Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-04-2015, 19:06   #46

Boat: Still building
Re: So Much To Learn...So Intimidating!

One of the last worrisome things about multis is that they are equally stable either way up.

Of course, once the boat flips wrong way up, then there is the worry about how to reverse the situation, but at least the boat still floats, and if you've done your homework on 'multihull upside down survival' than you at least have a better chance of having a less worrisome time of it than, say, a monohull sailor who's stuck with an inflatable liferaft as their only 'self-rescue' option.

'Course, 2000nm from the nearest land, this point is probably somewhat academic, but either way, make sure you have an in-date EPIRB in your 'abandon ship pack'.

If all else fails, it's nice to know that you can can call the cavalry.

As a multi sailor myself, I second the cat choice, and 35-40' is about the minimum for a comfortable cat with useful space, whereas you could start sooner, smaller - and cheaper - in a mono.

But as you said initially 'buying new' then I presume you have either won Lotto, so you can buy new and sail away, OR you're planning on keeping on working for part of the year at least in order to pay off the boat.

I double-second the 'buy second-hand' approach. Let someone else eat the depreciation. Pay the money for a proper, professional, inspection, on the hard and in the water, to check all systems *first*.

Anything old, not working, needing replacing then become bargaining points with the vendor.

Bottom line is: buy the best boat you can afford. Not the biggest, or the one with the most systems, although the 'best' boat may have all those..

Repairing fibreglass is not difficult, even Robert Redford can do it.

Making it look like a professional 'gelcoat quality' repair can be left to the professionals back in dock - or you can ask around and get someone to show you how to do it. BUt if you find you don't like fibreglassing, or cleaning the hulls for anti-fouling, then be sure to budget for paying someone to do that for you.

But read, read read...and then read some more.

You don't need to know *everything*, you only need to understand the basics, so that if something fails, you can 'work around it'.

Like the duct repair to the hose, previously mentioned. I keep metal putty, self-amalgamating tape, duct tape and wire, universal clamps - and don't forget the wooden plugs to match each of your through-hulls.

You don't need to know every knot ever designed, but there are probably a half-dozen that you 'need to know'.

Don't place total faith in electronics - make sure you have a paper map of the basic area you're sailing in, and keep it marked up to date so you know where you 'were' at least a few hours ago, and can then roughly dead-reckon where you 'ought' to be, and from there, work out a compass course to get where you need to be.

Take another charter and practice the different anchoring techniques. Turn off the electronics and figure out how to make passage without them, knowing that they are a flick-of-a-switch away if you get panicky.

Practice sailing into a slip or wharf without the engine, knowing that if it goes tits up you can quickly start them. Or better still, start them, and leave them in neutral, and practice sailing in. Ditto picking up a mooring.

Then if the engines fail, you don't feel helpless as 'it's happened before' and you survived.

But as others have said, just go. You will learn as you go. And stuff will break. But the sun will still come up the following day.

And think about all those future sunrises.....

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:07   #47

Re: So Much To Learn...So Intimidating!

If you wait till you know it all you'll never go. Look, some people treat cruising like camping and just do it barebones and simple, others have floating first class hotels, decide where on the scale you sit, learn some basics and get out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: