Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 10:24   #16

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl
Re: So I Got Hit By A Cruise Ship....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Newhaul remembers that I had another damage issue from high winds back in November. The boat was insured and I received a check for the damage for that that I still haven't fixed. So now I get to fix both with just the one haulout ($510) and associated hassle. I'm hoping to do all the work and have some left over. It's crazy but I had 2 incidents and have received checks for almost 1/2 the value of the boat.
As long as the repairs are not double the value of the boat...it would be surprising if there is no structural damage from being driven up onto the dock.

Hope Lady Luck is smiling on you!
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 11:43   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It's a tri and the amas are almost out of the water sitting still. When he hit the port ama the starboard ama lifted up. I think it rode up over the fenders, some are tied to the dock and some are tied to the boat. The ama wasn't all the way on top of the dock, just the bow. There's no hull deformity inside the amas or anywhere. There's no keel and the daggerboard was up.

It's cold molded West System epoxy built and a pretty stout little tri. I'm a lifelong carpenter, builder, contractor so working on the boat doesn't scare me. I have done glass work on my many surfboards and windsurfers also. I look at it more of a challenge than a disaster.
Old 19-02-2016, 11:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So I Got Hit By A Cruise Ship....

Quote:
Newhaul remembers that I had another damage issue from high winds back in November. The boat was insured and I received a check for the damage for that that I still haven't fixed. So now I get to fix both with just the one haulout ($510) and associated hassle. I'm hoping to do all the work and have some left over. It's crazy but I had 2 incidents and have received checks for almost 1/2 the value of the boat.
One could almost say.. "A Funnybone Incident.."
As long as your smiling its good..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:27   #19

I'm with the OP. Why make this into a mountain? Getting surveys and talking to insurance companies will occupy him for months. What are those hours of his time worth? Seems a lot of trouble for on the off chance that there's some hidden damage or he's underestimated the repair cost. He knows he's taking a small risk. Life's a risk.

And there's good karma in not dragging the "good guy" who hit him but wanted to make it good through more misery. Every sailor knows karma is important.

He's supposed to file the CG form if the damage is over $2000 - but the CG is mostly worried about deaths, injuries and sunken boats. They don't care about this. If someone ever asks, he can apologize that it slipped his mind or got lost in the mail and file it.

And with a few more great boat stories like this, he'll never need to pay for a beer again.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:40   #20

Thanks Carl.
Old 19-02-2016, 13:36   #21

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I am about 52 miles from a haulout (24' beam!) to do the complete out of water damage survey. The local surveyer wants $600 plus travel time even though he's only 20 miles away to do an in water damage survey. We just negotiated a settlement signed a release and went on with our lives. I deposited the check yesterday. I'm done with that part. The boat was only dinged up. No cracks in any structural areas or at all and no water ingress.

The hard part will be getting the boat to Port Townsend and arranging for a ride back and then driving back up there for repairs which is about 1 1/2 hours each way. I'm looking at that part as an adventure!

Edit: Ron the settlement was way more than $500 and was almost 25% of the value of the boat.
I agree with what you have done Sand crab. If you can reach an appropriate settlement, then thats the best way to do it well done.

As long as your sure its done
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 13:48   #22

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Just for the record, I doubt anyone here intended their advice to be negative...quite the contrary. There is always a possibility of hidden damage in that sort of accident, and being prepared for any eventuality is just common sense.

I am positive that all the comments here are well intentioned, and everyone wishes SandCrab the best...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:28   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Sorry to hear of your troubles Bob. She is one sweet looking boat and wish you the best.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 19:12   #24

OMG. My respect to the thread starter and I'm VERY surprised by some replies.

I thought in sail world things are still making more sense than on the land, where people and things not making any sense anymore. Everyone is scared, suspicious, not able to make ANY sole decisions - need estimators and surveyors for that. No one wants to take ANY responsibility in his life. Everyone seems to want suing everyone using insurance companies etc. etc...
How could you travel oceans, if you're totally relying on surveyors and insurance?!
Insurance companies - biggest scam in the world. They MAKE YOU THINK that you can not survive without them. They teach you to be afraid any responsibility in your life, "leave it to professionals". Yea, sure, they MIGHT help in some cases. But, like already mentioned: "Years of your life, tons of aggravation dealing with bureaucrats and lawyers as they play their endless games, $1000s of out of pocket and maybe, just maybe, you'll get some of it back. It's a mugs game!"
Guy received a check for 25% of his boat value, and he mentioned, he already had some money from other incident, bringing total to almost 50% of value. I'm sure, he has two hands, and he can do some if not most work, and actually he can make money out of these incidents. And THAT'S IT! It's over, he will continue enjoying his life, not fighting with insurance company, surveyors etc.

Same goes on the land. When my van was hit by some pure guy on work truck, I looked at my van couple minutes, figured, that I probably can find cheap body shop to paint one side for $200-$300. Plus some repairs that I can do myself. Or I can do everything myself.
Yes, I could call insurance, report that incident, etc.etc. At the end claim would be no less than $2-3K (I know that as professional). Bunch of people would make money on this, pure guy would have his insurance premium raised , I would loose time dealing with all of this...And you know what? I told to the guy:"Give me $300 and drive safe". He gave me cash, and we both just carry on, no hard feelings.

It is OK - to take responsibility in your life. Make sole decisions, learn things to be able make estimates without these estimators, many of them just plain stupid - I know what I'm talking about!
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 21:45   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well said, Ranchero! Any time one can sort things out without involving third party leeches, the world is a better place. And if Sand Crab finds horrible things down the road, well, I bet he's man enough to deal with the issues. I think he did the right thing at the time.

Jim
Old 19-02-2016, 22:00   #26

Sorry for my english, I know, it's far away from being perfect
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:15   #27

Nice day today. I'm gonna go sailing.
Old 20-02-2016, 07:18   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Have fun I gotta do the honey do list today.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:28   #29

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

It's the only place you'll be safe!
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
It's the only place you'll be safe!