamaran. I'm sure if we had open ocean to sail in it would be a lot easier to solo sail with only one wheel.
Old 17-11-2011, 00:16   #19

Boat: Prior Boats: Gemini 105 and San Juan 24
Re: Solo sailing crusing Catamarans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
I do it fairly often on my MC 41. But it usually pis....es o.. (um, disappoints) the Admiral. As for tricks, I've recently gotten a new slip so have been leaving a few readily grabbable mooring lines on the dock to enable docking in unfavorable winter prevailing winds. Of course, an autopilot is essential to hold her into the wind if I'm not starting from anchor. As you found, hoisting the main while at anchore does ensure a pretty trouble free hoist. I very much enjoy anchoring and getting underway from anchor under just sail alone without even turning on the engine(s). Of course, I also know that they are still just the twist of a key available.
---

Cchesley,

You live up to your word. I've seen you hoist the main at anchor and get underway this past summer in Echo Bay, Sucia Island. Pretty impressive. You were tacking back and forth the whole way out. I chose to simply motor out, but you had my admiration. I love to see people really sail, and that's the sign of a true sailor.

Rob
Old 17-11-2011, 01:48   #20

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
---

Cchesley,

You live up to your word. I've seen you hoist the main at anchor and get underway this past summer in Echo Bay, Sucia Island. Pretty impressive. You were tacking back and forth the whole way out. I chose to simply motor out, but you had my admiration. I love to see people really sail, and that's the sign of a true sailor.

Rob
Rob good to see you here. We often talk about your boat being the desiding factor for buying our Gemini when we saw you in Eagle Harbor on Cypress Island.
I agree with being able to hoist the main sail at anchorage and would be trying to sail out of most anchorages without a motor if my wife has her way.
Old 21-11-2011, 20:55   #21

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I am retired and sailing a 44' Wharram cutter singlehanded much of the time. The handling of the boat is very much like a train on rails, it will maintain course for a while and you can make up lines, clear lines around a stay, or get that stray boathook out of the jib sheet. The main is about 375 feet with an 18' traveler. The traveler control is on the centerline and just lets out the traveler on either side. I do not have windward sheeting for the traveler car. The staysail is hanked on a stay on the foredeck, about 300 feet and sheeted to fixed turning blocks. The genoa is roller furling, 500 sq ft, and goes through a lead block on tracks. The genoa and staysail sheets come through a double sheet clutch to a single winch. I've been on boats where everything leads to the helm and you end up with a mess, and no place for additional crew to work when you have that luxury. All the sheets and running backstays are within a single step from the helm. The halyards are two steps away at the mast. I run the roller furling control line through a fairlead on the centerline and onto one of the mast winches. The main problem is snagging sheets on just about anything on deck when your tacking. When you got all the sails up, it's about 1200 sq ft and you wouldn't do that in over 20 knots. For windward work, the main and staysail work just fine. I've had them up in 25 knots. Off the wind I want to try no mainsail and just the genoa or genoa and staysail. The mainsail wants to round up the boat in gusts and when you are sailing in big waves you get on top of a wave and the boat will pivot very easily and the main can bring it around to broach when it falls off the wave. I've had smaller boats and they were hard to handle alone, but this one is easy if I don't try to do everything at once. The last time I was out there was a monohull sloop that tried to come up and finally gave up. I was of course, resetting the sails, checking the wind, and trying to get some more speed.
Old 21-11-2011, 23:04   #22

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
---

Cchesley,

Rob
That's the trouble with having the only Mainecat41 on the West Coast North of SoCal. There's no doubt who it is when I go by. Thanks for the compliment Rob.
Old 22-11-2011, 08:54   #23

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

A couple of years ago I was down at the marina and a MaineCat 41 came in and it really looked great. I went home and brought S.O. (Safety Officer, Significant Other) back to look at the boat. By that time they had hauled out and were blocked up on the hard. The owners were very busy but took the time to show us the boat inside and out. Very impressive. When I searched for it online the price was also very impressive. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:28   #24

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

i did plan to solo sail from Kiel and up to Norway , this summer, but my nabor came and wanted in for the ride,
But its not the sailing that is a challenge, its going in and out of marinas alone that is.
need a lot of planning, or help from people on land to take ropes.

Sailing is easy.

Tags
sailing, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: