Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 14:43   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Of Course, Francis Joyon isn't just your everyday sailor. Have a look at:

Hey, congratulations on winning the lottery, twisty! Sounds like it's party-time in Carolina - well, a small party anyway.

TaoJones
OK i just read that... that is to much boat! lol
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 14:48   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Twisty, try posting on the PDQ board. I think there is an owner in Oriental or nearby. Ask on there for someone, that is a great board for information. There is PDQ36.com also, there is an owners map on there showing 2 in NC
Got an address for the PDQ board?

I get up to Oriental a couple times a year as one of my commercial boats is out of there, it may be time for another trip. Thank you!
Old 18-02-2009, 15:13   #48

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Got an address for the PDQ board?

I get up to Oriental a couple times a year as one of my commercial boats is out of there, it may be time for another trip. Thank you!
check pdq36.com

there is a link on there for the owners board and a map of owners.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 15:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
check pdq36.com

there is a link on there for the owners board and a map of owners.
The map was down a few mins ago will check it again later.
Old 18-02-2009, 15:57   #50

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
www.pdqforum.com
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 18:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Thanks!
Old 19-02-2009, 09:19   #52

Keep in mind the bridgedeck clearance (between the hulls underneath) Cats can pound terribly in general at times and ones without a good high clearance can be especially bad. I suggested the Lagoon 37 "on a budget" for that reason.... good clearance... as do other cats of the right manufacture....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 09:28   #53
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
.... good clearance... as do other cats of the right manufacture....
Which Cats might that be?

Pray Tell?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 09:42   #54

Hopefully some others will chime in, the lagoons, privledge, catana, most of the So. African cats I've seen all seem to have pretty good clearance. Geminis, Catalacs, Endeavors... alot of the older ones dont seem to have much. Really doesnt matter that much unless you are going out into the Big Water I suppose as long as the boat (and you) can take the pounding!
Old 19-02-2009, 09:48   #55
cruiser

How much clearance does My Catalac have?. Do you know the design formulas used to determine adequate bridge deck clearance?

Are you aware that my Catalac has more bridge deck clearance than some of the S African boats you mentioned and exceed the design formula by a wide margin? Catalacs among all catamarans have survived the worst storm at sea in recent history and emerged unscathed. Almost all of the 600 boats built are still sailing because of their build quality and the fact that theirs hulls can not delaminate.

My Point is that your posts could be construed as being inaccurate. I'm certain you are well versed on many subjects, perhaps better than this one?
Old 19-02-2009, 10:33   #56

Hey, sorry I ruffled your feathers, I should have cheked the picture you display.... didnt realize you had a catalac! My point in this whole conversation for a buyer who apparently has not owned a cat is that bridgedeck clearance is a consideration. No boat is perfect and every boat is a compromise for sure. I have seen heavily loaded small cats in the Bahamas with what looks like a foot+ left for clearance! These people only moved when necessary and were very careful about when and where they moved. But as I remember, they went down to the Bahamas every year! I am an engineer and have been involved with the design of Aluminum Power boats for the US Government, however, I make no claim to being a Marine Architect or even call myself a boat designer. Didn't realize that was a requirement to try to help out a fellow sailor on this board. There is nothing inaccurate about Bridgedeck clearance being an important feature for a cruising cat. Looking at your photo, it would be interesting to know how much your Catalac has for clearance at the rear of the cockpit.
Old 19-02-2009, 10:55   #57
cruiser

I'm sure your area of expertise, is like all of us. Your own boat
Old 19-02-2009, 11:05   #58

For sure, no easy answers in boats. A boat is the sum of all the parts and many boats that might not pass the Architects favorite numbers have likely sailed many horizons. Whatever gets ya' there! I was able to carefully take my dingy with engine between the hulls of my older Lagoon 42 (not that you want to do that!), but on the other hand the boat was a little deeper draft than you would prefer in a cat I suppose. Your Catalac appears to have good full bow shape forward, which I would imagine would be a good feature when racing down a wave front at 12 knots!
Old 19-02-2009, 11:45   #59
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Cheechako, no one is arguing with your suggestion that bridgedeck clearance is an important feature - it is with your suggestion that Lagoons, Privilege, Catanas and the South African cats you have seen all feature good clearance, whereas the Gemini's and Catalacs do not.

Firstly, as regards Lagoon, many of their newer designs are decidedly low on clearance, especially for boats that carry so much beam. Further, despite the claims of Lagoon, most naval architects do not believe that 'nacelles' only inches off the water are a substitue for proper clearance. Indeed, although it is not named, a photo of a recent Lagoon is actually used in a recent book on Multihulls to exemplify inadequate clearance.

Furthermore, the newer Catanas feature large, flat bottomed protrusions on the inside of the hulls below the bridgedeck that limit clearance at that location to about a foot. Hence, while the advertised bridgedeck clearance appears fine, the actual clearance is substantially less.

Finally, many of the South African built cats (eg. Leopards and Moorings) were notorious for inadequate bridgedeck clearance when measured by any recognized formula.

Were you aware that what is adequate in terms of bridgedeck clearance is not a static measurement, but one that is most commonly put as a proportion of beam? I gather not. Nevertheless, a much narrower boat such as the Gemini or Catalac 8M needs much less clearance than a much beamier boat such as your Lagoon. Indeed, I would guess that 15 inches on Rick's cat would be just as effective as 24 inches on your Lagoon.

Furthermore, your posting completely disregards the effect on pounding of other factors such as:

1. length of the bridgedeck.
2. weight in the ends of the boat.
3. bouyancy in the bows.
4. hydrodynamic aids against compressing the bows such as 'knuckles' above the waterline, but below the bridgedeck.
5. shape of the bridgedeck and especially, whether the leading edge is blunt (frequently due to forward athwartship doubles), or a gentle curve aft (such as Rick's Catalac.

I suspect that Rick's issue with your posting was that it tended to mis-inform a prospective buyer, rather than elucidating her on what is a complex subject.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:27   #60

Maybe I mistakenly gleaned from the original post that a new $400,000 catamaran was not an option. My answers were meant to be in the context of a lower budget. Thus the ref to Lagoons like the older 37. I dont believe I said "all" on any I mentioned. Obviously there are a lot of factors to be considered, including the intended use of the boat. Again, the OLDER Lagoons have a very large radius blending the bridgedeck to the hulls. The number I've heard for Bridgedeck clearance is 12-15%. Let's face it, part of that consideration is how "tall" you can really make a smaller cat due to other factors. Regardless of size, lower to the water will create more slapping I would think. although admitted, there are other factors like speed and wave period. Maybe that is why many have said a cat for offshore should be 40 feet or more....... at any rate.... all these posts are giving the prospective buyer more knowledge... I'm not sure any of us should be giving too detailed technical data on a forum, but rather help to get the buyer thinking about doing their own research... "peace"