Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 16:15   #1

Boat: Simpson 12
So, I lost a propellor today.

Hi, I noticed on passage today that the port engine wasn't providing any thrust. After checking the engine and finding nothing wrong I waiting until we arrived at our destination before jumping in to have a look. Lo and behold, the prop was gone.

Anyway, I have yanmar 3gm30y engines with yanmar sd20 sail drives and 2 blade folding props, not sure what brand exactly, but they look a lot like Flexofold.

Can anyone give me a lesson on how the prop attaches to the shaft? I just need to know what parts to order. Is it just the prop? Or are there other parts that need to be ordered along with it like washers, nuts, keys, etc? Or should I just get a mechanic to sort it all out?

Thanks!
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:48   #2

Re: So, I lost a propellor today.

Have you looked at the manual? There's often exploded views with all the part numbers shown.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:52   #3

Boat: Simpson 12

I have looked at the sail drive manual, and it shows a fixed prop, where as mine was a folding prop. So not sure if it relates.
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 19:47   #4

If all you have left is the shaft, just order a new prop.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:10   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Hi, I noticed on passage today that the port engine wasn't providing any thrust. After checking the engine and finding nothing wrong I waiting until we arrived at our destination before jumping in to have a look. Lo and behold, the prop was gone.

Anyway, I have yanmar 3gm30y engines with yanmar sd20 sail drives and 2 blade folding props, not sure what brand exactly, but they look a lot like Flexofold.

Can anyone give me a lesson on how the prop attaches to the shaft? I just need to know what parts to order. Is it just the prop? Or are there other parts that need to be ordered along with it like washers, nuts, keys, etc? Or should I just get a mechanic to sort it all out?

Thanks!
OK, I don't know about sail drives but almost all props have a taper that matches the shaft, a keyway (and key) and a nut (or two). The nut provides the pressure needed to push the prop hard onto the taper. The key is to stop the prop and shaft from turning while you tighten the nut.

Have a look at your starboard one and you will get the idea. Presumably both props are the same.

The SD manual should give detail about shaft size and taper etc.

It's not rocket science but there some things that you need to know to get it right. I'm guessing that someone got the port one wrong and it maybe the starboard one is about to fall off!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:13   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
So, I lost a propellor today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post

Thanks!

I’d pull the other one and use it as a baseline for comparison. You’ll soon see what is missing and at the same time it is an opportunity to figure out if what caused the loss of the first prop might also happen to the other prop.

Edit: oh, I see wottie has the same idea.
Old 15-07-2019, 22:27   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

There is no taper on a saildrive shaft. It uses a splined shaft. The Yanmar and Volvo props have identical splines and are interchangeable. I am familiar with the Volvo, not the Yanmar but you have lost the retaining bolt, the retaining nut (or cone), a plastic washer and possibly your line cutter/ spacer.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:31   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
There is no taper on a saildrive shaft. It uses a splined shaft. The Yanmar and Volvo props have identical splines and are interchangeable. I am familiar with the Volvo, not the Yanmar but you have lost the retaining bolt, the retaining nut (or cone), a plastic washer and possibly your line cutter/ spacer.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 00:54   #9

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1320

I have 3YM30’s with SD20’s and had a folding prop fall off a few years ago.
Different brands have different systems to hold the prop onto the splined shaft, so you may have to decide on what prop you want to put on first.
As an example, the fixed prop can be installed underwater as it often uses a ‘crown’ nut that can be wired on so it won’t unwind and loosen but the Gori that fell off needed to be out of the water to install as it requires specific torques and loctite on the main nut and retaining screw.
Just another decision to make and spend your cruising dollars on sorry.
Sberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 01:11   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

I surveyed a yacht with a Yanmar sail drive and the prop was loose. When the mechanic removed the prop the shaft snapped as well. Turned into an expensive exercise.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 08:57   #11

The folding props have a lot of little parts that have to be just right. I would get a folding prop expert to mount it, especially if you want to mount it with the boat in the water, the chances of losing a part or not setting it up correctly are too high. Usually, there are folks around who specialize on servicing a specific brand of folding props, they are the best to get the job done right.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 10:03   #12

I’ve lost a Volvo penta folding prop before.

1. Check carefully for part numbers on the existing prop that may help identify the make and model. Mine had 2-3 sets of numbers.

2. Once you get this, get the torque specs for the screws/bolts.

3. Decide if you’re going to :

A. Haul the boat to install ( just hang it in the straps)
B. Install in water (use blue gel locktite, better than nothing)
C. Drive close to shore, wait for tide to go out and expose the sail drive . If you haul or beach, consider draing saildrive oil as you can get a complete drain. Seals too if necessary. Lots of YouTube on this.

Both my props were removed and replaced by a big yard during a maintenance haul out . One prop threw 10 hours operating time afterwards. Locktite was supposedly used. My question/dilemma was why one prop lost but not the other. And if one had locktite but for some reason the tech forgot to apply on the other, that might explain the reason.
But then I had to decide whether to haul to install.
I was in the Bahamas at the time, the prop was in 12000’ of water and haul out options very limited. I self installed underwater using the gel version of locktite. For the next 10 legs using engines, I dove each time and checked both props bolts like a maniac...no offense to people from Maine. 6 months and many engine hours later, all is well.
xhogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 10:11   #13

Boat: 32 feet of love

this discussion is giving me courage to hop in the water. I just painted bottom and swapped my prop and after bringing her home remembered that I forgot to bend the cotter pin securing the shaft nut.

i'm hoping the water will be above 10C today...
FYI I motored 17 miles from the yard to home - i'll report back if the unbent cotter pin is still there, and if not - if the holes for the cotter pin are still lined up with the nut...
yalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:17   #14

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Seems lots of props fall off Saildrives. If you have folding or feathering props then you need to get the instructions from the manufacturer - they all have different methods for mounting (and hopefully securing) the props. Have never lost one, but have a friend who has lost 3 or 4 over the years, and they were installed by "pros" i.e. divers or a yard.

The fixed props that come with the Yanmar SD's are pretty straight forward and, as far as I know, not as prone to falling off.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:08   #15

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Check to make sure left or right prop.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, rope