Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 08:22   #1

Boat: Solaris, Sunstream 12, 12.12meters
Solaris Sunstream 12

Anyone have any information about this catamaran?

I believe it is similar to the Solaris Sunstream 40, at approx 12metres LOA,but cannot find any reference to the Sunstream 12..

Thanks for any ideas.
Ocean Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:22   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstream IT 40
Re: Solaris Sunstream 12

I've read on another thread here that the "12's" were experimental? very few made, and have a slight extension of the stern steps in comparison to the 'Standard' Sunstream 40's (No.9) that I'm sailing. On a side note, the Sunstream IT40 "Purr fect" moored in Mindelo, Capa Verde, is No. 6 of the13 made, the interior has been stripped and modified to the current owners tastes, that is,,, it's now mainly a fishing boat rather than a live aboard cruiser, she needs some TLC me thinks
Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 00:08   #3

Hi Agnew

Thanks for the information.

I did buy a 'Sunstream 12'. Seems fairly identical to the 40.Very solidly built,in great condition.

Will you be sailing your Solaris 40 back to Aus?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11   #4

Yes, sailing my "Monami" back to Oz, I'm currently in Mindelo, Capa Verde Islands, waiting for a slipway berth to replace an Alloy, lower rudder mounting post (with stainless steel replacements) after hitting a submerged "something" a few days out in the Atlantic on my first attempted crossing towards Kingston. She's handled 5 days of force 7, and two of 8+ gales, surfing down 15' wave fronts without a whimper so far. They are a very solid vessel, but quite a handful when traveling Solo without a functional Auto pilot. I my Solaris, even with her sometimes annoying little quirks like NOT liking the winds coming over her Port, stern quarter
Old 04-10-2017, 01:44   #5

Wow sounds like you were a little unlucky with the object out in the Atlantic,good to hear 'Monami' survived and handled the big weather.

The original owner of my vessel sailed her new from UK to HK in 1992,where he lived aboard for some years.

We are based in the calmer waters of Malaysia,no plans so far to venture much further afield. As we are not living aboard,still working....

This is my first boat ,so i doubt i can inform you much more than you already know about Solaris,but let me know if i can help in any way.We have 2xYanmar 3JH-4 motors.

Would be very interested of hear of your adventures in the coming weeks/months!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45   #6

I've already had to replace one engine with a slightly smaller 3YM30 after a connecting rod snapped halfway across the English Chanel. The other, original engine will be replaced to duplicate my new unit for parts interchangeability and spare compatibility after I get back home, or up in the Philippines where I plan to visit friends and travel around their magnificent Islands. I also intend to have my mast pulled and remove the "inmast" furling system as it's been nothing but a pain in the rear end, I'll be reverting to the original boom furling and have my sails remade/ stitched to suit,, as their labor and materials costs are a lot more reasonable than anywhere in Europe.
There was another Sunstream that an Australian Engineer owner but it was sold on his way back to Darwin before I had the funds available, and a second vessel in Prezza also slipped thru my fingers as the Agent couldn't get his act together hence the English boat I'm now living on,,, Sandra Clayton's "Voyager" if you have read her series of books about her adventures from the Mediterranean across the top and into the Caribbean and back, her books came with Monami and I'm only just starting to read thru then,,, slowly, but she did get down here to this area as the Border Force Police have records of Monami's presence here at Mindelo before
Clear skys and smooth sailing my friend I hope our paths cross one day and we meet in person!
My call sign is MKAU 5, MMSI: 235028519
Old 04-10-2017, 04:53   #7

Sounds ,like you will be well prepared for your yoyages.

Yes i had heard of your previous owners travels ,so i will make a point to source those books also, thanks.

I have yet to register a new mmsi in the uk,the previous owner was registered in OZ and he cancelled the registration and the Oz mmsi has just officiallly expired ,so i believe i will have to start all over again with that,will let you know when i have those details..

Fair winds and friendly seas, yes hope to meet up one day.
Old 04-10-2017, 14:30   #8
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Congrats to both of you on your recent purchases and future cruising endeavours. As a fellow owner of a Solaris Sunstream 40 I can echo your comments about solid construction and seaworthiness. Enjoy!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 06:07   #9

Hi Brad

Just wondering how things going in these strange (covid19) times.

We still here in Malaysia,just travelling Penang/Langkawi areas,although 2020 was basically a non event of course sailing wise.

Cheers

Tags
solar