Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 15:17   #1

Solid Glass Multihull

Let's get the fact that I am a novice at all of this out of the way firstly.
After reading endless accounts of problems with cored hulls, I have gravitated to looking for a multihull of solid glass below the waterline. I already know they are much heavier, less efficient, and sail like two logs strapped together with a twig in between. I don't care. What I'll spend in extra time sailing, I won't spend in time on the hard repairing the hull.
I know of the Island Packet Cat, and not much else. Suggestions on brands to investigate will be greatly appreciated, motor or sail, but sail is preferred. Note: "suggestions", not sales pitches, arguments, or mudslinging please. I'm trying to learn without being humiliated for my opinions and you guys are a tough crowd. Thanks!
Pointless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 15:27   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Solid Glass Multihull

I believe all the Deans (SAfrican) cats were built this way.

Do not agree with with your view re cored hulls however. Very few if any Aus built hulls are built without coring and they are floating. But then you do not want to here that.

Good luck.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 15:29   #3

I was told my old (TPI) Lagoon 42 was solid below the waterline.... and it certainly was at the thru hull locations.... but others have said not... so not sure. Never noticed the typical "shelving" you can see with a cored hull... but might have missed it.... personally I would avoid coring below the waterline myself... have seen a multitude of issues... but it doesnt mean you cant get a good one.
Boats I have seen with massive core issues below: C&C, CT, J boats, Celestial .....what I can remember right now.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 15:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Prouts, Cadilac, all heavy and slow. Packet is really a barge, but probably better than the english ones if that's what you want.
Old 07-12-2013, 15:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I believe all the Deans (SAfrican) cats were built this way.

Do not agree with with your view re cored hulls however. Very few if any Aus built hulls are built without coring and they are floating. But then you do not want to here that.

Good luck.
Cannot recall hearing of AUS boats with problems. Correct. Hard to get them in the states though, yes? Feel free to suggest those that you know can withstand a novice bump aground (or two). I know it's not a question of "Will I run aground?" but more like how hard and how often!
Pointless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 16:20   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Our Solaris Sunstar wasn't cored below the waterline, as well as our Edel43, Cherokee 35, Catfisher 32 and Gemini. Not sure how much weight you save having coring below the waterline, but I'm sure it's not enough to turn the boat from a performance cruiser to a barge.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 16:36   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Our Solaris Sunstar wasn't cored below the waterline, as well as our Edel43, Cherokee 35, Catfisher 32 and Gemini. Not sure how much weight you save having coring below the waterline, but I'm sure it's not enough to turn the boat from a performance cruiser to a barge.
It's a huge difference. Might be 10-20% or more in overall boat weight. I'm sure there are some engineering types here who could do the calcs. Depending on the design and size it could be well into the thousands of pounds (or "tons" as someone wrote it couldn't be).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:11   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

It's a huge difference. Might be 10-20% or more in overall boat weight. I'm sure there are some engineering types here who could do the calcs. Depending on the design and size it could be well into the thousands of pounds (or "tons" as someone wrote it couldn't be).
If done right I definitely see the benefits to a cored hull but would never have imagined it would have that much of a difference in weight. How thick would the outside and inside laminates of a cored hull be compared to a solid hull. And we are just talking below the waterline not the whole boat?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:08   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Throwing my 2c in. Some well known "solid glass " below wl boats have had a reported thickness of 3mm or so. A hard impact.on this could result in worse issues than on a properly cored hull. I have seen way many more issues with wet or delaminated cores on the decks of boat from people failing to re bed deck hardware and screw holes etc. Than core issues below wl.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:42   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointless View Post
Cannot recall hearing of AUS boats with problems. Correct. Hard to get them in the states though, yes? Feel free to suggest those that you know can withstand a novice bump aground (or two). I know it's not a question of "Will I run aground?" but more like how hard and how often!
Have heard of an Oran that hit a reef and was dragged off with min damage (CF member 44C would know). Doubt you would find one in States.

Point is well built cored hulls are not an issue. There are some USA designers that use the system. Kurt Hughes, M & M, and Chris White. Expect there are plenty others. New Alpha 42 ?

Don't rule out cored hulls.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:05   #11

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
having gone through major issues with my mono hull with core below the water line I would never purchase a boat with core the below the water line ever again. Yes I understand there a many out there without issue but its hard to tell which one is which. Very expensive if you get it wrong.
I love Seawind cats. They have a foam core under the waterline yet I have never heard one having an issue to date but I am gun shy just the same. I was looking at Fontaine Pajots and Lagoon with confirmed glass below the water line and within my budget. I believe the newer models of these manufacturers are now going composite below the water line. Its only my opinion but I have my reasons
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:20   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Just pulled two through hulls on our Manta - one in the solid glass and one in the cored part. Solid underwater hull is 3/8". The glass on the upper hull coring is 5/32" on the outside of the core and 3/32" on the inside. The core itself is 1/2".

The solid part gets much thicker at the keep root and keel bottom.

The uncored hull dimensions are 38.5' long by 4' wide at the widest part.

So it seems like the weight savings is not all that significant. It seems even less significant for a lightweight dagger boat with much less underwater profile.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:24   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I have a lot of miles under the keel of my Privilege 39 without any delamination problems. I don't think the core is a problem as long as the through hulls were properly applied by bringing the glass together so there is no core in the area of through hulls.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 20:37   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Why not a steel cat?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 22:32   #15

Boat: Corbin 39

I think Shionning designed some cats that are cedar stripped with glass on each side that have relatively good performance. I think the only way to get a really good cored hull is to build it yourself. You could add some extra kevlar on the bottom if you plane on running aground.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull